Fuel line sizes | FerrariChat

Fuel line sizes

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by N17RO, May 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Gents,

Does anyone know what the inside diameter is for the rubber fuel lines from the breather and return lines?
    I've not got an intermittent smell coming from the back of the drivers seat so I suspect I need to change the old lines.

I tried the search but couldn't find the sizes anywhere. If anyone has a link I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    there has been a thread already about those sizes. please have a look at the search function.
    but be carefull removing the lines from the fuel tanks, cut them before take off, otherwise may be the aluminum connection will get destroyed

peteficarra likes this.
  3. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Hi Joe. I can't find the tread. I've found all the ones in relation to cutting them off so not to damage the tanks.

If anyone has the link I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
  5. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm sure 8mm ID will work fine but for future reference, PN 116769 (L.H. Pipe) is 7.5mm ID X 14.5mm OD X 420mm length. PN 114882 (R.H. Pipe) is same ID/OD but slightly longer at 450mm.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Use good 8mm or 5/16" fuel hose to replace the fuel return hoses. The 7.5mm size hose is not correct for this application.

N17RO and turbo-joe like this.
  8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- Hassling to get R14 spec hose here is worth it and reasonable to do...

9. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have a hose database that was populated with OEM specs.

10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The fuel return hoses are not under high pressure. Thet just return the fuel coming back from the pressure regulators to the top of the fuel tanks. It doesn't have to be high pressure rated, but using hose made with good material will extend the life of the hose and reduce the possibility of leakage in the future.

The original hose was just a single layer of rubber covered with a cloth braid. Over time it gets hard, cracks and leaks. After you cut off the original hoses, peel them open and I bet that you will find cracks all over the inside of the hoses. I have had them so hard that I could break them by folding them in two.

Steve Magnusson and turbo-joe like this.
  11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    those cracks mostly will occure because of longer time not driving the car. those return lines will get empty during standing around, then the rubber gets hard and when there comes again fuel the rubber is like a sponge and picked up fuel . when this will happen often then the rubber gets cracks. because of there is no pressure on the lines it also happen, that soon after long standing you will have a fuel smell but when the return lines are full with fuel again inside a while the rubber gets thicker and no leak anymore. would there be pressure on then you would see how bad it is

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    high pressure gates 27348 is overkill - cheap insurance.

these hoses are ‘out-of-sight’ - no need to ‘look’ OEM.

the OEM hoses are junk, but should be considered for locations in clear sight. in these locations, they are easily changed if they become suspect.