GANASSI CONSIDERS F1 MOVE..... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

GANASSI CONSIDERS F1 MOVE.....

Discussion in 'F1' started by writerguy, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Check out the "#2" jag in Klien's hands.....

Testing times from Valencia
    1* MONTOYA*** Williams**1m09.103s
    2* BUTTON**** BAR*******1m09.467s
    3* KLIEN***** Jaguar****1m09.514s
    4* SATO****** BAR*******1.09.893s
    5* WEBBER**** Jaguar****1m09.894s
    6* RAIKKONEN**McLaren***1m10.219s
    7* ZONTA***** Toyota****1m10.250s
    8* DAVIDSON***BAR*******1m10.299s
    9* GENE****** Williams**1m10.301s
    10*COULTHARD*McLaren***1m10.412s
    11*DA MATTA* Toyota****1m10.532s

Testing times from Imola
    1 TRULLI Renault 1m21.241s
    2 MASSA* Sauber* 1m21.265s
    3 BADOER Ferrari 1m21.421s
    4 ALONSO Renault 1m21.683s
    5 FISICHELLA Sauber 1m21.795s
    6 PANTANO Jordan 1m22.597s
    7 HEIDFELD Jordan 1m23.271s
    8 BRUNI Minardi 1m23.999s

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sounds like a good deal. From where do you watch?

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And another attempt to hijack this thread:
    Monaco GP is a good one on that list. I'd recommend Goodwood to the list as well.

My list still has 24 hours of Le Mans on it. One day. Combined with a trip to Paris (there's the hook for my better half).

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There are about 3 NASCAR races that are actually interesting to watch: Sears Point, Watkins Glen, and some other road course. You can see the 3600 lb cars sliding around on their suspensions and tires. Too bad they ruined the best part of Sears Point bypassing the Carrosel. The roundy round stuff is just plain boring, the superspeedway stuff is not worth waking from a nap to watch.

-------------------------

To get more passing in F1; all you have to do is to ban all types of aerodynamic devices. No amount of moderation will work, the engineering budgets are just too large. Ban all aero devices; front wing--gone; back wing--gone, underbody aero--gone; turning vanes--gone; barge boarrds--gone; coke bottle rear body work--gone.

After this, you no longer have to regulate engine power as there is way too much now if there is no aerodynamic stuff. You no longer have to regulate brakes since the tires would not be able to induce such deceleration rates. You still have to limit tire widths, but don't have to limit sidewall heights.

Instead of 40-100 in 2.0 seconds, you will see 40-100 in 5.0 seconds with two large long black streaks from the back tires as the driver wrestles a misstle down the road. More pits stops to replace worn out tires, but less need to refuel the car.

Instead of 100 feet of braking from 215 MPH to 50 MPH (end of straight at indy) you will see 300-400 feet of braking 230 to 30 MPH. You will see passing at the entrance to the straights, passing on the straights, and passing into corners.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good point about the NASCAR road races, yes those even I like.

The description of no aero F1 reminds me of GPL. I wonder why. But you're right, that alone would do the trick and nicely so.

6. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Mitch/Andreas: I understand your point re. aero aids, but I'm hooked on the technology, and aerodynamics is, for better or for worse, part of it.

Andreas: I watch the Monaco GP from the K grandstands by the harbor, with a view of the giant screen. Race tickets are the only thing on which I spend big money- the rest of the trip is relatively cheap. As for Paris, it's a great hook for the wife, or anyone else for that matter. I stop there for a few days each year after the race, and now that an old buddy is buying an apartment there that he'll rarely use, I hope to go more often.

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Joking aside

The thing that amazes me is that if you said NO AERO and gave them a square box to race Identical to the square box everyone else has I would bet the Ferrari one would somehow be more aerodynamic.... Etc
    No matter what you throw at them they will find a way.

I love the Tech side of the race but removing Launch control and limiting, just a little, some of the aerodynamic advantages...

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Now, see how much more cordial this conversation is? :D

So, it's education for the fans and better racing.

Or, give up on F1 is the US.

The latter is actually more likely, as the time differences kill most of the audience. There's only 3 or 4 races that are even close to being on US time.

As far as loving F1, I guess I find the whole scene interesting, but I don't really like it. Howver, I'll watch anything with wheels and a motor, including F1, Swamp Buggies, IRL, German Touring Car, Tractor pulls, Australian Touring Car, NHRA, etc. etc. I've even followed an entire season of Legends cars here at Texas Motor Speedway. F1 wasn't really big in the states when I was growing up. About the most we saw of it was Monaco once a year on ABC's Wide World of Sports, so I didn't get the immersion that apparently is necessary to really fall for the sport.

9. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    I would like to stake for the record that if Ganassi does get an American team involved in F1, I will leave my current job to drive his car. My boss is telling me no, but I will do this for my country.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is where I am, watching any racing is better than watching baseball, football, or basketball IMHO. I love F1, but it's not at the top of my list for watching. It is at the top my list for following all the action between the races with politics, technology, and the personalities.

I've said before, but there's nothing more fun than watching a bunch of amateur club racers go at it. You'll see more wrecks, more passing, and more entertainment than anything else. Watching the pro touring car racing is very similar and would be my #2. IRL has had some of closest racing the past few years and the speeds they do it at can't be matched. I'm excited they may start adding some road courses next year. NASCAR ain't a hop, skip, and a jump bad y'all. :) It's close racing, it's fast, and there are a bunch of wrecks. I enjoy watching a few NASCAR races and I attend the event live when they're at TMS.

I don't think most Americans will ever get F1, just like most Europeans will ever get NASCAR. I think both have opportunities to grow market share in these other markets, but NASCAR will always be #1 in America and F1 #1 in the rest of the world. F1 is like football. The fans are so passionate and the entire event may only have a couple passes/goals. It's a chess match with only a couple Checks and one Check-Mate. That has it's own type of entertainment and some don't like it.

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Is that American football or European football (soccer)?

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    European football. Come on Mitch, we have an educated bunch here. :D

13. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Weeelcum to ScOOTish SOCker HOOOLigan WEEKly

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Couldn't have said it better.

Hakkinen's pass on Michael at Spa is the stuff we'll still be talking in years to come. But to a non F1 fan, it was just one passing maneuver compared to dozens of them in any given NASCAR race.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ira, are you saying you have visited the 24 heures du Mans?

If so, can you elaborate on that a bit please (maybe even in a separate thread)? Where do you stay? How is travel there? Parking, hotels, do you spend the night in the Grandstands, do you bring a TV etc etc? What's the schedule (practice, qualifying, race)?

I'd like to go there one day and plan accordingly.

16. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Sorry no, Andreas- I was referring to my annual stop in Paris after the Monaco GP. My attention span is entirely too short for endurance racing!

17. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Ah use "Honey lets go to Paris..." so when you mention the slight side trip to Monaco she is already mentally comitted to going..... I like the way you think.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually Monaco and the South of France is really an easy sell to any woman. Paris isn't really necessary. Just mention the Provence, Van Gogh, herbes, wine, Nice.
    :)

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It was done in the "Monty Python" sense of the question.

At the bridge of sighs:

Guard:What is the air speed of a fully laden swallow?
    Arthur King of the Britans: Is that an African or a Europena Swallow?
    Guard: I don't know <gets thrown off the bridge> aggggggggg
    Arthur King of the Britans: You have to know these things when you are a King......

20. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    ...and I know that there's intelligent life out there in space 'cause there's bugger all down here on earth

21. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Ever look at an F1 audience in Europe? I dont think there is that much of a cultural gap. I also dont think that if you live in Europe and travel to different countries in Europe makes you well-traveled. A successful/WINNING US driver should garner a larger audience in this country. Just need to find somebody willing to gamble 200-300 million of someone elses money to find out.