Four silly things about the Speciale...... | FerrariChat

Four silly things about the Speciale......

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Camlet1, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    From two weeks of ownership........

1. It's my first time with Ferrari's capless gas filler system. What a pain in the ass. Thankfully a friendly person on here from Australia advised me to turn the pump nozzle sideways to make the fuel flow, and it works...(thanks!) But makes filling a worry and that sucks on a car like this.

2. To make the on-screen display work you need to keep clicking back to go forward.

3. Washing the car......the front hood/bonnet vents collect water around their seals under the hood (they're doing their job). So when you lift the bonnet to wipe away excess water underneath, the water left around the seals is immediately dumped in the luggage space.

4. The audio speakers are so bad, it's actually funny.

Apart from the above it's great.

2. Woppum

Woppum Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    People need to learn to upgrade to a decent system....not the Ferrari premium but a moral set, plus sub etc. it's an easy fix and will instantly make the Ferrari the best most complete sports car for sale. Just a shame they couldn't off this themselves.

3. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Do you know someone in the UK that could do this on the Speciale without complications?

4. Woppum

Woppum Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    #4 Woppum, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    100%.
    Speak to Greg at auto audio and say Sam L (Woppum) sent u. He will look after you and I advise you replicate my system. It's incredible. They are based in park royal London. To be clear I am not affiliated with the company in any way, but always use them and have recommended them to many friends who are also happy. I believe another member from here replicated my system there once I posted pics of the set up on here originally. (Not sure how to search for they thread, but it's here somewhere).

5. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Cheers mate, and in London too. Much appreciated.

6. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not to hijack this thread but can you tell us at a high level what audio upgrades you made? Thanks!

7. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm not familiar with Ferrari's cap-less fuel system so I poked around and learned a few things:

"This cap-less fuel system was first put into production vehicles by Ford Motor Company on the Ford GT. The advantages on the marketing side of this piece of engineering are the ease of use, the elimination of forgetting to reinstall the fuel cap and that always troublesome process of 'where do I put the cap while I am refueling.'

The bulk of the reasoning behind the design and implementation of this is more to eliminate inadvertent check engine lights. Every time the fuel cap is left off, or left loose, or the little tether that holds the cap to the fuel filler neck gets caught under the cap when tightening, it will generate a false "check engine" warning on the dash. Every time that little light comes on the dash, you have to go to the dealer and have the system checked and diagnosed to see why the light has been turned on. Also ensure you follow the directions on the positioning of the nozzle when refueling. It is possible to damage the sealing devices within this mechanism if you try and force the fuel nozzle from different incorrect angles. Should you be unfortunate enough to run out of fuel, there is a small funnel supplied in the tool kit for adding fuel without damaging the components of the fuel filler."

Ok. Makes sense to me. I'm curious to know what the Owner's manual says about positioning the fuel nozzle so as not to damage the sealing devices? Anybody know this offhand?

8. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    It's funny that you mentioned about the FGT since I learned this the hard way when I apparently damaged the sealing device on my FGT by forcing the nozzle at different angles while trying to refuel because the pump keeps on clicking and triggered to stop due to the backwash of fuel into the nozzle likely due to the poor design of the angle of the neck of the fuel tank. It is one expensive fix (at least for a Ford).

9. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Sam, road noise in speciale is vastly different to italia. Get a louder system this time!!

Rob

10. Woppum

Woppum Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    Haha. Not sure if possible rob
    For those that asked its top of the range carbon fibre cones moral for the doors, moral behind the head and 10" moral carbon fibre sub in the middle. Two moral amps, one for the speakers and one for the sub. If I really want to can drive on the autobahn at 150mph with windows open and still listen to my deep house. Will see if I have any pics.

11. Woppum

Woppum Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    #11 Woppum, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Afraid this is all I can find at the moment. Sub is wrapped in same alcantara and leathe mix with red stitch as rest of car. People think it's stock.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. neil-f

neil-f Karting

Feb 6, 2008
    UK
    You changed to a Speciale now Rob?
    If you are wanting a TDF CS again I know of a good one for sale.

13. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #13 Hud, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Just about to order one Neil, had a demo for a couple of days. only tdf cs i would want is my old one mate ... Nostalgia i guess

14. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Fifth silly thing about the Speciale;

Using the steering wheel mounted buttons (on the dash side of the wheel) you can only scan to the next radio station (basically like ‘seeking’). You can’t jump to your next preset / favourite. Someone please tell me I’m wrong. Having to use the spinning dial to the right of the wheel means taking your hands off the wheel which is counter productive IMO. Thanks. Otherwise great car! Drove a 488 the other day and decided my money is VERY well invested in the Speciale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed Ryan, a 488 cannot compete with a Speciale ...

Did you not find the thread about the 458 Infotainment system ?

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-infotainment-manual.561656/

16. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm so happy I have one without Radio.... seems lots of Problems solved :D

-CD-, Melvok and ajr550 like this.
  17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

So you went with the symphony behind your seat instead ? :)

18. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks a lot ‘Melvok’ - No I hadn’t seen that thread. Thank you for sharing. Although, it appears to confirm my suspicions that those buttons are only a ‘scan’ function.

All good, the radio is only there for the odd favourite song to enhance the overall experience. I can happily put up with a tiny niggle like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    yes, better than any radio / audiosystem

Cigarzman likes this.