Funnies... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Funnies...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Dec 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Radu

Dave Radu Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    San Jose, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave Radu
    Thanks for the Monday morning laugh. Some of those are absolutly outragious. Talk about LOL. The office thought I was crazy.

Thanks again DES

2. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    ;-) Gee, DES, it seems you'll post anything. Maybe what some of our mutual friends are saying behind your back is true?

"P***W****"

;-)

JMJ

Or maybe you need another job to keep you busy. ;-)

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, JMJ, they were funny, so i thought i'd share... i'm definitely not a *ost *hore, i just have a high posting libido... :)

4. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    Ladies and Gentlemen, the always entertaining DES.

PS: I'd improve your Photography skills if you're thinking of going to some magazines with your stuff. You'll want to be the most marketable package possible. Journalism is one of those "glamour" professions-- they take the glamour out of your pay!

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!

You think i should include some of the pictures i've taken in a portfolio...? i don't really know anything about photography- it's sorta like art, you know; i just know what i like... :)

6. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Glamor profession ..... ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha ha ah ahhhaahhaha

Sorry just looked into my wallet to see if it is a glamor profession

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL... i'm not looking for millions, just enough to support myself (like, maybe more than what i make now); doing something you enjoy is really important and i'd like to eventually learn that, first hand...

8. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    If you really enjoy it, go for it. As for supporting youself... I would(and I did) try something else.

You had some nice shots in your New Orleans posts. But take lots and lots of exposures, edit, and only show your very best.

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Well, ultimately, it would be nice to do as a full-time gig... i don't think that free lancing an article here and there will support me, so i don't have any intention of leaving what's already paying me for a CHANCE to get paid with something else...

i take a BUNCH of shots whenever i take pictures; i guess sifting through them and only picking out the best ones is easy enough...

10. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Carbon, how much for the avater space??

11. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    DES I don't want to discourage you just be carefull

As with many jobs / professions this seems all fun and games but it is hard work and the freelance world is a cutthroat world.

One of the problems that I run into all the time is that there are so many "Semi" pro's out there who have some writing or some photography but have a full time job outside the journalism side and are always doing "I'll do it for $$$" because their lively hood is already covered. I lost one of my long term magazine gigs becuase some guy, who drives a city bus for a living, came in and offered to do a car review for $100 per month (just so he could get the cars to drive)
    This was a percentage of what i was making but it cut me down because that magazine had other associated publications that I was just starting to be featured in and it all went away cauz some pinhead busdriver undercut me.

I know when you are just starting out it is easy to think some money is great but try and determine what the going rate is in your market. National pubs Regional pubs newspapers all pay on a word count but published word not submitted.

I get a kick out of some of the things you have written here and there may be a future out there for you as a writer. Just get to know how much that is worth on the market and how much you will have to do to cover the bills. We can always talk about this later if you want to PM me.

Jim

12. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    That little trick will go far towards making you look more professional. Plus, looking at all your shots, you'll get more of a gut feel for what makes a good photo, and then you'll be able to apply it as you're actually composing and taking more pics. Be very fussy. You're only critiqing yourself. It's your readers that you've got to really please.

13. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan

Yes, sir. Well said WriterGuy. Amen.

14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I make a living doing this now
    I have also

Sold Cars
    Done cusotmer satisfaction management for a Ford dealership
    Repo'd Cars for GMAC
    Did Collections for GMAC
    Service Advisor (Ford)
    Assistant Service manager (volvo)
    Sold Computer systems to Car Dealers
    Sold Pool Tables
    Construction
    Stone Mason
    Janitor
    Superintendant for Appartments
    Sold Y2K services
    Photographer
    Writer
    School photographer
    Bar tender
    Cook
    Bus boy
    Landscaping
    Service delivery driver
    and others

15. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #40 writerguy, Dec 22, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jim, i'd like to get a feel for a magazine beyond just writing; editing, assistant editing, DESign/layout, photography and, above all, writing... What you say makes sense and, although i'm eager to be in any way associated with a publication, i don't want to be humming the tune to Jaws everytime i "cut" a deal to get printed...
    Bottom line, for me, right now is this:
    Judging from what you've read that i've written, do you think i could score any kinda gig (free lance, steady- whatever) in the automotive journalism world...? Please don't hold back, don't be scared to "crush this kid's spirits" or any of that, i need an honest, no holds barred, not sugar-coated answer from someone who DOES this. If you have to PM me the answer, so be it.
    Also, maybe talking about this further wouldn't be a bad idea... Thanks; i'll PM you in a bit...

JMJ, being a reader, myself, i know how tough it is to please them; that's my biggest worry...

Davem, it doesn't necessarily have to be cash; i can barter... What kind of models do you have...? :)

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Nice...! i'll assume you drove it before or after you took the picture...? (Point being that you drove it:))

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

ROTFLMSAO. Jim. I share your pain. My 80-year old mother keeps asking me when am I gonna get a real job. (She brings this up normally right before she asks for money.)

DrTax

19. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Had it for a week just dropped it off and picked up the motorcycle.

70degrees in Dallas
    Don't miss Canada

20. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #45 writerguy, Dec 22, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, Writer, nice picture... What'd you end up maxing that puppy out at...?

Jim - LMAO...!!! i have no idea what the hell that had to do with this thread, but it was funny...!

23. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    A little Oral Surgeon humor:

WHY PEOPLE GRIND THEIR TEETH AT NIGHT:

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Gee I hope the lady in question never sees this picture ... :(.

Many years ago some girl went on a talent quest type program in Australia ... and she should have given it a bit more thought, as they give everybody a hard time on this program ... and anyway she was a fairly large young girl. Apparently a few weeks after the program she attempted to commit suicide, as her skit was been shown over and over again on TV as a joke.

Guess I am being a bit too sensitive, but laughing at someone or myself is cool and all, but calling a large women a 'whale' would I imagine really hurt that persons feelings ... and I guess she did not take the photo.

Anyway, welcome to the internet!, but I think we should steer respectively clear of personal things like that, ie. weight, handicaps, disabilities, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth ... and yes flame away, I assume :)
    Pete

25. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That priceless whale beached on the 'net a lonnnnng time ago.

DES - it's because of the very competitive nature of Mags/Editors/Writers that I recommended a month or so ago that you write a book instead of writing for mags.

The way I see it, in today's market - if you write a book and publish it - you've got that much more leeway/bargaining power or whatever to write for mags, whether freelance or otherwise - without all the fuss and bother of a journalism major, to boot. Then you can write for mags and compile those mag articles or whatever they reject into more books.

Stages 2 &3 look kinda like this:
    Down the Mag>Book road, Mag can pick up the bulk, if not all of the tab on the stuff being republished in book form that you wrote while working for them - if contracts are tasty, then you both get a slice of that pie.

Down the "rejected" path - it may very well be your best stuff, but too guerilla (Something as simple as driving 100+ on public roads might rub an editor the wrong way) for their tastes. So on, and so on.

So, if you were able to pull something like the above scenario off - you'd have 3 books, dozens of mag articles and a certain Italian car...

My .02