News

Freeze Pizza

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Walter Cervantes, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Walter Cervantes

Sep 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Walter Cervantes
    Does anyone know the best way to freeze pizza?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This is what we do. "Best" can't say, but it seems to work for us.

Wait for pizza to cool off, wrap in parchment paper, put pizza in a gallon size Ziploc bag.
    Fridge overnight with the bag "cracked" a little, and then into the freezer the next morning.

Now, the real voodoo is the reheating of said frozen pizza! If I know we're going to have it for lunch, I will take it out of the freezer in the AM, and let it slowly come up to room temp on the counter. If dinner, then come to temp in the fridge. When ready to eat, zap it in the microwave enough to make it hot, not so much to make it soggy. For us and our microwave, ca. 30 s to 1 min. When it is close to desired temp, drop it onto a hot cast iron skillet/comal to crisp up the bottom of the crust. Couple of dashes of hot sauce/crushed red pepper, and you're good to go...T

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Unless it's homemade I wouldn't bother. If it's homemade and you're freezing whole pizzas I would try vacuum sealing.

agup48 and tomc like this.
  5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

May 7, 2014
    Sarasota , Florida
    Full Name:
    Kirk
    Tom , I think I have perfected a way to reheat pizza using my gas grill. I light the grill let it get to 600-650 then throw the pizza on for about 1-1.5 min. It makes the bottom nice and crispy / crunchy. Who’d a thunk ?
    Best , Kirk

arizonaitalian likes this.
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I agree, Kirk, that sounds great. We only have a little gasser, so 600+ F is out of the question for us.

Is the pizza frozen, thawed or either?

T

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2017
    The best way to freeze pizza is to cut off all of their funding. Seize all of their offshore accounts.

9. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2017
    I have a patent pending for a freezer bag developed specifically for leftover pizza, not only resists freezer burn of the toppings, also wicks excess moisture away from the crust. It's made of Alcantara.

wax and anunakki like this.
  10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

May 7, 2014
    Sarasota , Florida
    Full Name:
    Kirk
    Tom , I’m talking day old , strait out of the fridge. Maybe I’m cooking it to hot ? Try it and post your results. Also do not attempt this if you’re wearing shorts with socks and loafers. Loose the socks and give it a go. Best , Kirk. :)

tomc likes this.
  11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OK. Experiment has been done. Made pizza the other night. Had it for lunch today. Used the Cigarzman method. NOTE - pizza was fully defrosted.

I have a little Weber Q gasser, so highest temps I can hit are 525 +/- 25 F.

I heated up the gasser for 10 min, then gave it a wipe and a scrape to get the grates clean. Temp was what I posted above.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Pizza on. Cigarzman approved footwear.
    Full confession, I was wearing low cut socks. Please forgive me.

Crust before.

Crust after. Left on grate 3 min.

Let it cool, covered, 5 min.

OP...You have your answer, courtesy of the F-chat Test Kitchens...T

Cigarzman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

May 7, 2014
    Sarasota , Florida
    Full Name:
    Kirk
    Tom , I’m glad you had great results. Nice choice of coordinated shoes matching the plaid shorts. Well played.

tomc likes this.
  14. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    We have a local pizzeria that makes the best 'thin crust' pizza, albeit pretty thick. Its cut into squares so I pull them apart, let them cool and put them in a one gallon freezer bag. To reheat, hold onto your shorts, I put it on the Pizzaz. Rock solid, full power for 18 minutes or so and I swear its better than fresh. Something magical happens after freezing and reheating on the Pizzaz.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  15. David_S

David_S F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I just GOTTA ask?

Who "re-heats" pizza?

Other than a fresh out of the oven pizza, there are few things as amazingly tasty as cold (or, maybe left to almost room temperature) leftover pizza, served with either "Coca Cola," or the beer of your choice.

Only time I ever add "heat," IF I have leftover pizza (which, almost never happens), is when the crust gets soggy on the bottom. At that point? I heat up a skillet or pan, and just quickly crisp up the bottom.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LOL. I do. I never got into cold pizza, even when I was in college!
    T

17. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    Cold Pizza and Coke is the breakfast of champions! I lived on this in college....

David_S likes this.
  18. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Tom I wanted to "like" your post as the pizza looks good, but with those crock/feet pic, I just couldn't :eek::D

P.S. Thanks for wearing proper shoes and socks on our BBQ Tour ;)

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I respect your decision! I wore the gear as I needed to fully replicate Kirk's methods!

May the 'rona leave us so that we can do another Q run some day! I think my cholesterol level has returned to normal from the last Q run...T

arizonaitalian likes this.
  20. David_S

David_S F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    KNEW I wasn't the only one.

Will say? I like "deep dish/pan" cold. Thin crust? I usually let it sit out a bit to get close to room temp before I scarf it down. NEITHER do I often bother to reheat, as it makes the crust soggy, and hurts the flavors.

surfwolf likes this.
  21. wax

wax Four Time F1 World Champ
    Advising Moderator

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Huh. Would have thought deep dish pizza would be soggy and such when cold.
    T