Frank's New 3500 GT | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Frank's New 3500 GT

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Portenos, Mar 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #51 Portenos, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well after almost 4 and a half years of searching I have at last found the Cibie 102 headlights that I have been looking for.
    A couple weeks ago my contact in Europe emailed me and said he had found some NOS Cibie lights in the South of France and how many did I want.
    With the Euro at a very weak point in many years I said I'll take 4.
    They arrived a couple days ago via FedX, and they are magnificent!!
    I will install a set on the Mitchell car #708 and a set on my Vignale Spyder.
    I am delighted to be able to find the original lights that were installed on 708 at the time it left the factory. The 4 year wait was worth it.
    I really enjoy tracking down these rare parts. For me it borders on therapeutic for this 70 year old Car Guy.
    On my latest trip to Italy I found a NOS turn signal group for my Vignale and an new fuse box for the same car. I now have 2 new fuse boxes complete with clear plastic covers.
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Frank,
    You can't possibly be 70 years old! You are way too young in all aspects of your life to be that age. I guess being around Maserati carts for so long in so many way has made you eternally youthful.

Elliot

3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Thank you Elliott,
    Having a hobby and passion, I guess helps out a lot.
    I feel and act pretty much the same way as I did when I was 40 with a few exceptions.
    Ciao,
    FGM

4. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    Patience does pay off in the end, Frank! Good news with the 102s, getting mine delivered soon too for the 101.1886 :)
    Very nice paint on your car.

5. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    very cool car and first outing at a show! just love a totally original car showing it's wonderful patina. the car is telling it's story through it's condition. so much better than a fully restored car, imo.

6. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Thank you.
    FGM

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I have decided that owning 3 3500's are 1 to many, and therefore will keep the Grey 3500 Coupe #916 and my Vignale Spyder #1121.
    Interested parties can view all the detail of this very rare 3500GT with complete history from new at:
    Maserati 3500GT For Sale - Car Guy Tour
    I will consider a 2014 Range Rover HSE or an Renault R5 Turbo in part trade.
    Ciao,
    FGM

8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #58 Portenos, Jun 22, 2017
    The Mitchell L. Mitchell car #708 after a very sympathetic fluff and buff.
    With original paint it takes a real professional to clean and wax the car.
    The leather was softened with a special cream with a slight smell of bees wax. I only use a non petroleum product from the saddle industry.
    The leather in 708 is remarkably soft for its age - 57 years old.
    On the way back home I noticed it popping and spitting.
    I pulled a couple plugs and found them to be very black and sooty.
    They had not been changed for over 4 years so it was time. I installed a new set of NGK's and BOOM! it now runs like a new car.
    Ciao,
    FGM

9. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Hi Frank,
    I find it interesting that all the plugs have fouled. I still have the very same plugs in my car, that I got it initially fired up, and dialed in with. As you know, by car sat some 20-30 years, outside, with the carbs & plugs off. I had Pierce rebuild the carbs back in '07, as I was not familiar with them at the time (I was still into FH V8 Fords & Mercs then). I dialed them in on the car with a color tune device, and flow gauge. The car has run strong ever since, with those same exact plugs & wires.
    It is just back on the road after a 3 years snooze while my ZF 5spd was being rebuilt. All that time, I never started it. However, upon re-installing the trans, the car fired right back up, and runs strong.
    Perhaps the testiment to my long life of spark plugs lies with the Pertronix ignition system I installed back in start of all this. I originally got the car running with the stock dual ignition distributor, but the car came with a spare as well. So I was the guenea pig for Pertronix for their system. (actually, it's 2 of their systems). I still carry that spare stock distributor, along with another set of plugs in the trunk though.
    RF.

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I see what you mean. Could it be possible that the Pertronix system produces such a result?
    In any case, I installed the new plugs and will take the car on a 70 mile test run.
    After about 40 miles I will pull off into a rest area and pull some plugs, to have a look at them.

I find this to be the only way to see how the carbs are tuned. I will report the results.
    As a side note, I just love going through the Mercer Island tunnels and listening to that magnificent inline six exhaust note as the tach passes through 3,000 and onto 4500!!
    Ciao,
    FGM

11. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    I had problems with plugs fouling in both my 3500 and the Mistral. Since I change to Bosch Platinum plugs over 10 years ago I have not had any more problems. I use the Bosch Platinum plugs in both the sixes and V8s.

12. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Do you happen to have the Bosh Number for these plugs?
    Ciao,
    FGM

13. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    The one I use in the 6 cylinder engine is WR6DP. The newer number for the same plug is 4225 or #0 242 240 521 052. If you use a pertronics ignition system you can open up the gap to .040. I use the stock ignition and run .028 gap.. Red fred has changed his over to Pertronics

14. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Gene,
    Thank you for the spark plug information.
    I have re adjusted my Webber's and the plugs are now as correct as they should be.
    Ciao,
    FGM

15. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    In the past I had been using NGK BP5ES in the Lucas fuel injected cars and BP6ES on those with Webers. Lately I switched to their Iridium line such as BPR5EIX .... really good plugs.

Ivan

16. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #66 Portenos, Jul 20, 2017
    Took the Mitchell L Mitchell car #708 in for its 15,000 mile service.
    It had only been less that 1500 miles since the last 15K service but 6 years had gone by.
    The following was performed:
    The coolant was flushed
    Oil and filter changed using Valvoline 50w racing oil
    Fuel filter changed
    The brake fluid flushed
    Trans and diff oil checked and toped off
    Valve clearance checked and adjusted
    Carburetors adjusted
    New Cibie 102 left front headlight installed (took me 13 months to find these NOS lights)
    I picked the car up last Monday and put 50 miles on it and the car ran great!
    I parked it in my garage overnight over white paper and to my surprise NO LEAKS!!
    This car is currently for sale. All documents including history photos and videos can be view on this website:
    Maserati 3500GT For Sale - Car Guy Tour

This afternoon I drove it over to my Toy Barn and tucked it away under its car cover after stopping at Whole Foods for a coffee.
    There is a full page ad in this months Sports Car Market.
    Ciao,
    FGM
    PS
    You can follow me on Instagram under the user name of Carguytour. I post my adventures in my Maseratis from time to time. Candini of Modena and other Maserati guys are posting on Instagram as well.
    F

17. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #67 Portenos, Jul 20, 2017
    #708 now back at the toy barn with the other 2.
    Now, which 3500 should I drive?
    Ciao,
    FGM
    PS
    You can follow me on Instagram under the user name of Carguytour. I post my adventures in my Maseratis from time to time. Candini of Modena and other Maserati guys are posting on Instagram as well.
    F

18. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Here is a youtube video discussing the 15K service.
    https://youtu.be/EZMXV8ytQfc
    Ciao,
    FGM
    PS
    F