Foxwell scan tool | FerrariChat

Foxwell scan tool

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vincep99, Aug 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I have heard that this tool will work on our cars (mine is a 2011 458 Italia)
    https://www.foxwellstore.com/wholesale/Foxwell-nt530-obd2-scanner.html

if you buy the additional SW Authorization service for $60:

https://www.foxwellstore.com/wholesale/foxwell-Nt510-nt520-software-authorization.html

The tool says it comes with 1 free SW Authorization service, I doubt that would include Ferrari so I'd specify my DD.

I doubt it could do oil change reset, as the tool has to communicate with the Factory to check for updates.

I have an Innova 5610 which will reset all the Pcodes, but was curious to know if anyone has used the Foxwell

2. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I once bought a scan tool that was highly recommended on the forums but I could not make it work. It was from China!

One could buy direct or through Amazon for about $10 or $15 more. I chose the Amazon with no hassle return and am glad I did! I returned it without hassle. Just something to think about. Sometimes the lowest price is not always the "best" option.

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Do a search. Foxwell has been discussed on this forum.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Many of us use Foxwell scanners. The have more capability that most OBD scanners due to the ability to install the Ferrari software. It will not have the capabilities of Leo/SD, etc. in terms of SRS, some ABS ,functions, F1, etc.

5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback and advice; good ideas to buy through Amazon.

I will also do a deeper search on this forum; I did look for it but was just a quick search

6. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I have that scanner with Ferrari software. The 550 version of the software does not work. I've updated many times but still does not connect through my OBD properly. The generic mode of the scanner works fine through the same OBD port, so for a 550 it's no better than almost any generic scanner when connected to the OBD port.

7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    dodici,
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll just then continue with the scanner I have

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The 550 is difficult to get any aftermarket tool to connect to. I have an Autel MaxiSys and Giotto. Both will only connect as "Global OBD2".

Juanpsi likes this.
  9. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I can only say the Foxwell seems to work on my 599.

10. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I reported in a post that this scanner worked for my car when resetting oil change reminders.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Most of the scanners work better on Motronic 7.1.1 and better. The old 5.2s had a lot of serial connectors.

2NA likes this.
  12. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    Reading OBD-II codes is one thing, doing actual profession repair work is another. Ferrari complied, with a bit of arm-twisted (and a small modification to the OBD-II connector) with the minimum Fed standards from 1996 on. So ANY code reader will read the basic fault codes (P0XXX). For any meaningful diagnostic work, or to interpret the P1XXX proprietary codes, there's nothing quite like the factory tools.

13. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    The Foxwell 530 works great on both my 599 and 430. I can see all nodes, do deep diagnostics, perform F1 fluid changes/bleeds and reset settable parameters. The screen is limited, so you have to go through menus. I think I paid about $150 for this scanner with two software packages-one for Ferrari and one for Mercedes. It works fine for both brands. The hairy part is that you must contact Foxwell in China and download some scary looking files onto your laptop, then transfer to the scanner. That took me two days due to time zone differences and communication. It does work.

One note about the OBD port on the 599: The Bluetooth plugs that are commonly sold have a body that is larger than the actual connector. These will not fit into the connector because it is very close to the edge of the car circuit board and a bracket that runs along the edge of the board. (The Foxwell uses a cable that does fit.)

14. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I forgot a couple things: Thanks to George for posting the info on the Foxwell.

I used the Foxwell to diagnose a problem with my drivers door airbag. The Foxwell can be used to show the circuit resistance for all airbag ignition circuits in real time. I could see the drivers door circuit change when I wiggled the booted harness that comes out of the frame and goes to the door. The connector contacts were OK, but there was a break in one of the conductors inside the harness boot. The Foxwell made this diagnosis straightforward and possible for me to perform at home.

15. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for all your advice!

16. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    Hey i'm resurrecting this thread - I used to use the CRP123 with success on scanning basic codes and resetting errors on my 612. But it just stopped working after an updated ECU flash/swap that Ferrari Lake Forest did. I figured i'd get an updated one that would work for the 550 and the Scuderia so I bought the Foxwell NT6X4 Elite Series and so far it won't read the 550. Has anyone here had success with ANY scanner for reading the 550 codes?