From 612 HGTS to 599 | FerrariChat

From 612 HGTS to 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by dc348, Mar 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    I had a 2006 612 HGTS a couple of years ago and it sounded absolutely amazing, my 6 year old son keep telling me he wants to hear the engine. Like I said before priceless.

I sold the car when I moved to Portland where I had a C7 and 991. Now I'm back in Hong Kong...

So I got myself a 'standard' 599 and gee it sounds nothing like the 612! It's so quite but it's super fast..

Makuono likes this.
  2. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Remove the secondary cats and put in straight pipes. SImple swap and you will be amazed

Gershwin likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those are the primary cats, not the secondary cats. The ones in the headers are precats whose job it is to keep the emissions down until the primary cats warm up.

DC- If you want the best sound from your 599, emulate the 599 GTO's 6-1 headers with no precats with one of Fabio's exhaust systems.

4. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    we just had one in for secondary cat bypass pipes and BMC filters, the sound difference is significant and it picked up really good power!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    DC dont forget that you can install a valve control device that will keep the baffles open. Mike

Potenza430 likes this.
  6. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    Found a used set of the Fabspeed bypass pipes locally and WOW. What can I say, best mod one can do to a stock 599.

Now it sounds like a V12 should, not dissimilar to my old 612 HGTS.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    How did you find the 599 compares to the 612 HGTS? Have been considering getting into a 599 but the 612 has been such a great car that I am on the fence... A short comparison would be interesting from an owner's perspective.