Front License plate test? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Front License plate test?

Discussion in '348/355' started by hezgon, Aug 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #26 conscom, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    That's pretty slick!!!!!

Good job!

3. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I thought you only see that happen in movies?

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    MC do that down here--make a photocopy of the tag and shirnk it to fit within smaller tag brackets. Unfortunately, it becomes a fake tag under MD law, you can not photocopy a tag or registration--$290 fine...

5. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I have been trying to contact the tech site for the tow hook mounted one, and no joy. Phone # on the site does not work and no email links come up - what gives?
    MB

6. hezgon

hezgon Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2006
    Ft Pierce, FL
    Full Name:
    Stan
    #31 hezgon, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
    I did get a response using [email protected]. Just called, ordered one. V (925) 866-9500. I'll post pics as soon as the car and holder arrive.

7. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #32 saw1998, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
    That was a good catch, Bronson!! I guess I got brain-lock this A.M. (nothing new). Trying to do too many things at once. Was James Orwell even an author? I can't remember.

8. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    nice set up. I got popped twice within about 3 months in VA and the fine was $85.00. First guy was a real professional, second guy...

9. hezgon

hezgon Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2006
    Ft Pierce, FL
    Full Name:
    Stan
    #34 hezgon, Oct 27, 2008
    Ok, after a bit of time we finally modded the front plate bracket. The threads on the 355 are 16x2, different from the 360/430. Took the aluminum rod to the machine shop, had them shorten it to 7 1/4 inches and rethread. Here is the final results. Can be taken off/on in on time at all.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I wouldn't sweat it. I did get one ticket this year for no front plate ($90) but the same cop was on a tear for no front plates and pulled me over twice in a two week period. The second time, he wrote me up.

Since then, I know at least one public servant talked to him about potentially being a little too aggressive about it and I think he's backed down. Other than the one officer, I haven't had a single problem.

11. Leroyw

Leroyw Rookie

Mar 31, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    Leroy J Williams
    As a cop myself, I have a problem with people not having a front license plate displayed but I use it as the PC for the traffic stop not to give out a ticket. I do not have a front plate on my 355 because there is no place to install it without looking like a joke. I keep the plate under the seat. Most cops here in Kansas City will not stop the Ferrari unless you are in the wrong place.

Leroy

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

If states were thinking more like opportunistic bureaucrats, they would charge an extra $25 or whatever to owners who didn't want to display the front plate and use the money for road improvement. I would gladly pay it.

Well, I appreciate that it doesn't do permanent damage to the car, but IMO it's not a real home run aesthetically. Maybe you use it for inspections and in the event of a fix-it ticket, but I wouldn't drive with it that way full time. My two lira...

13. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Stan, has it impacted the cooling? It looks like it blocks about 1/3 of the airflow to the radiator.

14. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    The radiators are in the rear of the car behind the door scoops, the front grill only has the brake ducts in it, that plate is blocking one of the ducts for the front brakes but this would only really matter on the track where the plate could be removed. :)

15. almost retired

Sep 26, 2008
    Oconomowoc Wis
    Full Name:
    JvB
    Coppers often use the front plate as a basis (PC) for the stop. I get it Leroy..Checked a few I.D's in my 25yrs as well...Finally I have something to add of substance. Many States are considering the camera system on the Interstate and indeed some use camera's for violation's just not speed as far as I am aware. I.E. Illinois and the I-PASS. Well we were told many years ago start enforcing the "no front plate". I asked "whats the big deal"? Never got an answer...until I talked to the state guys who were reluctant at best to discuss.. Seems states may use this as a basis for speeding violations......HMM... Never thought this fair and why this poster wants to be in front of the lights instead of under them, so to speak....

16. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I get the putz award. I knew that :-(

17. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    WRT to the OP question - thread on 360 is not the same as 355 :D

18. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I thought you would have, must be late? :)

19. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    licence plate tacked onto the tow hook is one ugly solution! I would never be seen driving around like that! If it was not legal to strap the lic. plate to the visor, as a lst resort, I would zap strap the plate to the grill in the center and after the drive, cut it off. Personally, I have not had a problem (except for a young zealous cop) driving sanely. When downtown, I lower my visor. IMHO. Only my 2 cents worth.

20. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #45 conscom, Oct 29, 2008
    From an old thread, here's my solution(s). In BC, the regs seem to leave a lot to interpretation by the ticketing officer (see attached excerpt).
    Alternatively, you can also zap strap the plate to the front grille (up to F355's). Otherwise, double sided tape is an alternative for 360's and 430's that can be removed easily - velcro and magnetic tape is more permanent IMHO.