fuel filter removal tips? | FerrariChat

fuel filter removal tips?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ketel, May 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Gents -

My 355 has been having hesitation problems under power and from a standing start, so I'm going through the fuel delivery/ignition systems to address. First step was to replace the fuel filter which is at least 3 years old I reckon, but after a lot of grunting and cursing I can't crack the nuts to remove the old unit. And, yes, I soaked the nuts in penetrating oil for a good 30 mins. Still no luck.

YouTube has some decent tutorials but in all they admit that they cracked the filter loose off camera so I don't know what they actually did to loosen the nuts. The nuts seem seized on and I am reluctant to apply too much pressure for fear I'll damage the old unit and then will have a whole host of new problems.

Any good tips? thx
    ketel

2. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    good high quality wrenches and when it does break loose make sure the wrench doesnt scratch or hurt anything. I dont recall mine being anything crazy.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Don't the filters have a hex fitting at each end? Are you using two open ended spanners with (gripped) ends positioned close together so that you can squeeze them together with one or both hands? (preferably gloved).

I don't know if this applies to the F355, but one thing to watch for is pressure in the lines. I've seen a supposedly competent technician spray fuel all over the engine bay of one of my previous cars when the lines were not depressurised. I recall you can do it on some cars by removing the fuel pump relay/s (or fuse/s) and cranking the engine for a few seconds.

Whatever you do, have a bucket or a smaller container and lots of rags at the ready.

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its not mentioned but on all my fuel fittings I use aviation thread sealant for fuel lines. A thin film is all its pretty thick and it adds an extra measure no one wants a Ferrari BBQ. I think it is Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket® No. 3 but its easy to look up if your inclined.

To add to Ian, open the fuel filler cap and depressurize the system and I just unplug the battery all together. One wrench on the fitting and one one the hose fitting. Squeezing together is to tighten. pull apart to remove its a knuckle buster so wear mechanics gloves. You get to it FAR easier from the wheel well with the fender liner removed. Don't over tighten or you can crack the fittings, those lines are expensive unless you go make your own but then you have to track adn replace lines in hard to get spots wit the engine in. Hence the Permatex. :)

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Ketel you live near Mitchel just pay him to do it
    I wish I lived closer right now

6. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Use flare spanners, takes a lot of effort out of undoing the fittings.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just did the fuel lines at the pump end and also the fuel injectors. Kevin is correct, always use flare wrenches for any EFI or brake fitting as the fittings can be rounded by box wrenches and the lines are expensive and a pain to replace. The your stuck using vice grips and it all spirals from there.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Tried again to remove the filter but no luck. Seems really seized on.

Also, not sure if I am grabbing onto the right fittings. See photo. I am using an adjustable wrench to hold the filter (point C) while using a 17mm spanner on the fitting (point A). Is this correct, or should be loosening it at point B?

ketel
    View attachment 35067

Attached Files:

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  10. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    You'll never undo it like that, see Eric's post above, that is what you have to do, use flare wench/spanners where possible.

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Those can be corroded on tight and you cannot use heat. I would soak in some pb blaster hold at c then slide a impact socket over B and see if i could pound it off ccw. The banjo bolt is sandwiched and screwed into c to form a seal. Dumb design but there it is.

12. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Trying all this but still nothing budging. I have been to the auto parts store 2x this week to buy different wrenches to tackle this but nothing is working. Just tried with spanners and pretty much blew out my elbow. Day working on the Ferrari officially over. Who else wants a beer?

ketel

This is clearly a job for power tools now.

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I assume your working on it from the wheel well with fender liners removed?

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    See fbb post above

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Or take the line off the other side and remove enmasse. Once on table you can beat the **** out of it. It will come off guaranteed

vvassallo likes this.