Fuel tank IMPLODE issue: which valve is stuck bad? | FerrariChat

Fuel tank IMPLODE issue: which valve is stuck bad?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Jun 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#1 24000rpm, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    I searched the topic and there's only one that mentioned this.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/fuel-gauge-reading.473726/#post-143651531

after
    1. test driving this car for hundreds of miles chasing for reason why the BRAND NEW gas cap is sucking in air through the 6 holes on it and causing Terrible noise.
    2. thinking why the body has no evidence of any collision damage and the gas tanks are bent or otherwise having a damaged shape
    3. having a p0440 code.
    4. fuel indicator isn't showing what it should be showing.

I finally realized that it is something that was stuck in the fuel loop that caused the vacuum inside the tank so big that the tank imploded!

now, could somebody point me which valve is faulty to caused this?
    is it one of the following?
    1. on/off valve around the charcoal canister
    2. two small valves that allow vapor going back to air intake
    3. big "multifunctional valve" (as called by ferrari) collecting fuel vapor
    4. roll-over valves?

or is it something else completely?

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    check patency of the line to the charcoal canister then check if the valves are stuck open as a start, the valves from the vacuum lines from the front part of the engine air intake.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    So your gas tank actually collapsed? I have a hard time believing that even near full vacuum would collapse the tank since it is metal. AND, the car wouldn't run with that much vacuum. SO, what imploded? Or did you mean something else?

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

yes, It literally collapse. I'll take a few pics later.

I don't believe it either, at first! At first I thought somebody must be replacing good tanks with bad ones and sold it, but after I noticed all factory plastic zip ties are intact, I am puzzled. ( you need to remove engine to get those 2 tanks replaced, to remove engine, you need to clip those factory zip ties).. So yea, conclusion is, there's no accident happened to the car and the fuel tanks are original to the car!

secondly, I had this HUGE noise coming from the gas door and i thought it was something inside of the quarter panel. Wrong after I put my finger to the gas cap and found the HUGE VACUUM that sucks my finger to the cap through the 6 holes in the cap and the noise stops. ( it is a brand new cap from my other Modena)

The car runs fine! I only realized this after all these symptoms put together ( intermittent, not always but "once on it is always on" huge noise from gas cap, collapsed tank, p0440, fuel indicator on dash erratic, )

My English maybe bad, but by implode I mean collapse.

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

check which valves are stuck open as a start? They are supposed to be stuck open or supposed to be closed?

by "front part of the engine air intake", you mean next/behind to the firewall bulkhead?

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Correct, the lines in front of the firewall that go to the passenger side of the engine to the two solenoid valves there. What my hypothesis is.. is that the valves there OPEN in the cold start portion of warmup, so the carbon canister can pull out excess hydrocarbons. While normally the valves close after warmup lets say, they instead remain open and maintain the suction on the vapor recovery system that connects to the top part of the fuel tank. FWIW I expect the roll over valves to be open and patent regardless. If they were "stuck shut" I'd expect the vacuum wouldn't be able to suck the tanks to implosion. I need to also look at which relay (if any)controls the solenoid valves for the evaporative emissions. If that relay isn't working that might also explain the excessive suction in the system. Again.. I might be wrong but this is my understanding of the system..

7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Holy wow! I didn't even know this was possible.

E60 M5 likes this.
  8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Read your explanation 3 times, finally get it with the help of the evap diagram.

That was just a brilliant idea. Let me get a rest and replace these 2 small valves with my other Modena's.

9. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    That’s just incredible! And incredible as well that the car runs fine.
    I’ve never ever seen it nor heard of it before.

Hope you’ll find the cause and can fix it.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    WOW! Impressive. I surely would not have taken a bet on that. Sorry about the problem and good luck resolving. There aren't that many parts so you should be able to sort it out.

11. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The fuel pump is also sucking on the tank so if the vent system is plugged the tank goes negative in a hurry

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

1:30am----3:45pm here now. done replacing the 2 purge valves. One of them is open when I blew it. The other one doesn't let any air thru.

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This is truly mind-blowing. Are there any other cases of this?

14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

there are a lot of cases outside the ferrari world, like volskwagon and fords but their tanks are usually not aluminum.

15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

it looks like , in my case, it is not a plugged vent system, rather a singular cause of intake vacuum acting on the gas tank thru a faulty valve. I'll drive 100 miles and see if cel came back. I bet no.

16. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#17 24000rpm, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Please be advised that this is a euro version 360 modena, not a US version. The anti-evap system of the US car is similar but parts are located on different locations and some parts are a little different as well, though they may serve the same function.

Analysis and account of events.

1. Replaced the charcoal canister with a known good one ( installed a new one on another modena and drove only 5000 miles), make sure its not plugged.
    2. TEST 1 in green font in the picture. This valve on top of the charcoal canister is controlled by a 12v signal. I remove the valve and blow through it without applying 12v, air goes through. Applied 12v, air won't let through. So this is a good valve.
    3. TEST 2 in green font in the picture. This is not a signal controlled valve. I only removed the bottom hose from the valve and blow it, and it let air though. When upside down, the shut-off valve on top of this thing works, so no air through. So this is good.
    4. TEST 3 in green font in the picture. (kudos to vrsurgeon). These 2 small valves are voltage controlled valves. I removed these 2 small valves, and blow them without applying voltage. One of them isn't letting air though, which is good. The other one is letting air though, which is bad. I don't even have to apply voltage for the test because these 2 valves are identical.

So that means one of the small valves is bad.

About how the fuel tank got vacuum: the intake manifold obvious is the source of the huge vacuum, when the small valve in TEST 3 fails, it let air through. Look at those green arrows, you can see that the vacuum find its way, through the charcoal canister, to the fuel tank! And that basically is what happened.

When the fuel tank has a pressure problem, it will give you a CEL, in my case p0440.

So please do not ignore your evap related cel unless you want your $5000 fuel tank to collapse like mine, although it is a very small odd.

I maybe lucky that I don't smell any fuel , but i'll do a thorough check if the fuel tanks have any tiny leaks. If no leaks, i'll just leave them as is.

Thank you for reading.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

18. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Now I am confused about another thing.
    The vacuum in the fuel tank only happens after I drive for a while. It has no vacuum(not that it didn't build up yet) when it starts, cold or warm.
    I can only surmise that the valve in TEST 3 is open when car just starts hence the sucking action is diluted to the general atmosphere. The vacuum in fuel tank only starts to build when the valve in TEST 3 closes.

Is that the case?

19. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
  20. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    What year is this car? Looking at this a little further, there seems to be a lot less info about the '99 MY, even Ricambi's site only seems to list 2000-2004. Wonder what the differences are between the '99's and others...

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The only other thing that I was wondering is if where valve 12 and their lines enter the charcoal canister, if each line that enters has a different function. If the left bank entering the charcoal canister is designed for warmup while the right is designed for general use vacuum. Again, not sure on this but I'll check on my 99' this weekend. FYI 99's and 2000's *should* be similar for the most part with the exception of the header lines to the air pump on startup. Mine is a euro so isn't like the US version.

22. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

this one is 2002. If you have a US car, no matter what year it is, these 2 valves are on the driver side. Pic shown is the passenger side(RH side).

23. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

first, your 99 euro car shouldn't have the on/off valve above the charcoal canister. Euro cars has 2 versions of canisters, mine is the later version with 4 holes. Yours must be a 3-hole version

I think the valve #12 lines enters the canister with the same function. Reason: i held my 4-hole version canister in my hand (removed from car). Using my mouth to blow the hole from line coming to valve 12-1 and cover all other holes, except the hole from line coming to valve 12-2, it let air through

so they are

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Ahhh! :)