Full cuoio with Grigio Ferro | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Full cuoio with Grigio Ferro

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by BaronM69, May 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Thank you.

To complete the list; Tubi exhaust - no valves, carbon air intake, and 100 cel sport cats...

2. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You are right but it is very dependent on where the sun is to create maximum reflection. It is not a constant and so difficult to capture in a photograph.

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    In my F12b the only Iroko color items listed as premiums are:

ULEZ : UPPER PART IN COLORED LEATHER 364022135 IROKO
    SHF3: LEATHER PARCEL SHELF 364022134 IROKO
    RUF1 : LEATHER HEADLINER 364022135 IROKO

4. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    And you are also correct, I've never been able to replicate in a photo....its hot and miss with Re to the reflection.... Nothing that modern day polarised sunglasses can't cure....

I did decide to do the entire interior including the dashboard of my 812 in beige - original one not tradizional....and of course today you have to be prepared to indemnify the mighty F for any accident or incident that occurs as a result of poor visibility from dashboard colour blah blah.......

5. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Nope, it's a standard colour

6. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    I think the gent meant "generally" speaking...

the bits you mention are premium for having it in any colour other than black and for example the rear parcel shelf is usually Alcantara if i'm not mistaken, therefore you (we) pay for leather and headliner would be black leather too, correct ???

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I can't confirm because I didn't order the car new but since you've done it before I'm certain you much more aware of these details.

8. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

I have indeed, but admittedly and embarrassingly can't remember.....no recollection re headliner. parcel shelf I'm sure is alcantara standard because of my FF's both having that and neither was spec'd for the bit....boot for sure is carpet unless you stupidly order leather as I did - any small, med, or large item just slips and slides away back there driving you crazy

I'll pay attention close on 812 as i spec it

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Ive had the colored dash as well. I think its a very luxurious look, and its something I really appreciate. In terms of the look, unless the interior is black to begin with, I don't love the black dash. It simply looks like other cars. On the other hand, so many cars have black dash boards for a reason! The reflection issue is a real one. And take notice, you can have a black dash and still get reflections, though they will be much less. If you have contrasting stitching on your black dash, that will definitely reflect as well. So black leather with white or red or yellow stitching = reflections.

I have found most people tolerate the reflections differently. For example, even though my 599's Cuoio dash did reflect on to the windshield, it never bothered me. I never thought it was an issue. And I thought the car looked sooooo much better for it. However I let a much taller friend drive the car one day and he remarked the reflection was almost unbearable! I was also wearing polarized sunglasses and he was not. Could it also have to do with polarized lenses and also the angle you sit to the windshield? I suppose both are possible.

In general when ordering something like Cuoio these days, I have taken to integrating some other complimentary colors, such as blue, so I can make the dash a dark blue, which gives me my not looking like other cars look, and yet helps to reduce the glare (not as reduced as black, but better than a lighter color). That being said, if I felt the Cuoio dash would look so amazing, I would do it.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #35 4th_gear, May 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There's a difference between (direct) glare reflection and image reflection (glare from the reflected image, not the actual object) but you're right about lighter colours giving off more glare reflection. It's easy to understand if you compare looking directly at a white interior vs a black interior in bright sunlight. The direct glare from a white interior will overwhelm you. I totally agree with the direct glare issue. The very light colours will have glare issues.

OTOH, image reflection (glare) off the windshield from the dashboard uppers has more to do with the texture of the finish than the colour of the material, the incident angle of the sunlight being equal. You can see this plainly in the attached photos.

When I discussed this with my dealer's sales manager, he said white and beige are not good candidates for the dashboard uppers but that cuoio would be OK. I didn't think a black dashboard upper would be consistent with a tailored look.

If you prefer or don't mind the look of a generic black mat placed over your carefully selected interior, that's a different matter. My attached photos are a quick-and-dirty comparison between some interiors with/without matched cuoio and beige dashboard uppers. I have tried to match the light levels in the photos but obviously the lighting conditions were quite different. On the upper left photo you can see the reflections of the black uppers in the windshield.

You are going to have both kinds of reflections and glare with any colour. I think whether you use a black upper or a colour-matched one depends on your individual preference and tolerance for colour-mismatch vs an occasional distraction from reflections.

For more photos, just google "F12 interior". Yes, I know the photos do not all show an F12.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jerry, despite of having fully specified last year another car I have with a beige interior and a black dashboard , I just start having a proper thinking about this subject of dash color after reading your post. Suddenly I realized that the aesthetic part of the color of the dash becomes secondary if it creates reflexions you can't live with.

12. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Good post by 4th gear.

If the selection is still made for the lighter dashboard and found to be too reflective there is always the aftermarket dash pad and sunglasses as a fall back. However I am not a fan of either dash pads or black dashboards and prefer a dark interior color for the over all look, just my preference for a more tailored look.

13. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    :)

14. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Absolutely. All upper part and "deviated color from standard black" comes at a premium

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have had 2 Californias and an F12 with Couio dash and have not had an issue with glare of any significance..

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Mario, that is true and that's why I went to a dark blue dash on the F12. I didn't want to discover after the fact that I made an expensive mistake.

17. pelank

pelank Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Monaco
    #42 pelank, May 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    BaronM69 likes this.
  18. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    This doesn't look so bad? Ideal.... no, but love the full cuoio look vs. half cuoio and then upper dash is Nero. I guess you just have to deal with it when the sun hits overhead..

Considering doing full cuoio for my first Ferrari (488) and in doing some research came across this thread with the same concerns I have now

19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have full sand beige on my 911, and it does reflect a good bit, especially on a sunny day. In my experience, polarized sun glasses and keeping an eye out for maniac drivers, tends to diminish the impact. To be honest, I find the reflection from the white contrast stitching on my Cali (cioccolato interior) to be mildly more annoying than the full dash reflection. The picture posted above by Pelank is a pretty good representation of the issue IMO. So, apart from driving a cuoio F-car, that might be the best bet to see if it will impact you or not...T