Fuel tank removal - 308 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fuel tank removal - 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dave80gtsi, Nov 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks again everybody. I'm probably going to tackle this over the weekend.

I have a Sanden AC compressor that's very close to the tank. I hope I can get it out with out having to remove the Sanden.... :(

Greg

2. tnowak

tnowak Rookie

Apr 13, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Tom Nowak
    #27 tnowak, Jul 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What I've done in the past to remove the tank is to swing it through an arc (see attached sketch) so the skinny top portion is facing down in the rear area of the wheelwell arch. The rear portion of the wheelwell arch is more open than the front of the wheelwell arch. If you try to remove it from the front or top portion of the wheelwell arch, you will hit the lip of the fender. I also recommend removing the lines to the cannister before doing this. You will need to finagle the tank a little, but this open area in the rear of the wheelwell provides room to finagle. Once the top portion of the tank is clear of the wheel components you have even more room to clear the fatter, lower portion of the tank.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    tnowak,
    I appreciate the tip. My first reaction to your suggestion was:

"Wow, is there enough room to move the tank fore to aft, with that arc?"

I guess there is..!

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Greg

PS--Congrats on your 1st post. Fill out your profile, so we can know more about you!

4. tnowak

tnowak Rookie

Apr 13, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Tom Nowak
    It is kind of hard to explain, but what you will be doing is rotating the top of the tank so the back side of the upper part of the tank (it is relatively thin) will be in front of the hub. Then you will be rotating the tank (top facing down) through an arc towards the rearward portion of the wheelwell, using approximately the center of the hub as the swing point of swinging the tank through the arc from front to back. The additional clearance of the thin portion of the tank in front of the hub assembly provides the room to rotate the tank.

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Got it, thanks...

I really appreciate all the tips, everybody....

I'll post my adventure later.. :)

Greg

6. tnowak

tnowak Rookie

Apr 13, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Tom Nowak
    #31 tnowak, Jul 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found a couple of pictures. Step one shows removing the top portion of the tank out from the wheelwell. Step two shows rotating the top portion of the tank towards the front of the hub. The third step would be to rotate the tank towards the back using the hub c/l as the approximate pivot point, then pulling the tank out. Sorry about not having a step 3 picture, but I didn't have enough hands to shoot a pic when I did this.
    P.S. I had to zip the files, because they are larger than 800 x 800
    Image Unavailable, Please Login