Front license plate | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Front license plate

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Jdubbya, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Raising the awareness to the legislature just might induce law enforcement to focus on our cars more. Thus more tickets. I like the fact that they're not focused on it now.

2. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I agree about the legislature and law enforcement. I work in the legislative process and in Oregon it took years of lobby efforts to get rid of the front plate requirement for Special Vehicles ( 25 years or older). Most of the testimony revolved around law enforcement issues.

However I would suggest going through the legislative process rather than the initiative process. The latter can be very expensive to gather the required signatures. Then you must run an extensive pr campaign. Most folks vote no if they do not understand the importance of the issue. And I am affraid it is only important to us!
    According to other enthusists and F-chatters here law enforcement has not been much of an issue if you are running just one plate.

I would be happy to forward the Oregon statute for any of you Tony's.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So, for us Oregon guys, what is Oregon law on front plates, anyway?

Maybe I'm legal after all!

4. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I should not have used "tony" might have been misinterpreted to mean something other than what I meant which was Washingtonian. Sorry for any confusion.

The Oregon law is: ORS 803.525 and was amended to read: "Only one registration plate shall be issued for a moped,
    motorcycle,trailer, antique vehicle or vehicle of special interest registered by the department."

Also note: 805.030 Violation of registration limits on antique or special interest vehicle; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of violation of registration limits on antique vehicle or vehicle of special interest if a vehicle is permanently registered under ORS 805.010 or 805.020 and the person uses the vehicle:

(a) Other than for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses; or

(b) Primarily for the transportation of persons or property.

(2) The offense described in this section, violation of registration limits on antique vehicle or vehicle of special interest, is a Class D traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §240]

Note: Section 3, chapter 25, Oregon Laws 2001, provides:

Sec. 3. If a person has registered an antique vehicle or a vehicle of special interest prior to the effective date of this 2001 Act [January 1, 2002] and has received two registration plates, the person may display either one plate or both plates, but if the person displays only one plate, that plate must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. [2001 c.25 §3]

The 2001 Oregon bill is at:
    http://pub.das.state.or.us/LEG_BILLS/PDFs_2001/ESB201.pdf

Special Vehicles are: 801.605 "Vehicle of special interest." "Vehicle of special interest" means any American or foreign made motor vehicle that is maintained as a collector’s item and that:

(1) Is a street rod under ORS 801.513; or

(2) Complies with all of the following:

(a) The vehicle must be:

(A) At least 25 years old as dated from any current year; or

(B) Sanctioned as a vehicle of special interest by an established organization that provides for recognition of vehicles of special interest.

(b) If the vehicle is a reconstructed vehicle, the Department of Transportation must determine that the vehicle has been reconstructed with substantially original parts and that the vehicle otherwise complies with this section. [1983 c.338 §112; 1985 c.16 §29; 1997 c.402 §3]

It is my understanding from chat here and talking with law enforcement that this rule of only to club events will not be enforced as it would require too much investigative work to impose.

Hope this is not too much info for this venue!

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So, does this mean that I have to register with the DMV that my 1969 365GT 2+2 as a "vehicle of special interest" or is it just assumed, since it is more than 25 years old?

6. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You need to reregister it as "special interest" other wise you are still required to have the front plate.

http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/6577.pdf

Above is the PDF of the form. Note that you get a Yellow plate with dark blue letters, which will look much better on my black 308 than the colorful tree plates! You are limited to five letters instead of six as the plate has SP down the left side.

Hey what should I get on my special plate, any ideas?

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Good point!!

8. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I agree. You know they've changed when instead of driving by at an f-car event to look at the cars, they instead walk down the line issuing front license plate tickets... That indeed would be a dark day for the world.

9. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Evidently you cannot customize your special plate in Oregon. I would still rather not have to worry about the illegallity of not having a front plate!

So I will run one yellow plate with a random number ( indiscreet is ok ) and forgo my usual special plate message.