Fully Automatic Cup Holder - No intervention required | FerrariChat

Fully Automatic Cup Holder - No intervention required

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mobinakhtar, Oct 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Hello friends! My lovely 2010 Ferrari California has an interesting feature. On a very hard upshift or the slightest bump, the cup holder in the dash deploys. First I was annoyed, but now I proudly point it to my passengers and announce "watch my cup holder auto-deploy....." before they get embarrassed thinking - OMG can't believe I hit my knee on his Ferrari dash and opened up the cup holder.

Sadly though, then they try to close it only to find its STICKY!!!!!!!!!!! and will close on third or fourth try. All this time they are thinking .......this is a 2010 model Ferrari right?

Ok, All joking aside, has anyone figured out how to keep this puppy shut? or am I the only one with this "feature"

2. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    WoW 41 views and not a single reply. C'mon guys...Is no one having cup holder blues? Do we know what mechanism holds it close? I cannot figure it out yet.

3. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Hmm... I didn't notice there was a cup holder on the Cali's dash. :)

4. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    No issues on my 2010. No drinks allowed either!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Just super glue it closed and be done with it ;)

Bill Phillips likes this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My wife survived discovered the cup holder after we had it for months. Like the radio, it never gets used.
    T

7. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Just found it :)

8. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
  9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We've refinished several of those - have 2 in house now. Typically they are the same color as the leather. Of the 2 we are doing now, 1 is Cuoio and the other beige.

10. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Ah!!!!! Dave to the rescue!

Dave, how does this mechanism stay in the closed position. mine might be sticky inside (as in spilled coke or something). Any advice?

11. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Mine is in Couio. I have to push it in a few times before it decides to stay close - but opens at first road bump.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Typically we only get the two trim pieces in to refinish, however, right now the dealer sent in the entire mechanism. If I get time, I'll open it up and post a video but what I can tell is there is a ratchet type mechanism with a catch. Sounds like your catch is deformed / broken but it will be more clear if I can get it open to have a good look. The catch seems very far in the back - that said - I doubt anything got that far in to contaminate it.

13. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    As usual - you rock Dave. I am not scared to take it apart. On that note, How much do you charge to in-sticky say trunk/fuel buttons. If your website listed prices it be so easy. you can PM me if you like

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've decided to not take apart the one we have in house. I'm not scared and really want to do it but since it's not mine, I better leave it alone. Please send me an email (not PM) for pricing - thank you ;)

15. Nick.C

Nick.C Rookie

Oct 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    nicholas chatburn
    Silly Q time... but where the hell is it. .?

16. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Isn’t it an optional extra? Therefore not all cars have it. I don’t think my wife’s does.

17. Nick.C

Nick.C Rookie

Oct 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    nicholas chatburn
    Ahhh... that explains it. Was upside with a torch looking for the bugger.

18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    To the right and a little below the navi console. I think you have to push in on it to get it to pop out. My wife find it. Didn't know it was there!
    T

19. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Mine does the same thing and it
    Mine does the same thing and it drives me NUTS!!! I wish I could make it stop. No one uses it and it really can’t hold a normal sized cut.

20. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Our Cali 30 just developed this problem. We closed the cup holder and wedged a small piece of cardboard in the opening. It provided enough friction to keep the cup holder closed on a 100 mile ride. We left a bit of it exposed so that we can remove the wedge if we need to use the cup holder.