Garmin Catalyst | FerrariChat

Garmin Catalyst

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by 360Tom, Apr 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Does anyone here have experience with this? What are your likes or dislikes of it. I’m looking for something better than Harry’s lap timer but not overly hardcore

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is a good unit for those who don’t want to get into data. I have one and a few others. But it is not very effective unless you are pretty dedicated to step by step continuous learning. Otherwise it is like those who only ski at Xmas. By the time they are ready to make another step it is time to go home and forget what they learned Xmas week. If one is infrequently going to track then use Harry’s and just enjoy the day and scare yourself a bit but keep it shiny side up. Like skiing the more you learn the more difficult a hill you need for the same thrill. With “more” comes more risk and more $ spent. If you really get into this and like data then garmin is too basic. I’m a club racer all over the country but won’t invest my time with squiggly lines.

360Tom likes this.
  3. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Look at apex pro too. I like that as a casual device. I especially like it when I’m figuring out a new track. It gives me real time feedback and I can see immediately if what the apex pro says jives with my butt o meter. It helps to sneak up to one’s limits.

4. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The Aim Solo DL is the gold standard in the >$1500 price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes but...you have to get into the squiggly lines or else you just have a lap timer. You also need a car with obd2 protocol after 2008 to fully utilize the data. Garmin produces the squiggly line data internally and decides a very small subset of what can improve you. It will tell you "apex later" and help you sneek up on limits. Then you can see a few turns post session where you can improve. It is a great device. Apex pro will give you the turn by turn feedback at every turn while you are turning but it does not talk.

6. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the info. That’s helps narrow it down

7. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Another thing....mounting it! Apex pro is small like a pack of cigarettes. You mount it where you can see the flashing lights in your field of view.

Garmin is huge!!! 90% stick it on the windshield but many cars it is difficult to get out of the way and it obstructs vision on track. It has to be in line of sight of window because GPS engine reception. You don't need to or want to see it when driving but you listen to what is has to say and look at it after the session to know where to improve next time. You also need airpods or the like in your helmet. It can play through car speakers somehow but it is noisy with windows down. In racecar no stereo so airpods.

8. cchan842

cchan842 Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Some thoughts from my group of friends (we're all very experienced instructors with local clubs, a few have SoloDLs and a few Garmins):
    -The best use we've found is coaching each other when we're experimenting, and having it mounted in front of the passenger/coach. As we try different lines/techniques, the person sitting right seat can immediately see if we got an improvement or not (and a decent quantification as well).
    -It's nice that the data is overlaid with the video, so don't have to spend time later merging.
    -On the downside, the data items are limited, and no data can be exported, so the analysis is limited to what you do on the device.
    -Also, the GPS line and G-force graphs are small, so you don't have a lot of resolution if you're trying to work on more nuanced line modifications or input adjustments, you can't easily tell the difference.

So I'll throw out, I think it also depends on one's level of experience and planned usage.

9. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    From what I’ve seen on my buddies catalyst, they were able to export out there vids with overlays and great detail. I do find the real time intuitive coaching feature interesting. I know it helped my friends shave seconds off their laps.