Garage Queens; Mileage/Year/Model | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Garage Queens; Mileage/Year/Model

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fyrrari, Aug 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bst1

bst1 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Full Name:
    BARRY T
    I just bought a former garage queen, 1995 F355 Spider with 5600 miles. I was advised on the Silver Subscribed section to "drive the snot out of it!"
    I will keep my battery tender on and drive it regularly, weather permitting of course. Not insured as a commuter, so never to work! I think my mileage won't reach 3000 a year, but certainly will be more than the previous 500 a year. In January, it had the major engine out service, so it starts out like new. My sworn mission is to keep it running sweet, and that requires driving it regularly. I bought it to drive it, not just look at it (but it sure is nice to look at!)

2. bst1

bst1 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Full Name:
    BARRY T
    #27 bst1, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. bst1

bst1 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Full Name:
    BARRY T
  4. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Just disconnect the battery at the union behind the driver's headlight.

5. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
  6. secs

secs Rookie

Sep 8, 2004
    Beautiful automobile, enjoy it!

7. secs

secs Rookie

Sep 8, 2004
    Absolutely, not driving a car does more harm than good. But, no one is saying to just let the car sit and be looked at like a museum piece.
    As long as the car is driven and exercised several times a month reaching proper operating temperature, it will be fine and remain "new" for many years into the future. Of course, fluid change/belt change schedules should also be adhered to.
    A properly maintained low mileage car looks smells & drives like a brand new car. A car with high mileage usually looks and feels like an old used car. Things become worn from use and the car no longer feels new.
    Given two of the identical Ferraris, in identical condition, the lower mileage car will be worth significantly more and be more desirable every time. I have bought and sold many Ferraris over the years and all with very low mileage ( 3K-8K range). At resale time, each car sold within a day of placing the ad and for above asking price as there were several buyers whot kept offering more. Everyone has a price range that they are comfortable with and one can usually get a better model Ferrari for quite a bit less if they buy a higher mileage car. If one wants a perfect, as new, low mileage example, be prepared to pay up for the privilege. I imagine it all depends on the personality of the car’s owner. Some people are not that fussy about condition or perfection and others can’t even sit in a car unless it is flawless. Whatever your personality or reason for buying a Ferrari, one just has to do what is best for him or her. Some like to drive their cars as much as possible, others derive enjoyment from the once a week drive and then just looking at the car. To each his own.

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I agree. every owner has a different situation, and I believe that there are not many owners out there that don't drive their cars often because they think it is a major investment or can't afford to do maintinence. Quite frankly I get sick and tired of the comments that maybe you don't deserve to own a Ferrari if you don't drive the crap out of it, or you are a cheapskate and can't afford the service.
    Many of us have a problem freeing up the time to take those long drives that everyone raves about. I guess it really is about priorities though. I prefer to maintain my life style, even if it means that I can't spend the prefered amount of time driving my cars. Working 7 days a week does not allow you very much free time. It just comes with the territory.

9. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Sorry, gotcha beat. 1979 BB512, 14,400 miles. :)

10. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Oh yes it IS at least since you bought it :D:D:D:D:D

11. The Don

The Don Karting

Oct 10, 2004
    Buy it, drive it, love it. I drive mine every day, execpt in hard rain.

12. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #37 stevew, Aug 30, 2005
  13. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    gahd, How could you possibly NOT drive it?! I'd be itching to drive it every moment I wasn't driving it! And when I was driving it, i would be itching to drive it faster!

You people amaze me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll post here one day with a brand new F70 (yeah, it should be awhile) with 0 miles on nit, then 2 years alater I'll be selling it with 140k miles on it!

14. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I am Augustine, rescuer of garage queens. My current subject: 1987 328 GTS. Bought in April with 16,700 miles. As of today it has over 21,500 miles. When I get home from work tonight it will have more...

15. msouza

msouza Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Milton Souza
    Augustine, we need to organize a rescue club. I bought my 87 328 in march with 34500 miles on it, last weekend it just rolled 39000.

Milton

16. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I'm on board! The first garage queen that I rescued was a black '87 328 GTS with 11k miles. I sold it three months later with 15k miles.

17. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm

cant drive it to work ??

:)

-A

18. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Did you get my PM?

DMAX

19. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    you wont be able to rescue my garage queen :D

20. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Arrgghhhh!

21. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is it going to make an appearance on Sunday M8?

22. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    #47 Dale, Aug 31, 2005
  23. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Steve can't risk it m8 it may rain so it's staying indoor's:D

24. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Yeah, way too clean... ;)

25. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Ajs328 its not my work its down to the last owner,one of my good m8's on the uk section who sold me the car,so he must take the credit for the excellant condition of the car,glad you like the how clean it is,when we get customers in they are amazed at how new it look's,im quite taken back myself,it's nice to keep the classic's nice for future f-car owners to see in this condition,my next car hopfully will be a full on rain ferrari but not this one.