Fuel accumulator change out | FerrariChat

Fuel accumulator change out

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, Jan 5, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I've been driving my BBi very often this summer but over the last few month I've noticed an increasing smell of fresh petrol and some strange oil'ish stains on the floor in my garage. The stains were under mi BBi but they looked more like they were the consequence of a small oil leak. I checked my 308QV first and actually found and repaired a cracked banjo fitting in the fuel injection system. With the 308 fixed, I thought everything was ok but the smell continued and so did the strange dripping below the BBi. With the BBi on the lift it only took me a few seconds to nail down the culprit; the passenger side fuel accumulator leaked quite heavily and dripped down onto the Tectyl protected chassis frame. I found a new "cost effective" Bosch accumulator on fleabay and changing it out only took me about one hour. The job was performed without pulling the fuel pump base frame. After removing the supply and return line, the accumulator could be loosened and pulled free with little effort. It's difficult to avoid a little fuel escaping from the accumulator when removing it so it's important to ensure good ventilation and no ignition sources close by. I used my homemade special hose clamp tong to isolate the fuel supply from the tank(s). It's a relatively simple DIY job if you are comfortable working on fuel systems. Emptying the fuel tanks before working on the swab is recommendable. Also it might be smart to change out the other accumulator when your at it.

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    nice special made tool
    but when the hose is not ok then you will damage it and soon after it will leak there. with a new hose I not see a problem

the accumulator with this bosch number in germany just now is only 221,75 € ( https://www.autodoc.de/bosch/1155524 )

pshoejberg likes this.
  3. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Was your accumulator leaking at the flange in the center of the part where the two halves are crimped together?

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    No. The membrane was leaking allowing fuel to pass it and exit via the tell tail outlet (The small open enden pipe).

Best, Peter