Front Turn Signal Lenses | FerrariChat

Front Turn Signal Lenses

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by TnMike, Nov 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TnMike

TnMike Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Full Name:
    Michael Payne
    Several previous posts have mentioned about the poor quality & fit of the reproduction front turn signal lenses that are currently being sold. Are no quality, correct reproductions available? Could someone tell me how to tell the difference between an original Ferrari front turn signal lens for a 400i & a reproduction, if it is not on a car? If someone has some, could you post some pics of how the reproduction lens doesn't fit properly? What are the common issues with these lenses that cause them to need replacing & that I should watch for when looking at a used lens to purchase?

Thanks, :)

Michael Payne

2. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Recently I had the misfortune to have an idot back a trailer accross the front of our 400i. In the process he cracked the right hand turn lens. As it was an insurance repair I decided to replace the cracked lens.

I checked around and found that depending on where the car was originally delivered there were some differences in the lens configurations. Some were all white, some were white and amber, some were all amber.

So I decided to contact my local Ferrari dealer to see if there were any lenses avalible in the US. My local dealer did come up with part numbers and US availbility. The down side was the parts mamager told me there were only 1 left and 1 right lens left in the entire Ferrari parts system. The other bad news was that they would only sell them in pairs , left and right lenses. Their price was $1800 for the rightside that I really needed and $1400 for the left lens. Yes guys 18 hundred and 14 hundred dollars each.

I decided to check with Ron Tonkin in Portland. I gave them the part numbers and was told give them a couple of days for avalibility and price. They called back and told me yes they were avalible and the price for the right hand lens was $1400 less my trade discount. There was no mention of having to purchase both left and right side. I ordered the lens and 3 days later it arrived at my door.

When I opened the shipping box I realized why it was $1400. This is a complete lamp assembly. The lens is hot glued directly to the lamp body and in realilty is not replaceable. So I can give you the part numbers for the lamp asssemblies if you want to order factory parts. The new lamp assy matches the old ones exactly and there is no noticable difference in shade of color.

I would suggest shop a couple of different dealers as I did. Not only was the price for the same part much less espensive I really did not have to buy both lamp assemblies as was quoted by my local dealer. By checking around I saved over $2000.00, not bad for a quick phone call and a bit if dilligance on my part, even though it was the insurance companies money.

Howard and Candy Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati spider
    1987 Lotus Esprit turbo
    2 many brass era cars

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Howard can you tell me where you got the info that any 400 had all amber lens. I'm not trying to call you out or anything like that but I've found that isn't actually true. My information is 400's only had clear/amber and 412's had all clear. None were all amber.

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    FYI, with today's exchange rate Eurospares has them for around $820 a side.

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Back to the original question, what's up with the repro lights that are listed on eBay? There have been cars listed for sale and several of you guys have mentioned, " oh that car has the crappy repro lenses". I can't tell the difference. Why exactely are they so bad? The reason I ask is eventually there will be no more originals left. Just like In Howard's situation stuff happens and the lights can and will be broken. So what is the answer? Should I buy a set of these original lights now in case I will need them in the future? Or I could buy a set of the eBay lights and put them in my car and save the originals? Just asking for opinions!

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My guess is if you saw them in person you'd notice it. The fluting and texture on the lens is wrong.

There are lots of parts that aren't available any longer which is why the price on used parts keeps climbing. Wait until you see what a good condition used backglass is going for.

You, of course, are right and eventually the pool of NOS parts will go away. Then we'll only have used and reproduction parts.

The answer all depends on how long you're going to keep your car, if you want an original car, how much money you have to invest in spares, if you mind having aftermarket parts on your car, and how putting aftermarket parts on the car affects the pool of potential future buyers.

My motto? You can restore them a thousand times; they are only original once.

7. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Hi Dave,

To answer your question "no" I did not see or have I seen all amber lenses. I was told by the dealer , there were 3 options as I stated. I assume they must be listed that way in the parts book. Other than that information, I defer to your expertise.

I wonder if Eurospares lamp assemblies are nos? or Chinese aftermarket cheapo replacements?????

If needed I have my right side lamp assembly that has a minor crack in the lens, that I would offer to anyone in need.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati Spider
    1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo
    2 many brass era cars

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My factory parts book has only one listed for whatever that is worth.

<laughing> Man have I got you bs'd :D

I asked them that recently and was told they are original NOS parts.

9. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    To confirm dave's post.

The 412 was the only model ex factory with clear indicator lenses.
    But i've seen a few 400's with clear lenses as well, my guess is these were fitted because either:

a: the owner preferred the look of clear lenses ( or was trying to make a 400 look like a 412)
    b: when trying to obtain replacements for damaged units, clear was all that was available in the Ferrari parts system.

M

10. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    This is a topical thread. I'm just finishing tidying up a secondhand pair I bought from Douglas Valley Breakers, in the UK. The guys described them as 'Tatty' but at 75 GBP a side, plus tax, it seened worth a try. They were in fact slightly better than in the pics they sent me. The right hand one had a hairline crack on the amber bit , and the paint inside was peeling all over the base, but with good reflectors. The left one was better all round but the amber was slightly faded. I managed to open the right one and strip/ repaint the white base. I darkened the amber slightly on the left one by applying clear paint to the top and bottom ( hidden ) bits, making the colour propagate through the lens.
    Not perfect, but better than the very faded and slightly cracked ones on mine!
    At the sort of prices we're being charged, I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a small run of repro ones made. Surely with modern methods of 3D scanning one could produce accurate copies. The legality of the process is the one thing that concerns me.
    At what time do these things' copyrights expire ? An interesting philosophical question...

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #11 judge4re, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the original press photo for the 365.

Eurospares website shows that orange and white is the part through the 400i, but I recall seeing more p/ns listed in either the original PF parts manual or the small manual in the car. I don't have access to either of them right now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Just to add to this learned discussion: I worked in a Peugeot factory in France in the early eighties, and cars bound for export had lots of minor differences, some had indicator repeaters ( little round orange ones on the side , just like the ones on the 400 side bumper ), some didn't; some had clear indicator lights , specifically for markets that dictated that the lens had to be clear but the bulb had to be amber, others had just plain amber ones... Europe at the time had very different traffic laws, and what was legal in one country wasn't necessarily so in the next, so not many cars leaving the line were similar. And these were humble Peugeots, not bespoke Ferraris! In those days 'special' cars were also produced, for evaluation, and these were sold on to the staff. It could be that the paint ,or the interior were non-standard. If such cars survive intact they will surely incur the wrath of quite a few concours judges, and yet they're the real article.
    All I'm trying to say is that probably everyone is right, there's probably some 400 that left Maranello with clear indicator lenses!

13. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I may have been wrong regarding the 365's and clear lenses...

I did some research too, found the same brochure, also a comment in Keith Bluemel's book "Original Ferrari V12' which states that 365's bound for some markets had clear lenses.
    For the 365 there are 3 lens # numbers listed as spares, 2 of them are described as orange/ clear, the third has no description.... could be the clear one.

M

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There has never been any doubt about there being an all clear lens and an amber/clear lens. What I've always questioned is the claim there was an all amber lens. I doubt the validity of that claim.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There have been real nice repros done for the 328 front lens.....

Imported as "glass sculptures" as they didn't have DOT/MOT certification...

16. TnMike

TnMike Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Full Name:
    Michael Payne
    Hello guys,

As always, thanks to everyone for all the helpful information.

Mr. Musolf (tr0768), I am very much interested in your offer of your old right side front turn signal assembly if it is only a minor crack & would still function fine. This would definitely help me out. If you still have it available, please reply or send me a pm and we can work out the details.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Michael Payne

17. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Advertised as concours approved, can you believe it??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-365-400i-400-412-lenses-/120508035413?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c0ed6b155

18. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #18 Highmiler, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Attached are photos of my new 400i lenses. The first photo is of an old and a new lens.
    I got them from Squadra Nuvolari out of Carlsbad, CA. Here is their web site: <www.squdranuvolari.com>. The lenses were $700.00 for the pair and $300.00 to refurbish the housings and glue in the new lenses. I got the last pair but am informed that more are to be produced for 2012 sales.
    Turn around time ws about 2 weeks including the transit time.
    These folks have been around for a long time (30 years I think), are responsinve and reliable. I'm happy with the whole process and the results on the car.
    Greg