Gasly out, Albon in | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Gasly out, Albon in

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Aug 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    yep, he fell for Renaults trap of ''great engine'' and quite likely ''chassis/aero in the works much earlier than anyone else''...added with the questionable at best Honda engine and 30 million other reasons, he made a decision most others would've made. I don't blame him for it. It seemed reasonable for Renault to fight with RBR given Honda's history.

bmwracer, william and stavura like this.
  2. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    I feel bad for RIC, was always rooting for him, but this Renault decision was...unfortunate.
    Hopefully he can revert it, but realistically I don't think he will...

william, Bas and stavura like this.
  3. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Could be worse..... he could have gone to Williams :D

Bas and VPX like this.
  4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Red bull likely knew renault were going downhill, hence why they dumped them as an engine supplier. DR should have considered that...but prob just believed his own hype that he could win with anything.

But I get why he wanted to leave. It sucks when you’re forced to take a back seat to an up and comer....it happens to us all sooner or later. Sometimes we’re forced into career setbacks. And/but Renault wrote a big cheque ;)

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    RBR had quite enough of Abiteboul and his smarmy approach to their relationship. I lost count of the times I though Horner was going to backhand him.

Bas and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  7. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I think Horner is a sleaze too

Igor Ound likes this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Red Bull's idea of partnership is that they can dictate and dominate their associate.
    Don't forget that Red Bull and Renault shared 8 titles during the Vettel era
    But when the hybrid formula came along Renault became the whipping boy and was accused of all the failures.
    In fact, Renault lost all control of their power units once they reached Red Bull that operated them often against instructions.
    Red Bull tinkered with components, mixed them up, didn't respect replacement schedules, etc ...
    Renault was also blamed of failures cause by installation errors in the chassis, that were completely out of their control.
    The joke was that any success was credited to Red Bull, and any failure blamed on Renault.

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Redbull were as much to blame for their own mess with Renault. A good summary above. Redbull were almost without an engine. Horner and H-nut are a sad pair.

Igor Ound and william like this.
  10. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Horner took a B team and made it successful . . . all it took is boatloads of $$$$ and Adrian Newey.

Bas and william like this.
  11. DF1

Good for him. He is not perfect either lol. As the arrogant team face he is no diplomat and wanted it both ways with Renault. When they did win with Renault he was quiet as a mouse. Their are 2 sides to all divorce.

Good at Redbull does not equate good at other teams

Igor Ound and william like this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Spot on, very incorrect way of acting. A company's manners and ethics reflects its owner's and this does not give a good impression of Matechitz, and his lieutenants, Marko and Horner...

william likes this.
  13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    #88 pilotoCS, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    You and a few others here are picking nits. I greatly admire Red Bull for taking a gamble with Honda and doing quite well, unlike a certain other team.

stavura and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Maybe both Red Bull and McLaren have learnt from experience not to put so much pressure on their engine partners.
    Both seem to progress since they switch suppliers, although Red Bull is way ahead.

DF1 likes this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red Bull had to mix and match as Renault never produced enough parts to begin with. They kept saying they had immense updates so no soon-to-be obsolete parts would be made so they told RBR to ravage through parts bin. and then engine updates where delayed...or non-functional!

Renault is still **** and unreliable. Honda is making leaps forward. Red Bull got it right.

stavura, pilotoCS and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Renault insiders tell a different story. Horner and Co permanently whining, etc ...

Red Bull won 12 GPs during the association, but gave no credit to Renault for it, instead they used the media to constantly dicredit it. .

Not a good way to keep a partnership going.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Renault has a long history of talking ****. Of course they're going to blame REd Bull for Renault failures...

stavura likes this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Surely you mean a lot more than 12 wins William, a typo?

Bas I am no Renault fan and you would not see me dead owning one BUT fair is fair Red Bull never were with them.

william likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Actually, it was the other way around !!

Marko and Horner couldn' t wait for a GP to be finished to go to the press room and start lambasting Renault at the first opportunity !

Then, one year Red Bull pretended they had dumped Renault and found a new supplier, only to find out Mercedes wasn't having it.

Red Bull wasv stuck with no engine, and Renault was convinced by the FIA to renew supply.

I wish the story was told as it was, and not embelished in Red Bull's favour.

Hocakes likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

12 wins during the hybrid era.

21. DF1

This. Many here were happy to see Redbull with no motor potentially and leave. Inputs were- not a real team not a manufacturer etc etc LoL. Now they are super, Horner is super, Honda is so super lol. Really???

william and Nembo1777 like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, I wished at the time that Renault would drop them for good.
    That would have erased the smile on their faces and left them stranded.

23. DF1

A poor way to treat people including those who work for Red Bull and would have no job if Renault does NOT POWER the car eh?

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You appear to nit pick from recent GP's. Of course the data will skew in ''your'' favour.

Renault produced an unreliable turd of an engine. And a slow one at that. Parts where failing left right and centre. If they replaced entire engines they'd get even more grid penalties, and even when sometimes they wanted to just replace an entire engine it wasn't possible because renault didn't bring enough parts. It wasn't just in the last year it's been happening since the hybrid era started.

So over the course of a season, for various reasons, parts became out of sync so more penalties where applied, again.

Yet somehow Red Bull is to blame for Renault's complete and utter failure? I don't see why.

If the failures where happening just in red bulls we can point the finger at red bull having made a crucial error on their part that made the car unreliable. But it happened for all renault powered cars. Year or year.

And guess what? Since dumping Renault, they had far fewer engine failures with the ''oh so bad'' Honda...and Renault? They promised the world, yet again...oh what a grave mistake they made dumping Renault and they'll regret it. Except the standard kept happening...engine failure after engine failure, not on the power level as they keep promising yet again...

Yes they stole Ricciardo from RBR...great! They have a fantastic pair of drivers now and the end result is....?

Last year at this exact point Renault had 82 points and 4th in standings. Now they have just 39 points, are 6th in the standings...and are behind Toro Rosso even!

Renault hasn't a leg to stand on. You can blame Red Bull all you like but the truth is that RENAULT failed.

25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1

Ofcourse none of the mess would have happened in the first place had Mercedes agreed to supply Red Bull with PU's

DF1 likes this.