Front Hood Supports | FerrariChat

Front Hood Supports

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by swan4356, Apr 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swan4356

swan4356 Rookie

Apr 21, 2012
    Front hood supports on my 1990 TR fail to hold the hood open. They are Stabilus Lift-O-Mat.

Please let me know good name brand and place to buy replacements.

Canadian source would be most convenient, but I'll consider any supplier location.

Thank you,

2. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    If you look in the Cross Reference thread, I think you'll find some. I ordered mine frmo NAPA (from info in that section) and merely added a grommet to make them fit perfectly. Not the easiest things to get to! Best wishes.

3. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    #3 chabch, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
    Strong Arm Lift Support F4025 on AdvancedAutoParts.com, $24 each. I found them in the cross reference thread, they fit great, although it's time consuming to change them. Count on 2 or 3 hours of work.

4. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Yep, that's it. I got to mine through front wheel wells, though you could VERY CAREFULLY attempt same from up top. I'd invest in some good quality l-o-n-g needle nose pliers to extract/insert the Cotter pin.

May want to dip tips in rubberized coating first since you are THIS close to scratching your headlight doors the whole time.

5. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Oh yeah, the pins were a nightmare. I lost one, it slipped off my plier and fell somewhere in the nose of the car!

I ended up making one with a heavy duty staple that I bent and reshaped. It worked!

Indeed be VERY carefully with the headlights, make sure the pin does y touch.

6. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Agree with "be carefull". Needle nose slipped on me and hit edge of front hood/bonnet and took a 1/4" chip of paint...arggg, had to repair that then. I also used Napa struts with grommet.

7. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I replace mine last year when I had the front of the car off. Even then it is a real PITA to fit :D

The new "Ferrari" ones are only slightly better than useless. They still only stay up on a day starting with Z. :(

P