Full face vs open face helmet in a hard top coupe | FerrariChat

Full face vs open face helmet in a hard top coupe

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Sep 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I am going to be doing some track days in my 458 and need to buy a helmet. I’ve been looking at the bell sport mag open face helmet but have seen a lot of guys wearing a full face helmet. If you’re in a hard top coupe like the 458 Italia, is there any reason to get a full face helmet over a more comfortable open face? For a spider convertible I understand a full face, but for a hard top coupe why do guys choose full face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Does the sanctioning body require a full face helmet?

Matt

3. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    Another consideration is tire clag and rocks coming in the side window kicked up by the car in front of you. I wear a full face with the visor just cracked for some air. Lots of 'stuff' comes in the side window and hits my helmet. At the end of the day, lots of junk to vacuum out of the cockpit.

4. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    An open face may not be acceptable for events with some groups. You will not run into that problem with a full face.

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Full face if you like your face.....

6. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Went with a full face carbon fiber Stilo.

7. Doc V.

Doc V. Karting

Aug 29, 2012
    This.
    And this.

8. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    I'm a big fan of the Bell M8 helmet. Full face, but with an enlarged eye port. It's designed for people who wear glasses, but gives a larger aperture with the added protection of a full-face helmet.

Texas Forever and zygomatic like this.
  9. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I bought the Stilo ST5.

Manda racing and Dogdish like this.
  10. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    You only get one head. Also, while rare, there are videos of cars on tracks hitting wildlife like a deer, and that is a scary thought even in a hard top car!

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Wolfram

Wolfram Rookie

Jun 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Browne
    I went for the Arai GP-6RC carbon full-face helmet for tracking my 488 Spider. My thinking was overall safety coupled with lightness, and I never knew when I might be offered a passenger lap in something interesting with a soft-top or no roof.

As it happens, after sessions at Snetterton and Silverstone I got a little scared by the potentially huge consumables cost of tracking my 488 regularly... so acquired a wonderful supercharged Lotus Elise as a track toy. Of course, being soft-top, my original choice of helmet came in handy!

jcurry, trumpet77, Dogdish and 4 others like this.
  12. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Very smart choice finding a more dedicated track car, as consumables and any potential damage to the car will put a large dent in the wallet with a Ferrari.