Gathering at The Rock - Pictures | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gathering at The Rock - Pictures

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Nov 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Isn't the most noted areas of that place under government control? If I recall one of the islands that was used for launches was actually a NATO bombing range come post cold war years?
    http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/History/vonBraun/Visit/visit.html

Its a sign of the times Andreas. As mentioned in an earlier post, Glenview NAS ( where George Bush Sr. trained, ) is now a mall. The largest U-boat wolf den out in France just recently found the same fate and may be converted into a mall/shopping center.
    http://www.gmarch.com/Lorient/index_Lorient.html

As for Bill's TV thing, suburbanites would have to wake at 6? What's the traffic like at that time of the monrning given its a holiday? Im more curious than showing intent. What's one more H2 to see anyway?

RocketBoy

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Peenemuende is under gov control, off limits and they're doing zip with it. Recently saw a report on TV and everything is falling to ruins. Pitty.
    Heard about the submarine den. Sad as well. At least we got our Uboot now in an exhibit worthy of it.

Traffic on Thanksgiving morning is basically non existing. And you don't have to be there at 8am sharp. The advantage of being there earlier is, that (if you like to be interviewed with your car) you don't have to wait in line as more and more folks with their rides arrive.

Bring the H2. I bet you'd be the only one and it would be highly appreciated by the crowd. One thing I really like about this event is, that it is so hugely different from anything else: There are farmers with John Deeres, Hot rods, American Iron, MG club, modern Mercs and then us. The spectrum is wide as can be. An H2 fits in nicely.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah,the MG Club has long been the most Reliable Ones to participate. Rain,Snow,Below Zero temps. They always show up...even with tops down,(or,No tops at all) And,I always heard that the Vehicles from the Morris Garages weren't very dependable!?...:) Now,if THEY can do it..........

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #29 tifosi12, Nov 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    I'm thinking of going, but only thinking right now since I'm having a late night Wednesday night. I'm not quite sure where it's at, but since many of us are coming from the western burbs, maybe some of us could meet up somewhere and caravan downtown...Frank, Carla?

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sean,

if you scroll down in this thread (page 2) you'll find a pic of the map where it is. Basically the road on the West side of the Science & Industry museum.

Would be a blast to have you with the TR: I'm sure Bill is going to do another "search for a real Ferrari". So far none of us here qualify, since we're all V8. Yours is a real Ferrari, has 12 cylinders and is red. Dingdingdingding!

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,Andreas. I believe that you've made it down there twice already,No?

Well,for me to get down there is very quick and easy....I just hop on Butterfield Rd. East to Roosevelt Rd. East which merges right into the Eisenhower. Thursday Morning should be Wide Open. And,when the IKE is wide Open,it's actually only a little over 10-15 Minutes to Downtown. (Over an Hour otherwise...:( ) Then,South on LSD to the MSI. Another 10 minutes or so.

Sean,If you did want to meet up. I am going to grab a few more Doughnuts and a couple of "Boxes of Joe" at Dunklin Donuts on 22nd. St. in Oakbrook. (Between RT.83 and Summit Av.) South side of the street by the Stop light.(Theres also a Jamba Juice right next door.) If you guys want to meet up there,at say,07:30AM. Maybe a few minutes earlier. Just give ne a Call in the AM either way. My Cell # is:630-292-3869 ( Or just leave a message anytime before that if you don't think that you'll be going. )

I plan on going no matter what the Temp. The only thing that will prevent me from going will be any Falling or Accumulated Snow.

8. screentime

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Wow, just heard they're predicting 20s for Thursday. Not only will we be warming the engines up when we leave, we'll be melting the frost off the windows!

Andreas, I thought a 'real' Ferrari had 'Ferrari' written on the headers (this then includes the Dino with no Ferrari badges)....so if you showed up in an F40, are you saying it would not be as 'real' as my TR because it has a twin turbo V8 as opposed to my V12?

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The 'real' was as opposed to a replica.

Your car still as a few "problems" in the ultimate purists eyes: not a front engine and manufactured after 69 when Fiat took over. Sorry. :)

10. screentime

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Sorry, got confused since you mentioned V8s then said mine was real because it was a V12...

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! Yeah,but who cares what those self proclaimed "Purists" Think....I go with what Enzo Ferrari thought! THATS what Really and Truly matters...:)

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh, don't be harsh now, think about all the folks with 355, 360 etc. Enzo wasn't even able to bless those.

Well, mother nature dealt us a blow this morning. I wonder how many are still showing up tomorrow? Chuck, will you tie Carla in the gumball trophy? Rocketboy, will you have the last laugh with the mighty H2?

I'll arrive with something made in Kentucky rather than Maranello. :)

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! Oh yeah,I know....but those cars are just "continuations" of the Mid-Engined,V8 308 Cars,that Enzo devised..:)

BTW...'Vettes were mostly made in St.Louis up to,and into the 1970's. I think that the other one was in California,if memory serves me right... Bowling Green didn't open until the 80's. Then they closed the other Corvette Plants.

We should do an Overnight Drive down there some time. It's a very cool place. I've only seen TV shows and Video's though. I have never made the trip myself. But,my Daughter got to go Last Year on her 8th Grade Field Trip. Even she,(Did not receive the Car Nut Gene from me....Frankie got it all...:) ) thought that the Corvette Plant was cool. And there is some other neato stuff down there in Kentucky.

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Gobble...Gobble...Gobble.... Well,are we ready to light this Candle?....:)

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    What a fantastic Turnout! Despite the Freezing Temps,and Winds,which probably made the Wind Chill factor in the Zero - Range...:( We had 7 Cars show up! Cool!

Man,I had to Haul Ass back home. I drank over a half a Box of Coffee,and Nature was calling....Except that it was way too cold (and Light out) to use the Bushes....AND....I was trapped in my One Piece Snow Suit...Yikes!!!...:(

But,fear not....I made it!...:)

Happy Thankgiving Everyone!!!...:)

16. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yes, what a great turnout and two replicars showed up. Oh Boy! Well Andreas we made it on TV once again and even got Carla on it once we got her out of her warm car. Ok that's the last time I show up early to hold the spot for first car and first club. Who's up for the challenge next year? I'm not sure if it was more fun being there or the drive back home. Five of us headed out down 55 for return trips to warmer surroundings and much needed bio breaks. Shawn led the way and I must say it was a little tough keeping up with him but the Old American iron did well enough. Ok whose going to remember to watch the show and record it?

"HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE AND YOUR FAMILIES!"

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'll watch for the show and will tape it.

Happy Thanksgiving. We got plenty to be thankful.

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I get the show on Sunday,Wednesday,and Friday. So,I'll Record it,too. And let you all know the week when it's Airing. Because the New Show for the week starts on Sunday. Bill really was happy to see all of the Ferrari's and the little Alfa. Chuck,you should've also mentioned to him that Enzo Ferrari got his start Racing Alfa's! Hey,I'm sure we'll be seeing Him again in the future...:)

Yes,that was a Fun ride home on the Stevenson. Lots of heads turning,with smiles, as 1,then another....then another...then another....Ferrari passed them by...:)

And,Yes,Andreas. We certainly DO have alot to be Thankful for....Realizing our Dreams of Owning and Driving such Great Cars. And,meeting such a group of great People that share the Passion!...:)

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #44 tifosi12, Nov 24, 2005
    Bill will edit all our comments in a positive way. Nevertheless always afterwards the good lines I should have said come to my mind. Every time I get that mic in my face I feel like a deer in the headlights. Oh well.

Here some pics from this morning. The temp display outside Mc Cormick read 11 F and that's not even counting for the wind chill factor. So all the folks who made it this morning are a) nuts and b) deserve a big round of applause.

The die hard team was:
    Rick (1st on the scene)
    Frank (thanks for the donuts and coffee!)
    Carla (that jacket is too cool)
    Sean (a REAL Ferrari)
    David and Robert (meticulous QV)
    and last but not least Chuck and his dad also representing the Alfa club.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Wow, looks really cold! Sorry I missed it. My car is not back from FVM yet.

Are those motorcycles in the back ground? There's some diehards!!

21. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yes three Harley's showed up with me, two brothers and their cousin.

22. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    I had KP duty this morning.
    While you guys were having fun, My wife and I were slaving over a hot stove cooking a Thanksgiving feast for my inlaws. I was our turn to do the honors this year, so sorry I wasn't there to join in on the fun.

Dave

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #48 tifosi12, Nov 28, 2005
  24. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    That is a good shot.

25. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Any other cars/brands of special note? Gullwing Benz? Auburn or Tucker? Lambo or Porsche? ZZ Top like cars? Where are the Atlantic City like clad gals? I give respect to the local Ferrari crew for fighting the weather, but if any young gal decided to show off the normal garb on that show, that's some real guts and should merit an honorary Polar Bear Club award...

I like Frank's outfit. Once a bar brawling biker, last time a slick and cool gangster, now looking like an axe touting mad trucker. If any of you have problems with teeny-boppers at your meets, I definitely suggest sending ole Frank in for a little chat.

RocketBoy

PS: As I have a terrible cold/flu and just recently injured my foot, I am thankful to see such enthusiastic and nice people enjoying themselves on a cold yet sunny and bright day. Along with my usual wishes to Frank and Skip for better health, I hope everyone appriciates a healthy body and heart this thankful and giving season.