Front Bum Racing 360 Challenge all ready for Targa Tasmania | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Front Bum Racing 360 Challenge all ready for Targa Tasmania

Discussion in 'Australia' started by goober, Apr 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yes.. if only more had the same right competitive attitude.. there'd be less wrecked cars (of whatever make) and maybe some avoidable injuries or worse.. all the best fellas and well done on fronting up to the starting line and look forward hearing about the same clean unbent car at the finishing line too :)

Any pics posted during event appreciated by those of us stuck at a desk if you have the time and energy to be bothered during the week!

2. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

there should be a plethora of laptops and cameras available........given the pooter power of Moretti and Waz

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's for sure.

4. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    #29 b27, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
    This is a great story and even though you give FF a hard time he spoke very highly of you. When I decided not to put a cage in the 308 and fully restore it and keep it as a road car I spoke to him about possibly buying a 360CH race car for track and road rallies sometime in next fews years should funds be there. I had been told by many that Ferraris aren't really good road cars and that they are better suited to the track. I'm sure there is some truth to that based on some of the competition thats out there, but surely there is nothing like being able to drive a Ferrari at what ever speed you feel safe at on a public road.

Anyway he said you can change the suspension to swap between a road and rally set up and that Goober was a good example of it. I gues the proof is in the pudding. You've not only done it but have had some succes as well albeit not expected. I reckon doing a rally in a Ferrari and coming last is better than doing it in a Jap car and coming first, but, then again I'm biased.

5. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    err I dont give FF a hard time.....it goes two ways

he did say though that tarmac rallies are very dangerous, which they are, and if driven like a maniac they can be horribly dangerous. The suspension set up on mine was the same as when it left Maranello motorsport, I could and should change it, but love the harshness on the road. 360ch's were never designed for road use thus doing rallies is somewhat of a novelty cos i would never drive a road 360 around (just dont like the tag associated with new Ferrari's) The thing with 360ch's is the limited vision and now with a HANS i might as well just not bother looking to the sides too much.
    You should look at it for rally use, so long as you remember the golden rule........and its Goobers rule "if ambitions and capabilities get confused do another sport like marbles"
    I have seen over 4 years of tarmac rally that there is an endless supply of morons and would be's if they could be competing

6. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Very good advice Goober.

Just a quick background why I am interested in pursuing the path you have taken and will enjoy this coming week. I was going to put a cage in the 308 and learn how to drive that and then do some historic racing and rallies. When we (ok Phil & Co) stripped it, mechanically it was in very good condition i.e. it wasn't bent. It had a few minor rust spots which you'd expect for a 30 year old car and the damage on the front nose which was only cosmetic. Phil did explain that once you start racing it, it will always be a race car. Having done that in my last HSV (and that was only club track days) I didn't want to do that again. The thing was just near undrivable and not enjoyable on the road for day to day use.

So my intention at some stage is to buy a "Track" car that I can learn to drive and learn my capabilities to maybe participate in some state championship racing and then set it up for the road and have some fun in a few rallies. I want to be in a situation where I can get a car and easily change it from road to track. Now there are many cars that I could purchase to do this, but, I really would like to do it in a Ferrari. My experience with 360C the other week just confirmed it. They are awesome cars. I've been in Japanese cars with hairdryers and V8 supercars etc, but the 360 or something similar is more appealing.

Should I get to the point where I am in a position to buy one, I will try contacting you to dicuss in person. In the meantime have fun and I will still keep an eye on the results not to see where you are positioned, but, just out of interest as Ferrari fan. Take care. ;)

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    There's something for Goober to look forward to.

8. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

a 308 is a good start, then again you are taking a road car and converting to semi race car. A 360CH was purpose built by the factory as a race car, if i had to drive it every day I would be insane, hence the fun and grin factor comes from driving it occasionally. As a purpose built car for the track you will find a 360ch sh!ts all over the road car as in brakes, acceleration, handling and smile factor plus. I cant comment on the 360CS as it is similar but not the same, and the gearing on the CS/ road car is different to the CH which makes us happy cos we still cant get more than 225km/h or there abouts out of the thing in 6th gear at 7000rpm......but it gets to 200 very quickly
    Your capabilities come with miles driven, dont quote me on this but simon and I have possibly put in more road miles on the 360ch than anyone else, thus we know the car, we understand what it can do and cant do...............saying this means i reckon we are pushing close to 6/10ths out of the car, because I can say only on 3 occasions have we hit the rev limiter and treat the thing with kid gloves.
    I can only give you an opinion on tarmac rally use, track work is outa my league.

9. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

i sit in trepidation awaiting the call..........at least i answer my phone

10. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    is the 365GTC/4 yours too? If so, whats it like? More pics?

11. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    its worth 30k

12. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    i am doing a resto on it.....full drive train resto

you have no idea........are you homosexual?

13. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Goobs, keep an eye out for a green Mini Cooper S when you're at Targa. Driven by a good mate of mine, Robbo who posts here occasionally. Good guy and has done Targa countless times now with very good results.

14. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    not surprised.

15. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    nice. One of the cars I'm thinking about when my garage/house reno is done

16. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    what about the Stag?

17. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Goes without saying. ;)

18. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    yeah, I'm having a tough time trying to decide between a front V12 Ferrari or a Stag ;)

19. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    your so gay.

20. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Whatever turns you on man

21. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Get a room you two!

22. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Three's company. Giddy up

23. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

its simple really.........a ferrari V12 or pommy HOS, yeah real hard decision that one

how could anyone trust a man wearing an overcoat in a Bentley out the front of a sex shop

24. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #49 Arvin Grajau, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    just getting gear for a FCA weekend.
    The pleasure club.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login