Gated Manual 360 Coupes - Modena Market | Page 62 | FerrariChat

Gated Manual 360 Coupes - Modena Market

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kevin Rev'n, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #1526 Kevin Rev'n, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. Trouts10

Trouts10 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Richard Heilman
    That Newport Beach one looks pretty clean, as you would expect from a dealer-listed car, and you certainly can't complain about that mileage figure. But doesn't appear to have much in the way of factory options.
    I still think you should "adopt" that Giallo one that's been bouncing around - nothing sadder than a poor, unloved, and unwanted three pedal! :(
    And, please, can you make that garage a little cleaner and better equipped?

3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    What is this orange peel you are referring to?

What is it? I haven’t noticed it on the car but I will look closely (unfortunately the car is parked offsite).

4. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When I was shopping for mine (Dec '18), there were no more than 5~6 gated coupes. This yellow one at Fusion was amongst one of the ones I considered. But after a PPI yielded some unsatisfactory results, I decided to pass.
    Nothing that couldn't be corrected, but to address the issues might have taken $10K+ to sort.

These gated coupes do pop up every so often between the major classified sites, but you can't argue the fact that they are definitely getting harder to come by. Even if there were up to 10 gated coupes at any one time, it would still be a small qty to choose from. Something tells me those who own one now know to hold on to them.

808Forza and one4torque like this.
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Keeping mine! 01 gated Modena rosso fiorino.

Hoping this 04 gated get's all the money!

G. Pepper likes this.
  6. Trouts10

Trouts10 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Richard Heilman
    I have not seen any gated 360's for sale at Pebble Beach this weekend but I may have missed something. They may just still seem too "plebeian" for most potential buyers with that rather misleading number of "17,000 produced" that is constantly published for all 360s made, instead of the approximate 4000+ figure if we adhere to the "25% made with manual transmission" estimate or the usual (I think) approximate 1800 Modenas. Interesting that the 430 Scuderias at Pebble Beach auction this weekend with F1 transmissions and their 2000+ production figures all have more than $200k estimates. So I agree that most owners like myself see these gated, well-sorted and maintained Modenas as treasures not for investment value, but as gorgeous joys to own, admire, and drive. But I can almost guarantee they will increase in value over the years when more articles and accolades come their way. Maybe the "automatic granny tranny" owners of post-2007 F cars out there are just jealous! :)

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  7. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The interesting thing is...regardless of the "total amount produced", if you can't find them when you're looking for one, then you can't get them. So my perspective is...."to hell with 15K cars made" or whatever the production numbers truly are, they mean nothing when your selection on the market is down to a few cars. Think about it....just in N American alone, if there were 10 samples listed for sale, and you had slim pickings on something you wanted, would you really care that they made "X" number of gated coupes?

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  8. Trouts10

Trouts10 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Richard Heilman
    Well, yes, of course, agreed - production figures don't really mean anything except, perhaps, to collectors looking for rarity. It took me more than two years to find a car that met my rather strict criteria, and I'm not saying that with pomposity - it's just how I approach most things I want and buy whether it's a $25 item or a $100k+ car. I turned down a few decent "candidates" and ended up paying "top dollar" for my Modena, but I really didn't care then and I really don't care now. Nothing is worse than making a purchase of anything, especially when it's expensive in your eyes, and then wishing you had waited and found a better example or paid more for one you really wanted. In my case, I have seen only three or four manual Modenas for sale since late 2015 when I purchased mine that would make me happy. As I mentioned, I haven't been following the gated 360 threads for awhile, so I'm not sure if you have found your ideal car. If you have, great, but if not, be patient! Like a wife, you may not find the perfect one, but at least you can find one pretty close if you sort through the "pickings" :).

PFSEX likes this.
  9. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    orange peel is the texture you see to the left and right of the indicator, primarily on the bumper. often the result of the paint drying to fast. it can be wet sanded and polished out. I just found it interesting. not trying to be critical!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    ...and the fact that North America only received ~35% of all cars produced at that time.

Trouts10 likes this.
  11. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Rear bumper re-spray.

12. Trouts10

Trouts10 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Richard Heilman
    My thoughts, too. Not trying to downplay this particular car because it looks like a very fine example, but it does seem to indicate there was a bit of body work done at some point to possible damage in that area, even though the Carfax report shows a clean "bill of health". It might have been just an errant getaway parking lot "shopping basket incident." No conspiracy theory here...just sayin' there does look like a bit of re-spray for whatever reasons might have happened.

13. MrRdStr

MrRdStr Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    AJ.
  14. Trouts10

Trouts10 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Richard Heilman
    I think the buyer must be smiling but I don't think the seller is. Maybe the tech industry wealthy Millennials are afraid of that strange looking metal stick coming up from the transmission hump. Perhaps if it was an F1 with some buttons on the steering wheel a bidding war might have happened and the selling price would be approaching a 458. At least we now know that if we want to sell a gated car pretty cheap, we can list them on BaT for a quick turn-around.;)

15. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    It’s actually my car now. I’m going to check it out this weekend.

Kevin Rev'n, G. Pepper and MrRdStr like this.
  16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    welcome newwurldmn.

alot of good resources here

17. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    Thank you. There are. I’ve learned a lot in my two weeks on this forum.

18. MrRdStr

MrRdStr Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    AJ.
  19. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    That piece is fiberglass and given the mileage of the car, I suspect it is all original. Many detailers are "critical" of the polishing that new exotics get. This might be a case in point to their argument.

You see those perfect cars at pebble beach? They were NEVER that perfect. Especially back then...

I hope you enjoy your car! If you are ever in the mid-Atlantic, look me up.

20. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    What do you mean about the “polishing that new exotics get?”

Will do. If you are ever in western mass give me a shout.

21. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks. But I have a sense that I overpaid. The auction was pretty wild, in the last few
    Minutes there were 4 bidders. The last 360 mt just sold for 92k with a whimper.

But I am bery Happy with the car. It’s a sublime experience to turn it on.

Mimmo Blue and one4torque like this.
  22. ml65

ml65 Karting

Jun 22, 2009
    Farmingdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Mike L.
    Any opinions on gated spiders vs gated coupes? Had a F1 430 coupe, now a gated 360 spider, entirely different experience going through the gears top down at 6-7000 rpm, the engine is howling, the wind is ripping around the cockpit, you think you’re in the Monaco GP.

23. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    I have a red 360, spider, gated. Just got it out for a late Sunday (less traffic), 20 mile blast before dinner.
    Just can’t beat the top-down sound of the engine and Tubi and the clank of the gate.
    I would never trade it for a coupe.

ml65 likes this.
  24. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I just drove 200 mile home from Pebble Beach with 60 miles of fun roads. Most 3rd and 4th gears. Nothing sounds better then my 430 manual at 4-8k rpms Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ml65 and cwilson13 like this.
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't like fully open cars, I have a motorcycle for that. Much prefer targa tops and sunroofs. The Challenge Stradale exhaust on my 360 sunroof car sounds great with the top off.