Freedom of press, a worsening situation | FerrariChat

Freedom of press, a worsening situation

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Skyler, Jan 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Full Story:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123257117439403499.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Perhaps this way they can keep up appearances to the rest of the world when things are actually falling apart.

Anyone else care to comment?

As an aside, I heard Jeremy Clarkson is banned from entering the UAE since he criticized the quality of Driving in Dubai in the UK media.

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    And this is a bad idea .... why?

Because it disagrees with what you are used to? Or because it's not the rules we play by in other countries in the world?

I live in Kuwait, but I'm not Kuwaiti, and it isn't my place to criticize my country of residence's rule of law, cultural and social norms, or, really, any aspect of their way of life. It's their country. I don't always agree with the way they do things, but it is what it is...

As I tell many, many expatriates that come to Kuwait... if you really don't like it.... leave. Now. And, don't come back. The Kuwaitis don't want you here any more than you want to be here. But don't stay if all you can do is biatch, moan, and gripe about your temporary home.

Are you just looking for negative things to post?

Sure seems like it sometimes.

Mike in Kuwait

3. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    #3 Skyler, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
    Mike, I believe that information should be available to the public and they should be allowed to form their own opinions (anywhere in the world).
    I am sure that I am not the only one who thinks this way.

Yes, I am used to living in places where news/info is not censored, so this comes as a bit of a shock to me.

Bottom line is, I like it here regardless of the things I cannot enjoy back "home".
    I agree and disagree with many of the laws here, but abide by all of them.

I don't enjoy posting "negative" news, but I was hoping to see other people's views on the subject (including yours).
    Isn't that the purpose of forums anyway?

You did say one thing that's undeniable. I am living on someone else's land and will one day leave, so I shouldn't complain when it comes to how they rule it.
    However as I mentioned above, I do like it here quite a bit and planned to staying for a long while which is why things like this sadden me a bit.
    No bit&*ing and moaning about it.

I didn't post a thread about "traffic is a **tch, ...housing is too expensive... yadda yadda yadda..." like most of the expats I encounter. ;)

The NY's party thread, that's another story. I didn't get to make a post later on as the thread was closed.

EDIT
    1 more thing to add.
    Did you read the first paragraph of the article? " The government of the United Arab Emirates is tightening its media laws amid a slew of negative headlines about the country's economy and corporate scandals in Dubai."
    So I guess you are saying its okay for people to be kept in the dark about corporate scandals/downturn in the economy, even if they have money invested and stand to lose everything?

4. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Are you kidding me?

1. Every country censors information. USA and UK included.

2. Freedom of information does not seem to be helping investors in the UK or any part of the west. Things are pretty screwed anyway. If anything the media frenzy has most definately helped.

Im with Mike on this 100%. The Middle East is a different sort of place. Some things are great and others are not so great. But one thing for sure is the majority of the people there like the status quo and accept its shortcomings.

5. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    No, that's not what I was saying at all ... I said what I meant to say: as 'guests' in the countries we live in, it is not our place to render judgment on how these governments decide to handle their individual situations. How certain are you that the 'corporate scandals' are, in fact, scandals... yes, mistakes have been made, and all over the world investors have lost significant percentages of their money ... but Modificata is right ... the feeding frenzy of the media has only made many of the situations worse.

For example: when Gulf Bank in Kuwait had a loss of approximately $300m in derivatives, the explosion of news regarding the loss (which in fact was a very, very minor percentage of the total assets of the bank) caused a run on the bank, which forced the government to guarantee all deposits. Confidence in financial institutions and financial mechanisms is a very fragile thing. Everyone's money was safe, but the loss of confidence almost ruined the bank. Editors love bad news...I think bad headlines are like car wrecks.... everyone has to stop and look.

The government in UAE is doing what they think is best for the country and best for their citizens. Be as critical as you want, but bear in mind that if you live in Dubai, you are, at the end of the day, beholding to the Emirati institutions and mechanisms that help to put food on your table, gas in your car, and money in your bank account.

Mike in Kuwait

6. Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis Rookie

Aug 20, 2007
    South Beach
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Pretty much that.

7. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    May I comment or will I be banned for another 24 hours by moderators who dissagree with my post? :D

8. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Feel free to comment.
    Ferrarichat is not a democracy and censorship may apply, but as long as it's not going overboard :)

9. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    LoooL :) I say let it go bro and post some pics of local exotics, nothing makes a day brighter than some sexy curves on a Ferrari or Lambo :)

S

10. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I agree with Salman...MORE PHOTOS!

:D

Mike in Kuwait

11. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    I don't get why being an expat should prevent you from discussing the way of life a country has...
    Maybe you prefer talking about important stuff such as wrestling champs etc. otherwise, sorry, I don't get it.
    In the case of Dubai it's much worse than anywhere else in the middle east because they wanna play the big cool guys.
    Nobody goes to KSA or Kuwait with the idea in mind it's another Miami, yet that's exactly what Dubai sells.

12. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Gougoul,

Being an expat doesn't prevent me from discussing anything... but after having been an expat for more than 18 years, there are certain absolutes that become more and more clear... one of which is "Complaining about ANYTHING in your host country only wastes time and irritates the locals." ...

"Important stuff such as wrestling champs, etc." ???? WTF? Where did that come from?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Nobody goes to KSA or Kuwait with the idea in mind it's another Miami, yet that's exactly what Dubai sells." What do KSA or Kuwait have to do with Dubai selling itself as 'another Miami'?

At any rate... we all have our opinions. They are like .... uhh...buttocks. Everyone has some...

Mike in Kuwait

13. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    You must be joking, anyway :

actually it is true that some expats (especially americans in the middle east) tend to do a lot of massive bashing, simply because they cannot admit that some guys could live some other way and still be happy, which is of course sad.
    However, if you're not like that, and you don't look to be like that :), I don't see anything bad talking about someone's country, even criticizing it...It's still just a discussion.
    That's where the wrestling stuff comes around, I meant if you don't speak about interesting stuff with locals such as how they live, how they could live (and the same the other way around, it's not about teaching/preaching, but about talking), then what are you going to talk about ? Sports ? waaaaw....so cool. Makes sense to travel to a different country/culture to learn their local soccer team (If you're going to ask me where the soccer comes from, this time I'm going to wonder about some of your details :))
    As for Dubai vs. KSA/Kuwait, it's (should have been) simple. Nobody going there expects it to be a "free" country (then again, go burning a US flag as an act of freedom of expression, in front of a police station, LMAO), yet Dubai claims to be sooooooooooo different from those places, and that's they're #1 selling point to attract foreigners. It's one big lie. KSA/Kuwait aren't boasting around with a western-like lifestyle.

14. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Gougol, Yes, good point regarding Dubai attracting foreigners as the "miami" of the east (as you put it).
    There are many beautiful things about this place, but I guess I have been posting "negative" news regarding Dubai in my last 2 threads.

Mike, You also bring up a good point about the Gulf Bank run in Kuwait. I agree that censoring in media is necessary, but not a hard and fast rule such as "Anyone talking negative about Dubai will be fined". Yes, Media all over the world is cencored, but it still gives way for a lot of independant publications which make for nice reading (ex. University papers where one can speak their mind, even about the university itself.)

My intention for this thread was not to "Bad talk" Dubai, but I can see how it comes across that way.

I plan on being here a long time as well... But as I said before, a rule like this is saddening.
    I just wanted to hear what other people thought... didnt expect to get flamed.

My $0.02.

15. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Skyler,

I didn't mean to flame you... sorry if it came out that way...

"Can't we all just get along?"

Mike in Kuwait