Fram filter collapse = 1/2 oil pressure | FerrariChat

Fram filter collapse = 1/2 oil pressure

Discussion in '308/328' started by chrismorse, Apr 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #1 chrismorse, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While doing the major service, getting ready for my first track day, i found i was out of Baldwin oil fiters but still had a fram filter, given to me by the used car place where i bought my car 4 years ago. It was a FRAM PH2804-1, same size, color, sealing ring diameter, stand pipe and heft.

Everything was fine untill the afternoon session, with air temps of 100 in the shade. I was blazing around the track, the water temp was creping up to about 230 and the oil to about 250 and i noticed that the pressure wasn'twhere it usually ran when hot, (75-85), it was down to about 50, so i pulled off the track and let things cool down figuring that the high temps and heavy foot had thinned the oil down. A little later, after cooling to about 160, i went back out but the pressure was still lower than usual. I ran it untill the temps again got hot and called it a day.
    During the drive home i was still down on pressure.

Got home and hooked up a tested mechanical gauge and both gauges agreed, so i pulled the oil bypass to see if it was stuck and it really was hard to get out of the bore. I polished it up and reinstalled it same oil pressure, so i replaced the filter and bingo, back to normal pressures.

Sawed the fram apart and this is what i found - a collapsed element.

Oil was 0-30 Mobile 1

WTF??? I always warmed it up before doing high revs, never noticed abnormally high pressures???

No debris in the filter, (it had only 500-600 miles since major).

Anyone else have similar experinces with "other" filters???

Staying with Baldwin,
    chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

peterp likes this.
  2. oregonferrari

oregonferrari Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Welches Or.
    Full Name:
    Shawn and Cindy
    Thanks for the info.I have a fram on mine now and am doing an oil change tomorrow with a baldwin. Thats incredible

3. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I had heard these stories. Nothing like proof positive!

4. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Curious if you found the oil bypass (pressure relief valve) stuck. You said it was hard to remove and you polished it, I wonder if it was stuck. While the Fram certainly isnt one of the better filters, any filter on the market is only so strong. At full rpm without any relief of pressure, the capability exists to outright explode an oil filter. It would take some massive oil flow to colapse that filter like that. Facinating.

5. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    I think every filter brand we use have had issues at some point (bad batch/cost cutting or whatever) but I've never been a fan of the orange color of those Frams anyway so I don't use them :)

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Bald win filters are outstanding filters, and can be found easier and cheaper than the UFI.

:) i would have left the old filter on ! Fram sucks on exotics !

7. Jim M.

Jim M. Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jim Montana
    Send these pictures to Fram. See what their response is. Most likely they will tell you it was a by pass problem. Let us know JM

8. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Interesting; I have been told my by well respected F wrench the Frams are substandard choices more from a burst tolerance concern than what you experienced.

9. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    A long time ago I used Fram filters until one had a pin hole, at idle it did not leak, but when the pressure was up it pissed a stream of oil. The filter was mounted up and the hole was right in the middle at the bottom, I thought I had an oil consumption problem. This went on for a couple of weeks. I had a friend rev the engine and then I saw the leak. I never used a Fram again.

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Chris,
    Thanks for taking the time to post this. There are a lot of people always saying that Fram is not a good oil filter for the 308 and then others will chime in and disagree....this puts it to rest as far as I'm concerned. Fram should not be used on a Ferrari. The Baldwin is better, looks better, and cheaper to boot!

Birdman

11. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    +1 ..... For the last 6 years, I have only used the Baldwin filter in my 308.

12. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    My recollection is that the pressure and temp were fine on the track in the morning but the first afternoon session, the pressure began dropping with the temp rise. So, the oil temp was up when this problem started. I never saw a pressure spike or abnormally high presures while running. That is not to say that the plunger couldn' have stuck - i was kind of busy trying to keep the car from sliding off the track - for sure, the Thunderhill track is the most fun you can have with your cloths on.

chris

13. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Paul,

There was a slight bit of gauling on the relief plunger, we polished it up with 400, then 600, washed it lubed it and it slid right in. Even with this, i still experienced abnormally low pressure untill i replaced the filter. I was envisioning bearing problems or pump problems - you can imagine how relieved i was when the baldwin "fixed" the problem.

FWIW, the oil pressure sending unit is only about 3 years old and the gauge readings closely matched the mechanical test gauge.

Does anyone know if the Baldwin has a high pressure bypass, or what pressure it is rated for??

chris

14. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    I use the Baldwins as well #B253. Get them at a local truck supply store about $15.00 each.

15. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    I have been running Fram racing filters, HP 1 on all sorts of race cars for 25 years & have never had any issue in any way, including 12 & 24 hour endurance racing as well as all sorts of extreme high temp high pressure applications with all sorts of weight oil.

But That doesnt mean manufacturing tolorances havent changed over the years & a bad batch can surely be had. The burst pressure things you hear about are for the ford filters that mimic the 2804 in size, so people cheaping out have used them or non ferrari shops & they cant handle the initial pressure of cold 50 wt @ 90 psi.

I had problems on a porsche around 10 years ago , having Oil light come on after 30 minutes track time, the purolator racing filter was the hot thing at the time, A puro rep told me it was the filter, they had been bought out & the quality suffrered, I switch to the fram & never had the problem again.

Maybe that is what happened to fram, who knows. Thasnks for sharing, BTW how old was the filter? new? did you purchase recently?

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The Baldwin B253 has a vastly superior (spring-loaded and resettable) internal bypass valve that opens if the pressure drop across the filter element reaches 19 psi (per the drawing Dan Schulte of Baldwin graciously provided me in May 1999):

The Fram has a cheapy one-time sheetmetal "burst" piece that also supports the upper end of the filter element (but it looks like your filter element collapsed before the piece burst -- was it still fully intact?)

I'd use the Baldwin, UFI, or Mann (which I think someone mentioned is made by Baldwin) based on best available price, but not the Fram.

17. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I use Baldwin on the 308 for 6 years with no problems.

On a daily driver I had a fresh purolator blow-out & cost me an engine. The canister seperated from the screw-on base. I sent the filter back to Purolator who blamed the car's oil pump. Serious...the oil filter company really doesn't want to hear about failures...and liability.

18. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fram used to be "okay", years back everyone used them, then they went cheap. Ferrari uses UFI, but they had a problem some years back by bursting through the oil seal, and instead of manning up, they burned people. Baldwins appear to be good, but like anything else, companies get bought out, or they redesign parts to save money or cut corners, and usually no one knows whats inside until they cut one open.

I dont run Frams on hardly anything anymore. Wix and Hastings are good and not that expensive that you have to stoop to buy a Fram at WallyWorld for $1.98. I got a bunch of Baldwins with my cars, I wont run out for a while.

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Forgot to add the pressure specifications that Dan Schulte also provided for the Baldwin B253:

operating design pressure = 300 psi maximum

burst design pressure (case and seal) = 600 psi minimum

20. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I have to say I have also used the Fram HP1 racing filters in a number of different venues with no failures. Late model dirt track racers with nascar engines with 5 stage oil pumps, Ferrari's, Maserati's. The Baldwin is undoubtedly a superior product, but the Fram HP1 cannot be knocked by me.

21. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the great drawings and pressure info. To answer your question, yes, the sheet metal piece that fram puts on top of the element was intact, the element just collapsed and partially crushed the stand pipe.

I wonder what would have happened if i had blipped the throttle with 50 weight oil???

Thanks again,
    chris

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1, great post and heads-up.

I've had UFI's on my 328 since I got it, no problems. Any bad experiences with those?

23. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Only "bad experience" with UFI is price and availability. Baldwins can be found for as little as 12 bucks a piece if you shop around, and they are available from many sources across the US. I don't know of any US source for UFI besides T Rutlands (probably Ricambi now, too?), of course those guys are great and always have one in stock to be delivered within a few days.

But you can pick up a Baldwin filter locally in nearly every major US city. So, that convenience is nice is when you are "only a new filter away" from getting your horse up and out again. :)

24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #24 robertgarven, May 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not lately, but there was a big problem some years back. They did some kind of redesign and guys started having the o-ring seal suddenly blow out and cause massive oil loss. I dont know anyone who actually lost an engine, but between the major mess and cleanup having the whole engine doused in oil, cost of oil, filters, labor etc., there were quite a few unhappy people. And all anyone got from UFI was that they hadnt installed the filters properly. UFI quietly changed the design and took absolutely ZERO responsibility and never paid a red cent AFAIR. So simply for the way they handled thier customers over that deal I would never buy one, id use a Fram first.