Front lift system | FerrariChat

Front lift system

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dipesh.tank, Jan 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dipesh.tank

dipesh.tank Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Currently have a 991 4S PDK and have no issues over speed bumps.

I haven't gone for the front lift system in the 458 so just wondering what peoples opinions are like on what the 458 is like over speed bumps. Does it scrape the bottom of the car? Dealer said it is fine on UK speed bumps but can't always believe what they say

2. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I never scraped the front chin in my F430. I have heard the 458 front end is slightly higher in clearance than the F430 is. I have the lift system in my 458 I currently have. I use the lift whenever I feel I may need it for clearance but to be honest if you are careful and approach the areas at a angle and drive slow you should be fine.

You should consider a skid plate kit as well. This way, in the event you do scrape you are not scraping the car itself, just the protection pieces.

Good luck!

3. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    If you not have issues over speed bums with you 991, the front lift on the 458 would be not neccesary I guess.

I have front lift on my 458 because in my country is a mandatory option..streets here are not made for supercars.

4. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    It should be fine over speed bump. Large ones try and take at an angle. Consider skid plates in case it does scrape.

5. oedipol

oedipol Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    HKG
    you don't need front lift system for the UK if you don't plan to lower your car. the front wheels has very high clearance from the factory for a sports car (actually they are too high for me).

6. 458dreamer

458dreamer Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    I face numerous speed bumps where I live and the 458 glides over them comfortably without lifter. On a couple of occasions I was caught unaware and was forced to fly over the bumps despite braking hard, still no scrape at all. The 458 has good ground clearance.

Gilby_c likes this.
  7. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    It depends on the speed bumps to be honest. I am in London and in most cases the car is ok but I have scraped (gently) quite a few times already in the past 2 months. Driveways seem to be a bigger problem though IMO.
    If you can still add it I would absolutely go for it but if it is too late just be very gentle on bumps and try to take the higher ones a little sideways.

8. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I suspect it depends on circumstances. I own a 997 TurboS which barely scrapes my driveway (even with rubber "bumpers" situated at end of drive way). I do not have a problem driving the 458 down the same driveway, however, I have found the lift valuable when parking , i.e. parking blocks or curbs in front of car that are difficult to measure. If money is not an issue, my answer to most questions is "yes". Best

9. BluNart

BluNart Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    New England, USA
    Full Name:
    Blu
    How much additional weight does the lift kit add? I'm curious for the occasional track day buyer if it's on option not to have.

10. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    Around 10 kg

11. dipesh.tank

Jun 10, 2013
    Don't really want to spend over £2500 on something that i may not even use tbh. I take my time over speed bumps anyway

12. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    At the end of the day, your decision based on your circumstances. Wish you the best and allot of fun. Best

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think if you're worried about speed bumps, it's a non issue.

However, some people have some unusual parking situations and for those, it can be really helpful. If you have to go over some steep curbs or your driveway is very steep, the lift is a good option for you.

For normal street driving --- not needed.

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I do not have a lift on my 458. I do not think it is needed. The bump button helps alot. If I am concerned I enter the road at an angle. That always works.

I do have a lift on my Aventador. It came with the car. I think that car is slow low it needs it. But not in normal driving.

Best

Lee

15. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    It can definitely be an issue in some places like London... Some of the speed bumps are crazy here and I have used mine quite a few times

16. dipesh.tank

Jun 10, 2013
    In london defo need it i think. I'm based in the midlands so not that many speed bumps and my driveway i flat

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I do not have. We have dips and bumps. Never scraped the 458. My understading is the ground clearance is 6.5". No problems with the Boxster S as well.

Friend has a 458 Spider with lift. He uses it in and out of his driveway. I made it in and out no problem but had no passenger just as an abundance of caution. And took it at an angle as well.

I did have problems with my 360 Spider. Ground clearance 4.8". Had to be very careful and take speed bumps/dips at a 45 degree angle.

Best

18. GrahamPM

GrahamPM Karting

Jan 24, 2013
    Cheshire
    My current 2011 car has got the front lift, and I've used it just once to get up a pals driveway - big camber off the road combined with sharp kerb. Apart from that, never scraped the front; so on my new 2014 car (due March'ish!) I've not bothered and saving the money to change the exhaust boxes to the official Ferrari 'sport' boxes instead!!
    Graham

19. dipesh.tank

Jun 10, 2013
    Had the car 2 weeks and had zero issues with speedbumps, brilliant car

20. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I use it pretty regularly for steep, especially driveways. Now don't know if need it every time as do angle the wheels and go slow, but in some respects, to me, it is like plastic film, I don't expect chips, but know I have some protection, just in case.

That said, even if you don't have the lifter, should install the front underneath bumper pads, imo.

21. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I've had my 458 for more than a year and have about 4500 miles. I have the lifter and I need it for some driveways (I live in a hilly area). I've scraped the bottom of the front license plate frame twice when I didn't use the lifter. Now I use it when in doubt.

22. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    The 458's front end has a higher clearance than all of the other exotic cars I've owned. I don't even bother to stop before I go over the bumps, it's very practical!

23. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    Agree with DoctorWill above. No need for lifter in 458.

24. clar

clar Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2013
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clarence
    Like condoms, u just have to need it once and don't have it to regret :p It's the first item i spec when ordering my Speciale, but that's becos humps and basement car parks are pretty nasty over here.

25. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I see that the lift system is offered as a dealer fit accessory post sale in the 2014
    catalogue. Probably cheaper than ordering it on a new car too .