Found an E36 M3...questions and nervous...step inside please... | FerrariChat

Found an E36 M3...questions and nervous...step inside please...

Discussion in 'Other German' started by BriSalig, Sep 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BriSalig

BriSalig Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hey--I have been hunting for an E36 M3 Sedan for a while now...and I finally found a beautiful one. Its a 1998, perfect color combo, and has like 44.5k miles on it. It is located in San Francisco, and will not be shipped to me in Saint Louis until I buy it :( The dealer that is working it all out is out of Cincinatti Ohio--and I met with him yesterday. He seemed legitimate, and I have read good things about him online.
    Im starting to get scared before making the final decision! I keep going back and forth, thinking how perfect it is for me, and then thinking how many problems it could be for me. Anyone think I should NOT pull the trigger here? I am hesitant because I could be walking into a car with 10 year old problems...and I dont want to pay an enormous amount for yearly service. I dont put huge miles on cars, nor do I abuse them, but I do have fun, and it would be a daily driver. The dealer says this car is TOP of the line, one of the best that hes seen, etc etc. It is prettty expensive for a 10 year old M3/4, and I also have to pay to get it shipped to me.

The other option is to get a new BMW 328, with a warranty etc. It would be more expensive outright, but I am more willing to do that upfront, (I dont wanna get slapped with the repair bills over and over again) Its just not the same as the E36 M3 in my mind, I like the older car much better. Practical side says go for the new car, enthusiast side says go for the M3--as I have loved them since I was 15.

Please help me out!

2. cicatrix

cicatrix Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    USA 1
    bmws are expensive out of warranty. M cars are even more expensive out of warranty. If you are ok with that, then get it. Btw, how much are they asking for the car?

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    1. Give us the full run down on the car, maintenance history, any major repairs, anything not done, any damage, wear and tear etc.

2. You are looking at buying a 12 year old race car, not a 10 year old race car. The car was most likely sold in the fall, winter of '96 or the spring of 97 making it nearly 12 years old on the button.

3. M cars have higher replacement costs for parts than regular BMW's of the same size. They are also far more likely to have their {excuse my language} cocks ragged for pretty much their whole lives compared with BMW's of the same size with smaller motors and "lesser" suspensions.

That's not to say the car you're looking at has been torn apart but the car is suspect and not being able to see it in person and have a trusted person inspect the car is a gamble all on its own. If I was worried about a car I was buying I simple wouldn't buy it. Are you going to be one of those guys who worries about hitting pot holes because it may result in a repair bill? Will you fret when the car goes in for a service and perhaps a few issues are found? Are you going to house the car in a garage every night or perhaps change bedrooms because the car is in the driveway at the front of the house and you sleep in the back of the house?

I've seen hundreds and hundreds of people worry about money when they buy a car like this and it IS NOT worth it. Buy a newer regular 3 series that has "more life" in it and cheaper/ easier repair bills. If you go ahead with the purchase I hope you can enjoy the car but it seems like you're starting off on the very wrong foot. Also with the market in this kind of shape a regular 3 series with a smaller motor will be easier to find since soo many of them were sold and their won't be as big a fight between buyers since there is enough to go around.

P.S. Don't forget the PPI before you buy, that's a hundred bucks that is worth thousands more. I buy and flip these cars for fun and the only time I didn't make a profit {after driving the car for a few years} was on a car I bought sight unseen and with an "OK" from a mechanic I barely knew. Be smart.

4. BriSalig

BriSalig Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew

The car was sold in late 1998. It was built in the last month of production for the M3 sedans. It was adult owned, and maintained VERY well. I do not get the impression that it was ragged on. The visuals of the car are perfect, no accidents, no panels replaced (all original VIN tags) and the history comes up clean. It needs nothing. I want to have a PPI done in San Francisco, so if anyone knows of a place, please let me know.

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Why are you dealing with a dealer from Cinci when the car is in San Fran?

If this was a private sale and they wanted more than $10,000 taxes included I would tell them to die a horrible death. You'll always pay a few grand more at a dealership over a private sale. Someone sold that car to the dealership for a few to several grand less than what you'll pay. The car would have been detailed, perhaps the oil and a few filters were changed but only the bare minimum unless stated otherwise and proven. So right off the bat the previous owner thought the car was worth less than what you are willing to pay and he knew the car before hand.

The more I think about it the more I'm reminded of how much I like private sales, you take the car for your own PPI to your own guys and decide how much work it will need in the future, what work was done and that gives you a great sense for the value of the car and then you take the car back to its owner and work out a deal. If the car needs work, get a quote printed up and take that with you to show the owner and tell him to take $3,000 off the price on the registration forms so you're first minor service is paid for with the cash you save on the tax.

6. BriSalig

BriSalig Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the replies.
    The dealer in Cincy sold the car to the guy in San Fran. The guy in San Fran has owned the car for 8 months, however does not need it(now needs a truck for what he does) The dealer saw the car in Feb, (had it in cincy) so the pics I have seen are of the car in Feb. This dealer, likes to buy the cars back from clients, so he asked the guy in San Fran to let him sell the car again. Currently the car is sitting under a cover in the owners garage--waiting to be shipped to whereever the dealer sells the car to. (he seems to think itll go to california) I will PM you the price of the car, which is totally non negotiable.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Here are a few photos of a ten year old 540. I bought it when it was seven years old. The first link with the single picture is from the first day I bought it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v615/NeilMacKay/98%20BMW%20540i%206%20speed/?action=view&current=SA400015.jpg

The second link is after what more that two years of driving the car like a race car, lending it to friends, crashing it and putting over 20,000 miles on it. It looks better after the years that I had it during the end of winter with the winter tires and wheel still on it than it did when I first bought it. My point is these cars can take a boat load of abuse and show ZERO signs of the mishandling for many years, they were built well and hide damage and aggressive driving styles very well.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v615/NeilMacKay/98%20BMW%20540i%206%20speed%20II/

You car being "adult owned" means nothing, I've worked with 50 year old guys that pounded their cars harder than I did. Thousands of BMW owners track their cars religiously and other tens of thousands do it from time to time. What "gives you the impression that it wasn't abused?" Why would someone buy an M3 and not drive it hard? Why wouldn't they have picked up a regular 3 series and saved $20,000 in purchase price, tax, fuel, insurance and repair costs? Everyone I talked to at BMW loved their M cars for one reason, they were faster, sportier and handled better than a regular BMW. That's why M cars are purchased from new and that's why they are purchased from used.

When you say the history "comes up clean" Do you have the history from day one? No dealer will give that to you unless you have every owners permission down the line. And clean means what? in the last 11 years was every part of the suspension replaced at least once? How about brake lines, fuel lines? Any engine work? How about emissions? That can sink your boat in a hurry! The latest 5 series I had needed over $5,000 for the cat converters and your car no longer qualifies under the emissions warranty. A 4 wheel brake job can be a couple of thousand if there are rusty parts/ worn parts that break during the replacement of others.

P.S. You can't tell that my hood was replaced and you can't tell it was in a collision with another car that was totaled by the impact. It's not easy to destroy a 2003 Toyota Corolla but my 540 did in one foul swoop. The only reason we replaced the hood was because the impact kinked a little bit beside the grills.

P.P.S. In this post that I quoted from you, you sound like the seller of this car. You seem eager to say the car is sound even though you haven't seen the car. I hope you aren't blinding yourself with emotion, that happens a lot with BMW's and other "dreams". I still do that from time to time with my own cars and I've had a few dozen pass through my driveways.

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Yeah, PM me the price and also let me know why there isn't a BMW logo on the steering wheel? Did you ask the dealer if and of the dash lights weren't working? That's a costly issue to handle and it's very annoying if you don't fix it.

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How much is it? Isn't a new regular 3er better than the old M3? I'm pretty sure it is, not only in general, but performance too.

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    1st. low mileage e36 m3 are becoming very hard to find. i have two friends looking for cars.

2nd. never buy a car sight unseen.

3rd. see number 2.

make your deal contingent on a PPI and visual inspection upon shipment back to cinci.

11. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    1. PPI $200
    2. verify numbered panels
    3. check vanos
    4. waterpump and cooling system weakness
    5. Odometer can be replaced and driven to 44k miles.
    6. check carfax and autocheck and call dealers to verify mileage and work done under warranty

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #12 GuyIncognito, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
    I had an E36 M3 (2 door) back in the day and loved it. however, I wouldn't buy one now to use as a daily driver. track/DE/autocross car, sure. but M3s are notorious for being driven hard, and often have deferred maintenance and half-assed repairs due to high costs. the new 328 is nearly as fast, less likely to crap out on you, has a warranty and free scheduled maintenance. a much better "sleep at night" proposition. especially if the car you're looking at is 2000 miles west, being represented by a dealer 300 miles southeast....

btw where in St. Louis are you? your profile says you're in Indiana. new to the Lou?

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I'll add to check
    7. diff mounts
    8. rear upper shock mounts
    9. flex disk aka guibo and center drive shaft support

parts aren't as bad as Ferrari but much higher than the std car. also the E46 328 or 330 is faster handles better and far more comfortable. the Vanos was further improved by that model too.

14. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    I second the previous two posts!

I have an E36 328i that is heavily modified and it has been BULLETPROOF in the 4 yrs I have owned it. They are fantastic cars. The only major issue is the cooling system as mentioned above. Usually these should be replaced with the updated waterpump and T-Stat and it is not *that* expensive to do so (ie. 500$ or so). So long as there is service history with the car and it has been maintained well, you should have nothing to worry about.

15. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    Can you post the price here? I agree, if it is more than 10K then it's a bad deal. E36 sedans have held up pretty poorly. That said, have you driven an E36 M3? I've owned a couple and each time was unimpressed and ended up selling them. BTW, I'm in SF if you need a pair of eyes on the car.

16. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    My e46 328 has been mostly reliable. In 2.5 years of ownership I've replaced the waterpump and power steering pump. It's running a little rough right now so I think it needs o2 sensors. Other than that no problems. There are so many BMW's on the roads these days that parts are easy to find and not too expensive as long as you don't buy from a dealer.

17. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Buying sight unseen? Crazyness.

18. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Bought an e36 M3 track car this spring. $180 ppi found it needed a valve job. Took $2500 off the price.

19. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Can't really add any specific comment about the E36 M3, but considering your alternative, a new BMW, I guess the depreciation hit you'd have to take with a new car would pay for a lot of repairs on the M3...