Found out dealer didn't disclose paint work | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Found out dealer didn't disclose paint work

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dansage, May 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dansage

Dansage Karting

May 20, 2012
    Well yes I'd agree with the CPO terms part but putting in writing that there was no work done on the car at anytime before the sale seems like they were just outright lying.

Who certifies the factory spec criteria? If it's the dealer certifies themselves it's essentially just a rubber stamp, no?

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Are you claiming you have it in writing that "No Work" was ever done on the car?? That sounds very unlikely,... but if you do,... that changes everything.

anunakki and RossoC360 like this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Agreed. But I don't think CPO's say that. They just say up to factory specifications.

Should they disclose it? Sure. If a PPO was done I would expect that in the report if it's that obvious.

anunakki likes this.
  4. Dansage

Dansage Karting

May 20, 2012
    Yes I do. It was also said many times verbally.

5. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    You said you bought from a "Major Dealer". Is this a Authorized Ferrari New Car Dealer?

6. Dansage

Dansage Karting

May 20, 2012
    Yes it is

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    So in summary,...

CPO,... bought from Authorized Ferrari New Car Dealer,... and you have it in writing that "No Work" was ever done on the car... But car has evidence of significant paint work / correction to the tune of $60K reduced value...

Falling back on my Dealer's are the Pro's and never lose philosophy,... I suspect there is some nuance to the verbiage that paint isn't legally work (or there is some specified exception they can invoke)... but I'd get a legal opinion...

I'd be seriously ticked... but I'd get prepared to hear bad news.

8. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    if dealer doesn't help, have every friend make a social media comment on the various forum and social media platforms.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This thread has prompted me to think about what ‘work’ means. Ignoring the CPO requirements for a moment.

My 328 has had the front bumper touched up and resprayed to remove 73,000 miles worth of road rash and one valet incident that chipped the clear coat down to the primer. All cosmetic.

My 430 will soon have the front bumper touched up and patched to correct years of chin scraping due to a previous owner lowering the front springs.

My Exige has had the 3M film touched up here and there after track debris has started to peel it back in a couple of spots.

In my mind, all of the above is normal wear and tear. If I were selling any of the above cars, and the buyer asked me whether any work was done, I would honestly reply “No, just maintenance and upkeep.” I wouldn’t try to hide what maintenance and upkeep had been done, but but I wouldn’t see that stuff as having ‘work’ done.

So I guess my question is, at what point do you think it becomes mandatory to raise a red flag and say “this car has had work done.”

10. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There is no way that a 200k car's value is decreased by 60k just based on paintwork with a clean carfax. B.S.

11. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    OP's estimate of diminished value,... not mine.

12. Dansage

Dansage Karting

May 20, 2012
    I'm not an appraisal expert nor did I claim to be. I simply am going off the information given to me. Keeping things off a carfax is not rocket science.

13. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Whomever gave you this information is probably trying to take advantage of you, use your head. Also in response to your "rocket science" comment, to keep a carfax clean usually means the owner paid cash........if the repaired damage decreases the value by 60k what was the cost of the damage itself, it would have been a total loss or dam near close and nobody is that interested in preserving a carfax........

14. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    No disrespect but Id have to see that to believe it. Ive bought a lot of cars and several exotics and no dealer Ive ever met will provide that kind of written statement.

15. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    If you have any of the print ad's or website descriptions print them out.

Read carefully to see what they say and hope that something's in print.

FNA hasn't stepped in when several dealers have behaved reprehensibly including Ron Tonkin in Portland (terrible people) and the Vancouver BC dealer.

16. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Just my opinion - why looking at lawyering up so fast? I prefer to discuss face to face with the dealer.
    In this case from the information you have, it's obvious they've failed to disclose information to you about an expensive purchase. Would they like that type of customer feedback to be broadcast on social media, for example.? There's no law against 'reviewing' a business publicly.
    My friend is a car dealer and this is what he said to me: " If someone asks me anything about a car and I know about it, I'll tell them. If they don't ask, I say nothing."
    Personally I find that disgraceful. And I believe the way the dealer has treated you is disgraceful. Forget about you doing whatever due diligence, you maybe should have done, your the damn customer. If you had known about the paint then YOU could have decided whether to proceed. Don't get lawyers, go sort the dealer yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Dealer wont even give op time of day nor does threat of bad yelp or fchat review strike any fear. This is how dealers operate. Its their business model. 1st step is to examine car to find out real damage then send lawyers letter then pray for miracle. Or otoh, forget it ever happened and just enjoy the car as is.

TKSA and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  18. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    So you have multiple “local” dealers. I was just wondering if there was any leverage due to that...

I agree on the lawyering up. You can always do that later if you like paying lawyers.

Interesting that you find that distasteful. I’d take that as refreshingly honest. It’s as good as you can get in buying cars.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#44 Cigarzman, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Really it’s probably 30 grand because that what the normal hit would be on a used Ferrari. In my humble opinion it’s only half as bad as you think it is. That said , I feel badly for the situation you are in. Best, Kirk.

Sidebar : Even without paintwork I think as a trade -30-40 k is the norm.

20. LitzDoc

LitzDoc Rookie

Feb 10, 2018
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a paint meter that is fairly accurate for private use but will not break the bank?
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree.

I would LOVE to see what you have in writing.

Matt

22. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    No need for a meter, they don't work on all substrates and rarely tell the whole story. Learn to spot paintwork and it will be a much more valuable asset.

jjtjr likes this.
  23. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    OP has a written statement from the selling dealer saying "no work" (presuming paint work) was done on the car?

Now you know there was paintwork?

Doesn't seem super complicated to me. If those are the facts, it would seem you have a pretty good position to undo the sale or be compensated.

That said, put me with Anunakki, I'd want to see that written statement.

OP - why not post that for us to see? (if you are serious about wanting the board's input and advice on this matter...that written statement is the key piece of information)

TheDiffuser likes this.
  24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I think your lowest risk lowest cost option is to speak with the dealer management and FNA in a very polite way. If you don't get satisfaction, just enjoy owning the car. Diminished value lawsuits are pretty risky from what I've read on car forums. In 5 years, that difference with others cars will shrink alot.

And yes, you can buy me a lunch in exchange for my sound totally non-legal advice.

25. Dansage

Dansage Karting

May 20, 2012
    As I had said the other day I'm not an appraisal expert so it very well might be worth 30k less rather then 60k.

I do have it as a written statement via texts with the sales person. My question verbatim to him was "was there any damage of any sort or any work of any sort to the car in any mechanical, paint, etc form in the past" to which the response was "No there was none of any kind in any form" I am meeting with the dealer GM this week to discuss and if that doesn't go well I'll put up the entire conversation.

The reason I was asking about lawyering up so quickly was when I approached my sales person after finding out it was being turned around on me as "oh why'd you drive it" "it's the factory's fault" "you're to young to know what you want". I even did my research in giving them the benefit of the doubt that they bought the car from the previous owner without knowing about what happened to it and said it should be covered by their errors and omissions insurance to which I was told I don't understand how that works.