Front Plate Ticket | FerrariChat

Front Plate Ticket

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by donv, Aug 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So I've been driving cars without front plates in Oregon for about 30 years. The only ones who have ever bothered me about it were the City of Portland Parking Patrol, for whom it's an automatic ticket... until yesterday.

I was pulled over by an OSP Trooper... I was being very cautious, both because Waze told me there were police ahead and because this was an area where they often sit and catch speeders... so this was a complete surprise.

He proceeds to tell me that he pulled me over because I had no front plate, looks at my registration and insurance, goes back to his car, comes back, asks about the eclipse, etc. and then tells me to have a nice day and leaves. No ticket, not even a formal "warning." He was perfectly friendly.

I have to think maybe he was looking for something? Or what? It just seemed weird.

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Probable cause I'd imagine. Just checking you and your car out for anything that could lead to an arrest or something.

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I heard that not having a front plate is non-moving violation in oregon, meaning only the meter maids can issue tickets not patrol officers. its about an $80 ticket and i've paid it at least three times. would rather pay it than get a front plate!

I got pulled over for no front plates in Washington where it is a moving violation. the trooper said his computer was down so issued me a "fix-it" ticket. I was supposed to go get a front plate and bring it to a sheriff's office and have them sign off on it. i had two weeks to do it. i never did and nothing ever happened.....

4. mickpucc

mickpucc Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo M
    Get a clip on front plate bracket from Carbonio. No screws, comes on and off in seconds.

Molti nemici molto onore

5. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    +1 on carbonio

I've tried a few different options an that one is my favorite

6. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Was pulled over in 2004 driving a '80 Celica with out a front tag by Portland police. They gave me a warning. I felt compelled to mention all the people who had cut me off, ran stop lights and stop signs, tailgated, etc. just before he had found me violating such high crimes. But thought it best not to push my luck.

7. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    In Washington, any officer can give you a no front plate ticket. Only one city around me seems to give them out from an officer (not sure about public parking in seattle). The one cop that does works in Redmond. The same city they have the Saturday morning meetup of Exotics (100-300 cars). Luckily he doesn't work Saturday's.

johnei likes this.
  8. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    #8 Enzojr, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    How odd, I saw an OSP trooper car the other day who had pulled someone over.
    I might see a state trooper once a year if that, curious if you were on a freeway ?
    With their budget cuts they seem to be few and far between.
    I have talked to a few people who get popped for no front plate.
    The two cars in Oregon that never have a front plate are Corvette and Ferrari.

Also which car were you in the 365 or the 612 ?
    He may have been one of those guys thinking "what the hell is that ?"
    So decided to take a look see ;)
    Spotting an F car in Oregon seems rare to me, so I can understand him thinking I have to check this out.

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I was on Highway 26 near Timber Junction, in the coast range. It's a popular spot for the OSP, as there is a big hill and it goes to 4 lanes, so lots of people speed up.

I was driving my Porsche Cayman. The 612 actually has a very slick front plate mount that I can put on or off in seconds-- but I usually only use it when parking in downtown Portland. Never while driving.

10. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I have not cruised to the coast lately, but I know the spot you are talking about.
    The long downhill section you can really get going, even if you take your foot off the gas.
    Years ago one State Trooper lived about 5 miles east of the Cannon Beach/Seaside Y at the end of Hwy 26. His OSP car would be parked in his driveway at night.

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I know the house, but he's Clatsop County Sheriff, not OSP. I've never seen him pull anyone over, though-- the car is usually just parked there.

I've been driving that route 3-4 times per week this summer, so I know it extremely well!

There are about 4 spots where you see OSP, most of the time. Almost always at one of the four, at least-- sometimes all of them. Manning, Timber Junction, the rest area, David Douglas State Park, those are the main ones. And North Plains PD at the junction with Highway 6.

12. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I thought we paid these guys to fight crime...

13. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    A buddy of mine and I were driving down to Monterey, on the 12th of this month. We were heading out of Sisters Oregon in my 550. We were blessed with open road sunshine and no traffic. Travelling north or 120 MPH we received a signal from the radar detector, very brief.
    I braked heavily but a Ford explorer eventually appeared in my rear view mirror.

The officer approached from the passenger side: Usual license reg, etc. He wondered why I have a Washington State drivers license and Oregon plates. I told him I own property in Oregon, which is true.

He said he clocked us at 81 MPH. So I replied: is it really speeding if the car will go almost 200 MPH and you clocked us at only 81?

He let us go with a warning...

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Good one! I wonder if he actually got a reading, or he was bluffing?

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    ^i wonder the same thing. i was told that i was clocked at 75mph but i came up from the offer from behind on a one land road. i stated, in all seriousness, that i was unaware they can shoot radar backwards. we were on body cam. he let me off with a warning.

16. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Last year driving on Hwy 26 I passed an officer going the other direction.
    My radar detector went off AFTER he passed me, which caught me off guard.
    I was doing the speed limit or close to it by then ;)

17. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    It's the luck of the draw. I'm 56 years old, and if you do the math, how many chances do I have to drive the car the way it was intended? I think the Trooper took a look at us, and that sentiment resonated with him. If the car was stolen or my driving record indicated a revoked license, or an outstanding warrant, then the result would have been different.

Onward with the hope that we can all enjoy these mortal pleasures until we reach (what my friend calls) God's waiting room.

18. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

and collect revenue.

19. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    It's the luck of the draw. I'm 56 years old, and if you do the math, how many chances do I have to drive the car the way it was intended? I think the Trooper took a look at us, and that sentiment resonated with him. If the car was stolen or my driving record indicated a revoked license, or an outstanding warrant, then the result would have been different.

Onward with the hope that we can all enjoy these mortal pleasures until we reach (what my friend calls) God's waiting room.