Fun Poll: "If I couldn't live in the U.S., I'd want to move to ____" | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fun Poll: "If I couldn't live in the U.S., I'd want to move to ____"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ryalex, May 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

If I couldn't live in the U.S., I'd want to move to...

1. Canada

2. Mexico

3. Bahamas/Jamaica/U.S.V.I./Other Carribean

4. Costa Rica

5. Other Central America

6. Brasil

7. Argentina

8. Chile

9. Peru

10. Ecuador

11. Other South America

12. England

13. Scotland

14. Ireland

15. France

16. Portugal

17. Spain/Canary Is.

18. Germany

19. Italy

20. Monaco

21. Switzerland

22. Austria

23. Denmark

24. Holland

25. Sweden

26. Finland

27. Norway

28. Greece / Malta / Bosnia / Other Mediterranean

29. Other Europe

30. Israel

31. Saudi Arabia/UAE

32. Other Middle East

33. South Africa

34. Other Africa

35. India/Sri Lanka

36. Japan

37. China / Hong Kong

38. Korea

39. Phillipines

40. Thailand

41. Malaysia

42. Other Asia

43. Australia

44. New Zealand

45. Tonga/Samoa/Other Polynesia

46. Fiji / Other Micronesia

47. Russia

48. Czech Republic / Eastern Europe

49. Nepal / Bhutan / Himalaya area

50. Singapore

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    WTF are you smoking mate? Maybe you read a couple of news articles and have let you imagination run wild. NZ has it's problems like any country but it's nothing like what you are suggesting. It's my home country and when I've had enough of England I'll happily head back to that part of the world.

2. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    20 years living in Otara and Otahuhu wouldn't exactly put me on the outside now would it? Show me one poll anywhere that doesn't have NZ slipping backwards in OECD world rankings for anything remotely to do with education/ competitiveness/ health/ literacy/ tax/ Percentage GDP spent on welfare.

And I just noticed you're from Tauranga, WTF? How much farther removed from the real NZ can you get.

3. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Steve you head where you like, there's probably someone on here who's home country is Somalia or Angola and when he's had enough he'll be returning home too. Me, I'd do Oz over NZ in a heartbeat.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yikes! There was your problem - living in 'da hood of Auckland. I thought you were exaggerating as well; then again, my best friends there were Maoris, Polys and Asians so I might have been "too close to the problem" to see it.

5. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    No but it'd give you a extremely biased viewpoint, no one in their right mind would want to live there, they're probably amongst the worst places in NZ to live, along with Porirua.

Actually Tauranga is the real NZ, I can vouch for that having lived all over this country, including the aforementioned Porirua :(

FYI the real NZ is in the rural areas not in places like Auckland, and certainly not Otara and Otahuhu, but then I doubt you've experienced the real NZ as you seem so bitter about the place, perhaps you can join a support group with Courtney Love, she hated growing up here as well so you can b*tch about NZ together :p

6. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    England (the Cotswolds) and Italy.

The "where would you live if you could live anywhere" question hs more than one answer, for me. After daughter is established in life, I'd like to boat over to the UK and take a middle aged version of the grand tour - perhaps for several years.

7. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    You've missed the ball there, again, I'm from 6 generations of a Canterbury farming family. If you put on your rose tinted spectacles then I agree, just like South Canterbury and Otago, Tauranga is still like the rest of NZ was 20 years ago and if we were having this poll 20 years ago I'd say come on down. My point is that much of the country has changed and in the case of the "real NZ" ie The NZ of 2004 it's not for the better.

When I go back to where I used to live it's like slums (in NZ) and it's dodgy by day (let alone by night) and I think to myself WTF is this country coming to. And being from Tauranga you possibly have no idea what I am talking about. Have a look around next time you're heading north.

8. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    Looks like you're the one missing the ball, I may live in Tauranga right now, but like I said I've lived all over NZ and got to see a lot of the bad parts, including Otara and Otahuhu (I lived in Auckland for 15 years) and you can't possibly compare the rest of NZ to those cesspits. You have a very dark view of this country and one not a lot of people share, perhaps it came from living in darkest South Auckland which most people would agree isn't good for your morale.

As for Tauranga being 20 years behind, where do you get those silly ideas from, it's the fastest growing region in NZ and certainly not like it was 20 years ago. Perhaps you're the one who needs to take a good look at the country you're disparaging.

Anyway I'll not argue further, it's painfully obvious that you have a dislike of this country and your views cannot be changed, but like my grandfather used to say "if you can't say something nice then shut the **** up, because we don't want to hear your whining".

Have a nice day !

9. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Five bob, I give up. 20 year ago everywhere in Tauranga was safe, it probably still is. 20 years ago Auckland was safe, a lot of it isn't. WTF has that got to do with growth in Tauranga? I have no idea.

My point still stands since you can't produce a single document that shows NZ isn't slowly going down the toilet.

What's worse here - me bemoaning plenty of changes for the worse in NZ or you thinking nothings changed. It would seem some on this website have a view of a wonderful NZ that's unfortunately a little dated.

You need to travel a bit more.

Good night.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    ITALY OR FRENCH RIVIERA

11. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am a dual citizen in the US and Australia, so will be going back to Sydney as soon as the USD pile is big enough. We will then be roughly five months in Australia (southern hemisphere summer), five months in southern Europe (northern hemisphere summer) with tropical vacation destinations for transition. Fiji in August, for sure, and am working up my list of others.

Cheers
    Kevin

12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    1) Italy - 16

2) Canada - 13

3) England & Switzerland - 10 each

5) Australia & Monaco - 8 each

7) Brasil - 7

Surprisingly strong showings by England and Brasil (probably the board members married to Brasilian women!).

13. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Didn't see it listed as a country, but I'd move to Texas...

14. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I said Italy because of the women and climate and social aspect (damn friendly!)

I'd dig on my own island too.

Where's "Mars"?

15. roccapalumbo

roccapalumbo Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    ohio
    Full Name:
    robert
    Without a doubt Italy and Sicily. We go every year, I know there are other very beautiful places in the world, but being in Italy/Sicily just feels right. My mother's family is from Sicily so I imagine that has a lot to do with it. I can just imagine any sight or smell like the olive groves, lemon trees or vineyards and I get gooseflesh. For those of you, who have never been GO! You will never forget it and forget the bigger, "touristy" areas and stay in the country.

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I see some trickery going on regarding NZ. Paint it as a terrible place to keep the foreigners out. I'm on to you!

Say it like Charlie Chan: "Trickery... is eeviill."

17. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Yeah, eeviil.

Japan shouldn't be on the list. Last time I was there they didn't allow immigration, period.

A fellow that I know married a Japanese girl and was allowed to *stay* there after a LONG (years) process, and a LOT of hassle, but he still isn't a citizen, and they were married in Japan. I wonder how he's doing these days.

That was in the 90s.

18. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The Top 10 Most Desired Places Outside America Here on Ferrarichat:

1) Italy, 23 votes

2) Canada, 15 votes

3) England, 12 votes

4) Australia and Switzerland [tie], 10 votes

6) Monaco, 9 votes

7) Brasil, 7 votes

8) Bahamas/USVI/Carribean and Germany [tie], 6 votes

10) New Zealand, 5 votes

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    for the noobs

20. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    New Zealand. Its nice to see 6 other people are in the know. ;)

21. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Second star on the left, and straight on 'till morning. :D

Mars, absolutely.
    (The meek shall inherit the earth -- after the rest of us have @#$%ed it up and moved on. ;) )

22. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    I voted in this thread long ago (why was it dug back up?), and I'm pretty sure I put Spain. I absolutely love that country. That said, I would like to move to London in a few years to get a Masters at LSE.

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Although I voted for Australia, Italy was a close second. My ex-wife was Italian and my last G/F was Italian. Go figure.

24. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Switzerland............... no income tax.

I'd like to live in Greece near my family but I could never cope with the screwed up schedules that people live by there.

25. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Nostalgia.

Angelo - I think it's like 17% or something tax in Switzerland. But hey, that's *like* nothing compared to here (or worse, Canada). Houses do cost $900k pretty much everywhere there though...