Forza exhaust valve controller possibly causing error code? | FerrariChat

Forza exhaust valve controller possibly causing error code?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mimmo Blue, Jul 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I had installed the Forza Controller on my 360 when I first bought it almost 2 years ago.
    The controller works well as it should.
    I would start the car in normal mode, meaning the valves would open at start up and then close a second or 2 later. I could use the remote buttons on the fob to then open or close the valves at any time.
    I recently installed a 430 muffler with exhaust pipes with valves on my 360.
    Now when I start the car the valves do not momentarily go to the open position and then close a couple of seconds later as they operated previously.
    The fob however does work and I am still able to open and close them without issue once the car is started.
    I'm trying to figure out what coud cause this change in behavior.
    The original hoses that go to the 360 valves are too short so I had to replace the length of hose that goes from the solenoid to the exhaust valves as the valves positions are now further away towards the muffler.
    The original hoses on the 360 have a very thick wall, and I was not able to find anything similar locally. The hoses I installed going from the solenoids to the valves now have a thinner wall.
    I am thinking is it possible that on start up the initial vaccum draw on cranking is higher and collapses the hoses?
    I also recently got a P0411 code pop up pertaining to "secondary air injection system incorrect flow detected" I can hear the air pump running, after investigating, although to tell the truth I never had noticed the very faint high pitch coming from it until now when I was listening for it to see if it was running.
    Could it be with the valves not opening on initial startup that the flow is restricted causing this error Code?

2. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Tested my air injection blower last night.
    Does this sound normal?

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The possible collapse of the thin hose as to why the exhaust is not closing is odd if it functions normally after it has run for some time. The vacuum negative pressure should be the same at start up as it is later. Given that the low flow error is a system that runs at start up, I would make sure you don't have a vacuum leak issue somewhere. I have had this error on several occasions and it is almost always an electric controlled vacuum valve no longer functioning.

Mimmo Blue and Qavion like this.
  4. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Thank you for the reply.
    I believe I found a possible vacuum leak.
    Line going to the two vacuum controlled valves for the air injection system.
    I believe I also found a source for the thick wall vacuum hoses.
    One of the hoses had Walton written on it.
    A quick Google search of Walton Vacuum hoses turned up their website. Their vacuum hoses are branded as Turbosmart.
    Their reinforced vacuum hoses, 4mm diameter is part number TS HVR0403-BK.
    I will be ordering to replace this cracked piece plus for the exhaust valves that now need to be longer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider, Ferrari Tech and Qavion like this.
  5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Dom, I'm in Oakville (360 3 pedals also) in case you ever want to compare.
    I don't think my air pump makes the same noise.

Fred

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  6. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I did a quick temporary fix of the cracked vacuum line, by wrapping it with some electrical tape, until new hose arrives.
    I went for a ride last night, no more codes.
    I also noticed the high pitched sound from the injection blower is now gone when I start the car.
    I am assuming the high pitch noise was caused by the cracked vacuum line not allowing the valve to open, and thereby putting back pressure onto the blower.

hessank, Ferrari Tech and Qavion like this.
  7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred