348 - Fuel pump earths/grounds | FerrariChat

348 Fuel pump earths/grounds

Discussion in '348/355' started by Pangea, Feb 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Anyone point me in the direction of the fuel pump earths / grounds location . It appears to be common to both on the drawing. They don't look to be associated with anything else. The wiring looks like it goes up behind the fuel tank from the pumps but I need the earthing point. My thinking is it maybe behind the dash but I could be way out....No indication here...Thanks.

Number 151. They come directly from the pumps.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It seems odd that the earth will be far from the pumps, especially if it is not shared with any other systems. Having said that, the F355 pump/s use an earth which is shared by numerous systems, some of which are nowhere near the pumps.

Are you having problems with the pumps?

3. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    are you able to do a resistance check from the wiring to the metal framework of the car to see if the grounding point isnt optimal?

4. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    are you able to do a resistance check from the wiring to the metal framework of the car to see if the grounding point isnt optimal?

Not sure whats going on yet guys. Hope to get some testing done over the weekend. 5-8 F P Relay appears to get hot and bank cuts out after approx. 20 mins.. Replace with cold relay and its ok again for 20 mins. Feels hotter than 1-4 bank relay. I have a Snap On thermal tester here now so can have a measure of the temps with that tomorrow. Car runs perfectly from start up. Cat ecus are disconnected at the moment but its similar.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are you getting a significantly different resistance reading from the earth pin on the Left pump harness to, say, the engine earth (than you are with the Right pump)? As Josh implies, wherever the earth is, it's probably a good bet that it's using the chassis as a return path.

It's normal for pump relays to be fairly warm, but letting them get too warm can lead to melted relay panels. I think the chances are that it's a pump about to expire.

Not sure I follow you. Unless I'm looking at the wrong diagram, the pump relays feed the pumps and the O2 probe heaters. On the 2.5, they feed the aux air valves, too.

6. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick

Ive done no testing yet so I don't know any numbers. Its midnight here.....I meant the fault feels like a cat ECU failure when driving. I didn't mean its related. Total loss of four cyls. Not firing at all. No jerking around. When everything cools right down again its fine for 20-30 mins. All this is happening at idle on my driveway. I don't need to load it up.

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    You can do a simple check of the fuel pumps - unplug both relays and plug in two lengths of wire with spade terminals at one of their ends into the relay sockets 30 and 87 (see pic). Then, connect an ammeter (set at at least 10A range, better 20A) to the wires and read the current draw. You don't need to have the ignition on for this test. If the "hot relay" pump draws considerably higher Amps than the other pump, then it is faulty and you need to replace it. If its current draw is similar or not much higher than the other pump, you can tie the two wires together just before starting the engine (put back the other "cool" relay) and see if the bank runs fine then.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Miro, would the pump pull any more amps at higher engine rpms? I can't imagine that the fuel pumps would have to work any harder (if the fuel injectors are open longer). There would be less back pressure on the pump.

9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I don't think the electric current through the pump motor varies much between idle and high rpm as the pump runs, more or less, at constant pressure. These pumps are a positive displacement type so their motor current draw is largely proportional to the pumping pressure. There could be slightly higher current draw during acceleration (low intake vacuum) when the pressure regulator increases somewhat the fuel pressure.

10. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    So Ive somehow sorted the problem. Checked the fuel pumps and they are pulling 6.5 to 6.8 Amps each so equal. Im ok with that . I cleaned the relay and fuse ports and everything in the rear of the fuse box plus the fuel pump wiring under the car. Now it will idle indefinitely without a hiccup. The relays are the plastic case type and fairly new..
    Fuel pump relays are running at around 48 to 50C. Initially 5-8 was up around 65-70C and the fuse for 5-8 was showing hot.
    Injector relays are slightly cooler at around 45C.
    Other visible relays are around the 45 to 50C range.

Fuse for 5-8 now running about the same as 1-4.
    So that side of things is fairly equal now.

The first Image is of the fuse board now with cooling fans running.
    I have one hot spot showing in the fuse board and that is the left hand cooling fan fuse. The LH fan relay is on the left of fuse but is not showing to be excessively hot .

The next fuse heat signature you can see to to the right is the right hand rad fan.....Big difference. I need to investigate that next. Fuse is at 82C.

Top two heat signatures are the 1-4 bank injectors and pump relays. Separated on board. Pump to the right. Slightly hotter.
    The 5-8 relays are the last visible on the bottom row right. Together on board. Pump to the far right.
    Above the bottom right pump relay are both fuses. 1-4 and 5-8. Look fairly normal now.

You can see the hot fan fuse clearly. Ignore the temp on the scanner here.

The bottom pic is the cooling fan fuse temp..

Hope some of this makes sense. I can't really define this fault but something was obviously going on.

The Snap On imager is an excellent and useful tool albeit quite expensive. I only realised later you could store the images.

This is a RHD car so the fuse box is the other way up from LHD.

Qavion and f355spider like this.
  11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The problem you had is not uncommon. When the contacts between the spades and the sockets of the relays and fuses corrode somewhat, they develop resistance and start heating up. The heat causes some burning of the contacts and the things get worse - more resistance and more heat. You just need to clean the spades of the relays and the fuses and pull them out and push back in a few times every, say, 6 months. If you still have somewhat excessive heat on one of them, you will probably need to open-up the relay panel and inspect/clean the female sockets for the offending relay or fuse.

I recently had a failure of one of the radiator fans on my 348; found out that the relay socket had melted and the relay spade 87 and its female connector in the panel badly burnt. I had to replace the relay panel with another good (used) one. I am planning to repair the damaged panel, probably by inserting sockets for relays which have larger spades for the pins 30 and 87 for the two radiator fan relays, and keep it as spare.

12. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Yes. I agree with all what you say. Probably a good idea to remove the fuse board for a proper inspection and clean up. Better safe than sorry. I will check the fan draw and wiring as there is potential for trouble there too. Cheers.

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Pangea likes this.
  14. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    I’m not sure what you are trying to do but here’s a rough understanding of the system.

Cars electrical is an independent and isolated system. Hence, the work earth, ground and the three dash symbol in the drawing are misused. This is a completely different subject altogether for a another power system. A car chassis and all conductive parts share a common which is the negative side of the power system, the negative side of the battery. That’s not to say every conductive part(metal) in a 355 is a potential negative ties to the negative side of the battery post. The three dash line symbol in the drawing indicates the common, the negative side of the electrical system. It can be anywhere, likely everywhere; the engine block, the frame that holds the engine. In the engine bay somewhere a large negative wire from the battery bonds to the metal frame. That’s the common. Alternately, find the alternator and trace the negative wire to a point. That’s where the common is.

In 5 years of ownership, I’ve never bisect or take it apart so I don’t know where everything is so I can not give a location. If possibly please elaborate on what it is you are trying to do.

P.S. I don’t look at manufacturers diagrams as they not standard electrical logic. It is useless in my opinion.

15. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    As mentioned above, I have resolved the problem. I wanted to check the earths were ok but further testing and cleaning of the fuel pump wiring, fuse box contacts and associated connectors appears to have cleared up the issue.. Thanks.

Qavion likes this.
  16. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Good to hear. I usually don’t read the whole thread only a few posts at the beginning.

Pangea likes this.