Gated f430 vs manual gt3 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gated f430 vs manual gt3

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ffre92, Oct 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I agree with the 991 comment. Fast? Sure (but not THAT fast). Exciting? Yes (on the track if driven at 9/10ths or if on the street, at criminal speeds only). Short of that, it was a little boring (as in, easily daily driveable!). Way too composed, or "clinical." Kind of like the first time I drove a GTR...just too easy to drive...no drama. I'm sure a manual 992 gt3 would be better though due to the increased engagement. All of this is the main reason I will NEVER be without a 996 gt3. Cheap (relatively), reliable, super fun to drive, very raw, and very light, nimble and toss-able (think air-cooled hot rod 911 but with an extra 200hp). I've never driven a manual 430 but I would take one of those (or a scud) over a 991 gt3 every day, and I'm a Porsche fanboy. I really love manuals but I can say that the Scud is the only car I have every tried where I don't think I would prefer a manual version. Its just so outrageous at full tilt, with the rifle-bolt shifts smacking you at redline in each gear. Really has to be experienced to appreciate. I will say, however, that when I'm just tooling around I'd probably take a manual instead, but for those times when I'm really getting on it, the superfast f1 really shines and is something special indeed.

Also, yes, the 430 steering is vague in comparison, but: 1) much of that could be due to the need to tighten some fastener/nut somewhere on the steering column (documented many times on the forum); and (2) nearly every non-gt3 has vague steering in comparison to a gt3

DeTomasoGTS74, cladd2000 and Ffre92 like this.
  2. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
    I sold mine because it (997gt3) beats you up on the regular road. Maybe the 991 gt3 is a little softer. Passengers hated it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I know it’s not Exactly what you’re looking for but I am a Porsche owner who went the other way and got my first gated 360. They are just a completely different cars. I do not necessarily love newer generations GT3, for me they ended with the 997

I made a video online of the first impressions of the 360 ( ) but I have made other videos about the gt3

Newer gt3s are “less passion” and more “pure driving fun”. The turn in is telepathic and the squatting on exiting a turn is just fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ffre92 and clean512 like this.
  4. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Wow, small world! In watching your 1 year anniversary GT3 video, I live down the street from you.

AndreB likes this.
  5. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Good advice. I don’t mind a harsh ride for a weekend car, but want something more modern with a cpo that I can occasionally drive daily. I’m thinking 991.2, or 992 when they eventually hit the 2nd hand market.

6. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Sounds like you made up your mind.
    A gt3 is definitely a different beast than a base model. Maybe you will like the GTS

7. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    No way - stop by to say hi!

8. FFmaybe

FFmaybe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2014
    I have really enjoyed this thread. Many of us have been frustrated by the lack of “feel” in more modern sports cars. I have a 997.2 GT3RS and bought it after being underwhelmed by a 991.2 GT3 Touring. The 997.2 is smaller, you feel everything through the steering wheel. The GT3 Touring felt like a GT by comparison.

I bought a Challenge Stradale to get the “GT3RS” feel on the Ferrari side. It delivered on sound (one of best sounding cars of all time), seat-of-pants feeling. And it wasn’t so powerful it couldn’t be used on the street (my fear on the Scuderia, as well as concern around too much electronic intervention. I have never driven a Scuderia to get that comparison). I didn’t love the transmission both the somewhat (not terrible) rudimentary F1 as well as, when going slow, the lack of involvement relative to a true manual. I am selling the CS due to too many cars and what I want to keep the most. I agree on vintage cars and that is where I typically gravitate. I always want a car with too much power, but with modern cars it’s typically unusable on the street (you get to a terminal velocity so quickly you have to slow down). I did buy a manual C7 Z06 to see if I could scare myself, though. I think a Viper might accomplish the aforementioned as well. But the Corvette and, likely, Viper still have a lot of sound insulation and fake-ish exhaust noise that removes from the experience to a degree.

Ffre92, boostedt0y and catdog like this.
  9. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Wait, you say you gravitate around vintage and modern cars have too much power, yet you talk about C7z06 and Viper?!?

10. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

you should try a scud. Its like a CS but with much more power (both seat of the pants and objective), and the transmission is more refined, being the final iteration ("superfast2) of the f1 system. And I don't find it to be "too much" on the street, like I have so many modern "supercars." Still clunky and somewhat clumsy at slow speeds, but I'm ok with that trade off given the experience when getting on it. BTW, I LOVE THE 997.2 GT3 RS. So much so that I am pretty sure I will own one at some point. I think its the pinnacle of the gt3 line (mezger, manual, perfect gearing, not too big, still somewhat nimble, reliable, etc..., etc.... I will say however, with all due respect to my rennlist friends that posted on the thread linked above, in straight line speed the scud is significantly quicker than a 997 gt3 of any version (including 4.0 versions...my buddy has owned two). Still not a torque monster, but boy do they move once the revs start to climb (much like the mezger gt3's).

11. boostedt0y

boostedt0y Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    the scud is much faster than a 997 Gt3. Scud acceleration reminds me of 991.1 Gt3 with pdk.

12. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Agree. And this video seems to show a 991 and scud with very similar speed (and comports with my impressions having lots of seat time in both).

13. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

This video is also a good representation of what a scud can do (and I'm also very much a 997 gt2 fanboy).

14. FFmaybe

FFmaybe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2014
    Thank you for your replies. Yes, I mostly have vintage cars. My favorite is a 356 outlaw with a 150hp 1.9L motor. It’s def fast enough especially for the size of the car. Oddly, I have a 1981 euro-spec 308GT4 with a custom exhaust that sounds a lot like the CS. Same V8 I guess. That car is also a great size but seems underpowered unless you’re getting on it. Truth be told, I’m trading the CS for a carb Boxer. I should reduce cars but somehow that rarely happens. But, yes, I am always in search of a modern car that delivers that vintage car exhilaration. And then how much power is too much?!? The problem is that the more power, the more electronic controls and distance between driver and experience.

I will try a Scuderia at some point. Would a manual 430 with aftermarket exhaust and some sound deadening removal give as “raw” of an experience?

15. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    There are 2 things in this world that you can't have too much: Money and Horserpower :)

16. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
    And time to use both!