From the dawn of the U.S. jet age | Page 4 | FerrariChat

From the dawn of the U.S. jet age

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I blew it on a trip from Columbus (OH) to Miami back in 1973. For some reason, Delta had two nonstop flights rather close together, an 880 and a 727. I chose the latter, but I should have taken the 880. Delta withdrew them from use a few months later. But I can't cry over spilt milk....

2. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Adams
    Would love to have flown the 880 or 990. I understand they were terrifically fast cruising aircraft. But at the time I may have sided with you and opted for the 727. As far as crying over spilled milk... Seems that's all I do lately, LOL

Sent from my VS995 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The last good meal I had on a domestic flight was going from Chicago to Ontario, CA on United about 12 or so years ago, a continuation of a trip that started in Atlanta. It was a genuine Omaha steak! The irony is that the ATL-ORD-ONT trip cost me all of $88 thanks to a UAL goof-up in specifying a sale price. (It was supposed to be $188, still a bargain.)

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I found the way of loading cargo in the DC-8 interesting - put the luggage in special containers, lift them vertically through a belly hatch, and attach them to a conveyor belt on the ceiling of the baggage compartment to slide them into place. Did any other airliner use this method?

5. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Adams
    Sounds like a lot of extra weight. Braniff had two types of 727 cargos. One with the roller balls firmly attached in the floor, and another where the roller ball system was able to be taken out. I believe this saved something like 4000 pounds?? It's been so long ago now I'm not sure what the weight saving was. I think that was called the QC model. I know that doesn't pertain to the DC 8 at all but having flown DCH in cargo configuration for fine air out of Miami, we just opted for the roller ball system on the floor. Let me know if you find out something different I would be interested to hear

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Not quite... Elvis' "Lisa Marie" is still in existence. It's apparently the only surviving complete 880

7. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Adams
    I used to be a bar over in Dallas called The Fly Boy. Might still be there I don't know but back in the 70s when I was taking some training with braniff, the bar was a local pilot hang out for braniff and American pilots and stews. The front of the bar had a hole in the wall and a DC-3 cockpit was fully accessible. Love to know what happened with that place

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Good point. There are several complete surviving 990s, as well, although none are airworthy (or remotely close).

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I had some Convair drawings of the 880 and 990 that I have since donated. Some really goofy engineering in spots, like the VEE shaped entry doors that were narrow at the foot and wider at the top. Fast but not profitable.

10. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Adams
  11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Both too small for the market, and very thirsty...

12. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Convair 880. Pretty cool video. Sadly the Captain at 1:47 was killed shortly after in an 880 training accident in Atlanta

13. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Didn't Glenn Turner have several? I thought he wanted to make his own little airline and had them based in Sanford, at the old Naval Air Station.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I remember reading about that some time ago, but it seems nothing came of it. There was a similar scheme to operate Grumman Gulfstream I turboprops as airliners out of the Bartow County (GA) Airport northwest of Atlanta.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    An even earlier Pan Am 707 promotional. Be forewarned that there is about a minute-long gap in the sound in mid-film, and a few shorter dropouts thereafter. But the images are what tells the story. (Oh, that luscious-looking food!)

16. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Thanks!

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I'm in the process of watching PAN AM, the TV series again... too bad it was cancelled... good show.

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    When I first saw this thread, I thought it was going to be about the P-59.

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Adams
    Yeah, those were the days! Now the airlines are not too much more than cattle cars. One bright star on the horizon is Ibis Airlines, out of Florida. They are looking for investors now but their business plan is to have Exquisite food at very low prices using a disruptive business model. Maybe to some degree we will have the elegance and grace of those yesterdays still with us with this carrier when they get off the ground. Either way I'm with you

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There have been several attempts at all-first-class airlines. One attempt that I thought would succeed was MGM Grand Air, which used DC-8 Series 62s outfitted that way; later there was Regent Air which did it, I believe, with 727s. I guess the high prices charged did not make up for the lack of seats on board.

21. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Adams
    Having been with the FAA for a number of years and serving at a CMO as a Supervisor, or Frontline Manager as they are now called, I was on the front line of many of these initial meetings between the FAA certificate team, myself, and a new Airline management team, all meeting for the first time. It got to a point where I could almost tell within the first 15 or 20 minutes whether or not this company was actually going to make it, based on the seriousness and how "together" the management team was. It's extraordinary how much good money and how many good business plans were absolutely flushed down the toilet simply because the management had no idea about what to do.

Initial certification of an airline in particular is extraordinarily difficult and... should I say "hoop laden" with numerous gates to jump through. You need to have a management team of "wartime consiglieres", to paraphrase The Godfather, who understand what is needed to get the airline initially certified and then running for the first couple of years . Too often they have people who either are completely oblivious to the job ahead of them or have actually performed the same job but in an airline which was operating normally for many years when they were plugged into it. They think..." well I've done this job for 5 or 10 years I know what's going on"... but it is a completely different environment when you are a start-up Airline. This is where a lot of companies separate the wheat from the chaff.

If you want to see an eye-opening list, Google the airlines that have gone out of business over the years. It is absolutely jaw dropping and a real walk down Memory Lane, giving you a true appreciation for what it takes to make it in today's Aviation environment and those companies who fell by the wayside attempting to do it.

donv likes this.
  22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    These two books do a very good job of showing many of them:
    https://www.amazon.com/Deregulation-Knockouts-Tom-W-Norwood/dp/0965399303/
    https://www.amazon.com/Deregulation-Knockouts-Round-Two-Norwood/dp/B008OINOWQ/

23. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Adams
    Thanks... I'll be sure to look them up as soon as I finish Bob Parks book sometime this week. Again I appreciate the heads-up on it.

It really goes to show that many airlines also try to get into business using the same business model that companies used back in the 60s and 70s. While those might have worked back then, using that approach in today's ever-changing market could be financial suicide. I am absolutely convinced, and I have to be careful, since I don't want to push this on this site, but Ibis is truly one to look at. Their business model is so out of the box that it's unbelievable. I hold no position with them, so I don't feel I'm pushing an agenda, but when you read on their site how they plan on subsidizing their income it is nothing more than...truly thinking outside of the box. 'Nuff said.