gear box oil change 2nd gear better | FerrariChat

gear box oil change 2nd gear better

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by zsnnf, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I know there has been many threads on this topic. Sorry if it is a repeat.
    2nd gear has been hard to engage when my car when cold. I sort of thought I would just have deal with it or rebuild the gearbox. I have about 30K miles on it. Well, I changed the gearbox oil this weekend to Torco 75-90 and on the first shift cold it went right in. I have used this oil in my race car up to 230 mph so I know it works, but I was real surprised how much better the cold shift was.

Rick

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #2 Chiaro_Slag, Mar 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    What model was this in? You list an F40 in your personal info...

4. mondialmerle

mondialmerle Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Egg Harbor Township,NJ
    Full Name:
    Merle Graham
    THANKS FOR THE POST. WHERE CAN I FIND THIS BRAND. I WORK AT A DEALERSHIP AND I'VE NEVER HEARD OF IT.

5. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Well, That's ME under the F40 in the dark............

You can find Torco at www.torcoracingoils.com

Hope this helps.

Rick

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    have you noticed any limited slip noise (or chatter) when making a 90 degree turn from a stop, accelerating briskly? I noticed this product does not have the limited slip additive, and the note that it will need to be added.

Redline recommends adding some to their "NS" or non slip gear oil.

7. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    We did a tight 360, a few 90s and a few full power passes with no noises yet. I do have the additive if needed. I'm not sure how the additive will effect the gearbox though.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks for the info. The more feedback on peoples experiences with different products the better. Based on Redline's recommendation, I used their 75w-90 NS product, but within a month, noticed some noise and vibration when making a sharp 90 degree turn coming out of parking lots. Adding 2% slip additive did the trick. All is fine now. Their standard 75w-90 gear oil (with the slip additive) is 5%, and their concern was that 5% would be too much, and might cause problems for the synchros (crunching). Not sure if they are being overly cautious or not as I have heard of people using the standard Redline stuff with no problem. A friend recently had Redline MTL installed at that seemed to be working well too. Though MTL is not recommended as it is less viscious and GL4 rated.

9. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Dave,
    I went thrugh all the NS no NS with Redline in my Corvette transmissions too.
    Torco makes a RTF (racing transmission fluid) But the F40 gearbox cooler has a spring that is viscosity sensitive and the RTF is too thin.
    I will keep aware of any chatter or gear noises and let you know. I have a busy weekend planned with the Redhead.

Rick