Gear Box problem | FerrariChat

Gear Box problem

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by DonB, Dec 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    So I'm driving my '84 BBi..cars running great, shifting great, the air is even working great. What could go wrong?

Approaching a light I downshift and select 2nd gear...no noise, no grinding, just goes into 2nd. I go to take it out of second into neutral and it's stuck! In second! Tried pulling on the shift lever, jiggling the lever, cussing at the lever, and no luck...still in 2nd.

I'm able to drive a short distance to a function and enter the parking lot and park. Shut the motor off and I'm able to wrestle the shift lever out of 2nd into neutral. However, now, it won't go into 2nd or 3rd. Not even a little. It feels like there isn't even a detent there. I can however get it into reverse, 1st, 4th and 5th with no problem.

After the function is over, I drive home using 1st, 4th, and 5th..reverse works as well. No noise, no grinding, no clunking, just missing a couple of gears.

I've had the car for 20 years with no drive line problems, and the car isn't tracked or driven hard..mostly Sunday cruising and rally's. Any ideas out there as to what might be wrong?

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Hopefully the shifting shaft lock nut backed off and out of adjustment. You can access the internal shift rods by removing the drivers side front motor mount.

Shamile likes this.
  3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Exactly what I was going to say.

I'm no gearbox expert but the second and third gear share the same shift fork and slide on the same rod. It sounds like the lock nut has backed out and the fork was stuck in second.
    If it's like the Testarossa, you can access a side access panel and readjust the fork....no engine out. You will have to remove the manifold to gain access.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when the engine is not running can you then shift into 2nd and 3rd?

5. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    NO..2nd and 3rd are "locked" out...engine running or not.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its an alignment issue with the forks inside. Can only guess why without looking inside but its something that can be addressed in the car. Even the front cover can be removed to pull the forward gear shift shafts out if a fork is bent or broken.

And to clarify, you can do it in the car but I didn't say it was fun!

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    :)

8. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Thanks Newman for the info I appreciate it. HAVING to work on the car when it's "broken" is never any fun! But at least it costs $$

Newman likes this.