Forza Gilles... | FerrariChat

Forza Gilles...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Goggles Pisano, May 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano Karting

May 22, 2002
    #1 Goggles Pisano, May 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    At its clipping point, at the top of a rise, the Ferrari was already sideways, its driver winding on opposite lock. As it came past me, plunging downhill now, the tail stayed out, further and further, and still Gilles had his foot hard in it. As the car reached the bottom of the dip, the situation looked hopeless, for now it was virtually broadside, full lock on, Villeneuve's head pointing up the road - out of the side of the cockpit...

Somehow, though, the Ferrari did not spin, finally snapping back into line as it grazed the catch fencing, then rocketing away up the hill. For more than 100 yards, I swear it, the car was sideways, at over 130mph. "That's genius," said David Hobbs, watching with me. "Are you seriously telling me he's won two Grands Prix in that?"

Yes, he had. And one of them was Monaco.

-Nigel Roebuck, Autosport
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    This is what F1 was meant to be.

Today, if a car slides, the driver parks it and says it's undriveable.

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Yeah, and Racing mean't passing people on the track not in the pits. Anybody watch Jarama 1981? Perfect lesson in Racing.

4. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    I share your sentiments. Whenever a commentator talks about "pit stop strategy", especially in the context of how Ferrari wins races with their excellent "thinking on their feet in altering their pitting strategy", I want to put my fist through the TV.

I'm not angry at Ferrari or any one team, they're just playing to win, and that's a good thing. I'm just so disappointed that this "sport" has become as pussified as it has.

5. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Probably his greatest victory; car had a strong motor (when it didn't blow up) and good straightline speed but was an evil handler even on its best day....Again, back in those days a great driver would always make a bad car look good.

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Do you remember what he called the 126C1? My Red Cadillac with worn out shocks. I too agree this was his greatest victory, although he won the race prior at Monaco in that Turbo car was amazing as well.

It is just sad that Racing is equated with Pit Strategy instead of on track moves. Even in the Turbo Era they passed each other on the track as well as getting Fuel and Tires.

7. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes I remember that victory as well-taped the race on my Sony Betamax when "Wide World of Sports" covered it with Jackie Stewart. I think Gilles was third and both Piquet and Jones had mechanical issues near the end of the race basically handing it to Gilles. Gilles won Spain in a brilliant driving display but again a little luck came his way when Jones flew off the road....The way he held off Laffite and the rest of the pack was brilliant-he literally smoked them on the straights. I remember reading Rob Walker's race report in Road & Track about Gilles' rear tires being totally worn down between the car sliding around so much and the power.

My favorite GP of all time? Loved 1977 Long Beach-Lauda and 2 future World Champions (Andretti & Schechter) going at it in the streets. Schechter was in 1st place with a new car (try that today folks!) only to have a tire go flat 2-3 laps from the end; however Andretti and Lauda were so close the entire race you could have thrown a blanket over them. Unlike Monaco, Long Beach had places to actually pass...

Favorite last laps of a race-French GP 1979. No explaination necessary...

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Excellent !