348 - Front hood stuck closed on one side | FerrariChat

348 Front hood stuck closed on one side

Discussion in '348/355' started by Cowboy-14, Oct 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cowboy-14

Cowboy-14 Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Hello All,
    I have been helping my brother work on his 348 lately. After doing the cam belt service ourselves, we are starting to feel pretty good about ourselves :)

Here is our latest issue. The front hood is stuck closed on passenger side. Driver side latch opens. Pass. side will not budge! The release handle is very tight( he says it was always that way). We know there is an emergency release on Pass side dash, but it will not move at all. The cables seemed a little tight to him, so he wanted to lube them. He must have done something wrong without realizing, so now we have this issue.

Does anybody know of a way to get this thing open? The "emergency" release I think will be a dead end. Can we get in there and pop the latch loose somehow?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Ben

2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    If the pin on the pass side is somewhat misaligned with the socket, it may be catching even though it is unlatched by the cable. Try first, with the opening cable held in pulled position, to press/release repeatedly and also wiggle in all directions the corner of the bonnet. It may pop out.

3. Ga68_

Ga68_ Karting

Jul 16, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Gaetan
  4. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Have you tried to release the pass side first? Also, try lifting the edge up as you activate the pass side 2ndary release. You might be able to goad it up.

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Try pushing down slightly on the hood when pulling on that emergency release worth a shot.

6. Cowboy-14

Cowboy-14 Rookie

Nov 27, 2016
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Hello All,
    We have tried pushing and pulling on the hood, but didn't want to do it too hard. Have not had much luck that way. We try some more though.

You have given me a few more ideas we will try. Will mess with it tomorrow, keep you posted. Thank you.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This is what I'd do ^

But have a person pressing down and holding at each corner, just above where the latches are (but not at the corners, don't want to bend anything). Then have the third person pull (progressively) the release handle.