Future collectability of an F355 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Future collectability of an F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Bella458, Jul 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355redcar

355redcar Karting
    BANNED

Feb 21, 2013
    we will wish it does ,it is the nicest body style yet,nothing else even comes close to f355

Only time will tell

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Standard quote: "When the top goes down the price goes up."

3. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think the jury is still out re the 355, and it will be a long time before we really know.
    However, there is no doubt that the Spiders change hands more often.

And, the cars which seem to command the highest prices at the moment are the GTBs and GTSs, and it doesn't seem to matter which gearbox they have (I'm speaking outside the US. May be different for you guys).

Long term, who knows. Just enjoy your car. It's never going to be a Dino or F40.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    In today's market, spiders typical sell for less than GTS or GTB's. That's a fact for sure and maybe it's due to the vast amount of spiders on the market compared to hard tops.

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Look at a Hemi Cuda vs a hardtop. drop top is the one

Cages are to keep you confined Convertibles you enjoy the world

less production always helps also

We will never see a big return on these, maybe our grand children. Don't know why we think we have collector cars. Its a car drive it

:)

6. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #56 drbob101, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No Dave , that is not a fact for sure at all.

Haggerty's valuation tool is the most respected in the classic car field. Here are the valuations on identical 1998 models.

NADA is used by most dealers nationwide for trade ins and basic up to date valuations. Go look at the prices there.

NADA Home Page
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's like a home appraisal Bob, it's not really what the market prices are.....

8. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Wrong Dave. That's data gleaned from the marketplace

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If I'm wrong, why did I pay $68k and you paid $64.5k? Certainly far from the data you posted

10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Guys, as someone that's been dealer store since 1976 recently retired, these guides (NADA, Kelly) are just that guides, they are selling a service and the pricing is the carrot to get your attention. Follow where their money comes from, advertizing.
    Market sets the price on cars, this can vary greatly county to county even more so state to state.
    The only reason we used them is to low ball you on a trade-in, we do not use that at all to set retail or wholesale prices. Insurance companies may use them to low ball you also, seen that much over the years.
    Only way to get real value is to sell it. Stop reading craigslist and ebay they are no indication on true market value. It's worth what someone will pay for it. period.
    Now carfax, LOL don't get me started on them LOL

:)

11. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not so in Canada.Spiders sell for much more

12. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Lol Dave. There is a year differences , 10k mile difference , f1 vs stock difference and we are both nuts!!!

Actually if you like to think your car is a better example and at the high end of those prices , it isn't that far off

13. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    That's the reason I bought mine -- it's more rare and being a factory-spec Challenge may become interesting in the future. I'm not counting on that however and enjoying the car in the meantime.

Does anybody know how many of the F355 Challenge cars were destroyed? I'd be curious to know the current number of clean cars.

14. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    I think the Hagerty data is skewed and when talking to them extensively they admitted this as well. Based on these numbers I don't think they let you insure a car for an 'astronomical' (relative) value -- i.e. huge deviations of insurance values will require individual appraisal or rationale of why it should be.

Overall from dealing with Hagerty on F355 and a few other cars it does look like they underestimate the market by at least 20-30% in some cases.

15. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    My Dad made his living in used cars and at the time here in the NYC area the MC Galves book was the bible for used car pricing. It was a wholesale tool for buying inventory and trade ins. The NADA guide is used widely the same way

I was posting that more for relative pricing gt vs. spider.

I won't even open the F1 vs. stick thing but,,, what is the most sought after 430 ??

I don't really think these cars will be collectibkex like the vintage ferraris are now. They made to many of them , there are plenty of good examples out there of them that probably won't at this point be destroyed. It most likely will be another car that will depreciate like every other car I've owned so I plan on enjoying it regardless.

This is all just fun chat.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Bob, you've been around here long enough to know what the real market is and spiders sell for less. Maybe some years from now it will turn the other way. GTS/GTB's regardless of F1 or not, are more hard to find.

As far as the 430, Some want the stick but many others want the F1.

And, yep, it's all in good fun for sure. Now, I need to get back to work so I can afford the fun ;-)

17. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    That is absolutely not the truth Dave. Spiders DO NOT sell for less. That is a false statement for sure.

The most desirable 430 out there is the last year 6 speed, Spider. No debate.

They imported and sold more Spiders to the US because they were more desired. They didn't just make Spiders for the hell of it. They were ordered more than GTs. Simple supply and demand. They sold more because they were more desired. That fact didn't change over the last 16 years regardless if one owns one or not.

Gts may be more rare but that doesn't make them more valuable, it just means there are less of them, because they didn't sell as many to begin with.

My original point re: Daytonas and 330s. Go look at relative values GT vs. Spider. Not even close!! I'll see if I can dig up some production numbers on them to see if the same production ratios as 355s apply.

Green Ferraris are very rare. ARe they more valuable?

You don't see every sale that is transacted in the open market and I have seen Spiders listed and sold for more than GTs as well.

18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    does anyone really care tho? its not like there its exponential...if a car is worth 70K and one trades for 10 pecent more and one trades for 10 percent less who cares....at the end of the day we each will buy what we like...so with the 355 im always a coupe buyer and never a spider. with the 360 im always a spider buyer and wld prefer stick...with the 430 im a spider buyer and id be fine with stick or f1....with the 458 im a coupe buyer and its gonna be f1...

19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'll save you the time, the production numbers are nowhere near the same ratio of 355's. 125 daytona spiders vs. 1400 hard tops, so 11:1 vs. less than 4:3 for the 355. Plus, the Daytona spider is arguably better looking than the GTB and while the 355 spider is good looking, you'll have a tough time finding many people that think it's better looking than a GTB.

20. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris

I am one!!

21. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am two

22. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
  23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I think the spider is better looking, even with the top up. I don't like the GTS at all. I don't like the looks of removable roof panels on any car, 355 GTS, 308 GTS, Porsche, Corvette... Either it's a roadster or a couple. Anything else is an after thought.

24. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Spider much better looking to me also. Looks like a Mustang fastback with the roof

25. lauris

lauris Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2005
    Glasgow
    Full Name:
    Scott Laurie
    enjoying this thread.

I think the spider is better looking than the coupe, I had a 355 red/crema/manual, then a 360 now just bought a 355 spider in yellow, simply because its so gorgeous,

do I think they will go up in value - well I paid about the same of the spider this weekend as I paid for my first 355 8 years ago, and its in better condition.

I think values have stabilised and as the cars get older the rough ones get cheaper and the good ones get dearer.

starting to see a few very low mileage 355's sell in the £60 to £70k, (that's sterling) in the UK which is a good indicator of the cars being collectable.

will they ever be the next dino - yes - but its so far away its not worth thinking about,

6 years ago, dinos were, £40k in the UK, now £150 to £200k, the 355 will ultimately become very collectable as good low mileage cars get rarer and rarer, but I think that will be probably 10 years or more from now.

regards
    Scott.

Glasgow