Fuel Smell on 575M 135171 is Cracked Left Fuel Pump Cover | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fuel Smell on 575M 135171 is Cracked Left Fuel Pump Cover

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tazandjan, Nov 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    So...introduction to 575 ownerahip - I have the Same problem :) oh well...

2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Just received a quote for my disintegrated fuel pump - $1231. Not bad at all! Best of all, it falls under the 90-day warranty

brogenville likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mine was just over $1000, so about right. Lots of labor from draining the tank, etc.

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    So you're going to roll the dice on the other one, I guess? Is there something that makes the left side more prone to cracking? I'm leaning toward taking care of both (seems sensible to me), but the mech didn't recommend it, so I don't know.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, just did the one. The pumps are identical and can actually be used on both sides adding or removing the fuel gauge piece, so no technical reason why one should fail more quickly. Will probably have the right one on the shelf, just in case. 612 has the same problem up until they changed the pump plastic.

6. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    All.....Please jump in. Just took the 2004 575 m out for cars and coffee and a nice drive, Smelled a little fuel this morning but not yesterday. Went to vent scoop behind drivers side door and smelled fuel. No smell in engine compartment at all and odor is very faint. I assume we have some leak by fuel pump etc. Car is running awesome but this just occured this am. Love some troubleshooting advice. I have dealt with this on my 360 and have done both pumps on it. I am newer owner of car and it was maintained very well by saint of a last owner.

Love to learn more on it.....

Thanks...

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Open the trunk and see if the gas smell is strong. Pumps are under the carpet in the trunk. Make sure and change both pumps if one is leaking instead of being a dummy like me and only changing one pump.

8. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Thanks….no gas smell in engine bay….some smell in trunk….huge smell of fuel on intake behind drivers door….It’s 115 degrees here so you really smell any leak….Just started as I started car yesterday….Car ran like a rocket today so mechanical issue….Seems like fuel pumps, or rollover valves and maybe a hose leak….Looks like these may be original fuel pumps as previous owner of10 years said he never had to do them (Good guy by the way)…..Just did both on my 360 as pathology was similar….575 looks like a bit harder install…..Am I on right track?

9. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Another possibility.
    How full is your fuel tank?
    It’s certainly not impossible to be a fuel pump. However if the fuel smells comes with 3/4’s a tank of fuel or more the fumes may be coming from the rollover valves on top of the tank. There’s are 3 valves. The o’rings give out with age.
    The more fuel in the tank the stronger the fumes.
    Bill
    FL

10. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Interesting….Tank is actually at 2 bars from empty…usually keep tank at 4 bars….so maybe pointing away from rollover valves…Car was a Florida car till 2022…

11. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I will go check trunk again…

12. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Trunk now smells more than intake….car has been off for 3 hours…..Pointing to back of tank it seems…

13. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Carl it’s not real difficult to pull down the carpet in the trunk and then remove the barrier wall. At that point you can see the tops of the fuel pumps. If you are not comfortable with this search professional expertise. Fuel vapors are an uncomfortable situation.
    Best of luck,
    Bill
    FL

14. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Thanks Bill….Will do…My mechanic is good friend and we chatted….Leak is probably there only slightly at idle….hence no odor Friday night….Driving and incresed fuel pressure yielded the odor…..Will write follow up as I progress for others….Good stuff and thanks…

15. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    It may be the rollover valves…top left part in green.
    I had the same issue, does it smell more when the tank is full ?

See if the smell goes away -mostly- when the tank is 3/4 empty.

Attached Files:

16. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Great picture…..tank is rarely past 5 bars and fuel odor occurred at between 3 to 2 bars.

17. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    All: I will post some pictures of 575m fuel pump repair and replace. We did both pumps as they were leaking. Absolutely do both at same time as it is a no fun job. As a safety precaution make sure you do this with the tank as low as possible, In a well ventilated area, take breaks to avoid being overwhelmed by fumes and have a fire extinguisher handy for obvious reasons. Better to do when cooler as helps with fumes. Will send on pictures later. C

Qavion likes this.
  18. Azclassics

Azclassics Rookie

Jan 9, 2022
    Full Name:
    Jon-Paul Christoper Morley
    I am just starting to research this issue because of a fuel smell on my 2003 575. I am assuming I am not going to get lucky and have it be anything other than a cracked fuel pump cover. And as everyone has recommended if one has failed the other is not far behind. I have seen a few people say that the fuel pumps are the same side to side but see two different part number from Ferrari 239819 and 239818. I have also seen Bosch Part# 0580313095 posted and it seems to be the same pump for Ferrari 599 612 and maybe even 360? Input appreciated so I can source parts.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One has the tank float/gauge.

The Bosch number is likely just for the actual metal pump in the system, which rarely causes problems.