Gated Manual 360 Coupes - Modena Market | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Gated Manual 360 Coupes - Modena Market

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kevin Rev'n, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. igor

igor Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Ha it sold yesterday lol... Damn people are flying on these

2. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    I tried to buy this car a few years ago, but wasn't able to. It was at Cars on Fifth in Naples and at the time was owned by an eye doc from Sarasota who kept a 9mm under the seat. ("Sure you can sit in it, just let me take my gun out from under the seat first!") I loved the color combo.

I spoke with the seller at the show. I got his number, and I tried to call him a few weeks later. He never called back so I moved on.

Turns out, the car remained for sale, and someone I know later bought it. I was bummed that I missed it at the time, but I ended up with a nice 550 instead.

It is a stunning color combo.

2000 Ferrari 360 Modena Serial Number 121956 - main page

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sheese...Those guys really know how to make an ad! Nice history detail!

4. igor

igor Karting

Dec 27, 2010
  5. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest

I think so. Granted it has some nice options and add ons, the shields are not factory. I was told 88k would buy it which I still think is too high. When I see dealers putting up newer cars with half or a quarter as many miles and prices in spitting distance of these year 2000 cars, I know they will sit until someone with more money than sense comes along.

6. igor

igor Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Ya the red one I posted earlier with 15k miles sold for for $85k... This black car is pretty sweet but with 26k miles even $88k is too high. Is it a consignment car? Also no mention of the belts or clutch being changed. If she needs both $85k would be too high I'm thinking

7. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest

I thought someone said it was a consignment but I'm not 100% positive.

8. igor

igor Karting

Dec 27, 2010
  9. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    This car is local to me and I went to see it myself today. I personally think they are over pricing it, but what would be a realistic market price? I was told the owner turned down an under mid 60's offer by a dealer. I was thinking since there's next to no records, no aftermarket exhaust either that it's a mid 60's at best. The paint shows well and there is a nice clear bra over I think the entire hood at least and front bumper. The only service records they have are a belt service done by an indy in the middle of last year and it looks like the basest of based services, nothing else was noted as done. I think the brake pads look a little thin so that may be in the works soon as well. The leather was a bit dry and the passenger headlight appeared foggy on the inside. Otherwise I felt it was quite clean (I'm trying to be picky but diplomatic on this). Because the miles, would this ever sell for more than $65k b/c it's a manual? I like the color and frankly, I feel like I could put some more miles on it and not realize much of a downside once it's all checked out and things addressed or upgraded on it. Thoughts?

1999 Ferrari 360 | GR Auto Gallery

10. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    It looks like its in great condition - think you can see by this thread that the manual 360 market is pretty strong. I'm biased of course - think I would only let mine go for a pretty strong number given what I can replace the car with.

11. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I'm not disagreeing with there being a premium paid for them, I'm just looking at the broader market and the miles associated with the cost. There's one who's listing disappeared that I'm still in touch with that is an almost identical car with 22k miles on it and the owner is asking $70k. Granted the tranny was rebuilt due to some bad syncro's, but there's records and a whole slew of other items that were replaced on it. I'm just thinking car for car in this regard that this local one will either need to come down considerably, or the 22k mile car is a steal even though the tranny needed rebuilding.

12. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    From what I understand, the synchros wearing, especially for 2 & 3, isn't uncommon... and if fixed, not sure why it would impact the value. Mileage is one factor - but you can have a higher mileage car that is really cared after, but a low one that isn't. Maintenance only tells part of the story, the rest can be seen when you look at the nooks and crannies.

13. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    That's the issue with this one... outside it looks really nice, but there's next to no records. I get mileage thing, but pretty much every other car on the market is in the 20-30k sweet spot. I figure with the lower mile example I could drive it a few years and still get most out of what I have into it. With the local one, I'm starting with a 15k mile penalty assuming they would even come down to a 65-70k price point....

14. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Ok - no records, but how does it show mechanically? It really looks cared for in the pictures - but pictures is hard to tell. A good mechanic can tell you if its been babied or bullied. I see your logic on the miles - if its that kind of trade off for you, look for a lower mile car, but you'll be nowhere near 65 for a good car I would imagine.

15. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Kevin - what does your data show if you graph Price/Mileage directly with a best fit trend line?

16. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #141 Kevin Rev'n, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I'll take fries and a Dogfish Head 90 minute with that... :)

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    So Kevin's data puts it right on the curve. But I have to say, if you have a car "in the sweet spot" and it has everything AND it is only $70K why are you still shopping. Something doesn't sound right here.

19. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I think this is super interesting - thanks Kevin. Looks like a decent 15k deviation for any given mileage (throwing out the low and high garbage) - based on condition, documentation, selling method, options, modifications, etc. Also helps a lot figuring mileage into a purchasing decision (for folks are worried about mileage), or sellers to set a target price.

20. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #145 Kevin Rev'n, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wow that is a stunner!

I can understand the hesitation. If you keep for ten years then you are trying to sell a 50K miler but the curve does flatten out a bit. I don't think you can use linear extrapolation because it is a badass car! The thing is to not get a needy or uncared for car. Personally I would rather over pay the market a bit for a car that needs nothing except fluid changes for a couple of years. Try and track down the owner or previous mechanic. This place can be useful in that regard. That TDF is really special and the two tone dash (if black) and seat piping = home run to me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    The car was sold by Marshall Goldman in October of 2014 with 37k miles on it, third owner hasn't had it five months. Anyone keep track of what runs across Marshalls site? I'm curious what their asking price was back then.

The dash is black.

No one rush towards this car while I figure out what I want to do! :)

In all honesty, if they really come down in price it'll go quick, but I don't see it moving at their asking price really fast.

Also, this was the first time I sat in standard 360 seats and was wondering if it's normal to feel like they're really stiff? The side bolsters really stuck in my sides... seats are not nearly as comfortable as my NSX's seats. Was kind of disappointed in that. I wish I remembered better what the sport seats felt like that I sat in last year....

22. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Good luck finding a manual car with racing seats and paying 65k!

23. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    Car was for sale for 67k at Marshall.

24. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Thanks!

25. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I don't expect to.... :) I've been eyeballing that black one at switchcars but they're just too high in my opinion on their lowest price. That car does check all my wants though with the exception of the color.