Gear noise in the rear end of my 512 TR! | FerrariChat

Gear noise in the rear end of my 512 TR!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by twsii, Sep 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twsii

twsii Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    Birmingham,AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy Stinson
    I just noticed last week that when im driving the rear end has some gear(winding) noise. Not grinding noise but gear noise, it gets louder the faster i go and its only when i accelerate. There is no noise when i decelerate, could something be out of line, low fluid, diff going bad? Has anyone had this issue? if so what was done to fix it? Thanks Tommy

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Yes, there is a good chance that something is out of line.
    If you can hear it from the Driver's seat while driving it is bad news.
    If it is affecting the operation of the transmission it's REALLY bad.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE IT UNTIL IT BREAKS.
    Doing so can add an additional 10k to the repair bill.

3. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    What year is your car and how many miles

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Sorry Han ... not 10K but more likely 30K .... and I know .... ;)

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The 10k was a best-case scenario (in addition to what it would cost pre-emptively).
    The 30k figure just reinforces the reason why mine remains parked until it's major service.

6. twsii

twsii Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    Birmingham,AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy Stinson
    my car is a 1993 512 tr with 19k miles just did the engine out service.

7. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Chances are they put a sh*tty gear fluid in or put in too much slip additive.. I would flush it and fill it with Royal Purple, drive it a bit maybe 30 miles, flush it again and refill.. get whatever they put in out of there.. Dont panic..

R

8. zorro

zorro Karting

Jul 16, 2011
    Mr Chairman could be on to something, I agree. Start at the fluids, fingers crossed and go from there.

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #10 Melvok, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would do not so: have a F shop using a "listening device" at the gb before moving at all ...

My shop uses such a stescope with a iron pin at the end to hear noises: they will hear any squeeks if things are wrong back there !

Please: do NOT drive it anymore ....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. zorro

zorro Karting

Jul 16, 2011
    Another good starting point Melvoc. I hope it's nothing major....

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I honestly don't think changing oil is going to make that noise go away, unless it's 1000 weight grease, maybe...
    Once a diff starts making a pronounced GEAR whine the damage is done.

The whine in the OP's car COULD be made by something else. Let's hope so.

12. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    JUST hjad an engine out 30K? you say....hmmmm

since you seem to have indicated its a rotating mass issueNOT related to engine RPM, but to vehicle speed-axle rpms-then you may also rule out bearings in the 1st motion shaft, and PROBABLY lay shaft. In this case this is the pinion....if nthere are no THUNKS as you release the clutch, then the layshaft endfloat and pre-load is likely NOT the culprit....
    Since you state it is speed related and increases with speed-under load-it would suggest thyat carrier bearings are either shot, or, you've spun a race in a side cover and that explains the new slop in the tapered rolled-whichever side it may be-in either event, these allow pieces are each in the 5000+ each region and does NOT include the cost of a NOS 512M LSD carrier, replace the connector shaft as well-if you can still get an M version(always link to Mpartrs when available, they are more but it will be the end of the story.
    good luck-let us know...

obviously its bearings-somewhere, I'm familiar and have done many of these, and am fairly certain that it has not gotten tooo expensive yet...like I said, several hundred dollars in carrier sets, but condition of race housing will be the big question....
    ciao!

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Drain the GB to find particles of steel .... good luck ....

14. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    How long ago was he engine out done.. Did you just pick it up? Did you get it back a few months ago and now have this noise? Was this the first drive since the engine out? What fluid did he put in the gear box? Is there fluid in the gear box? Did you check fluid level in gear box? What kind of noise is it.. Whining? Chatter? Do you feel it in the shifter? Is she difficult to shift? Etc.. Give us some more info... I would stop driving her or safety sake... then breathe... and calmly check to see what is going on.. How do you drive her? Have you side stepped the clutch at all? Roasted the tires? Has you mechanic roasted the tires when he had it? I would also drain the gear box and see if any metal particals are in there.. It may be something or it may be nothing but a fluid issue.. If its somethings its going to be big.. The TR never has mercy on us.. She has a b*tchy attitude and sometimes like any other high class b*tch she wants you to go shopping for her because she wants something new.. and expensive.. Typical b*tch.. lol..

R

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    So, this post should be bulleted and made a Sticky so it can be referred to every time a new post is started about Diff noise in a TR, or any other car for that matter.

16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    * How long ago was the engine out done..
    * Did you just pick it up?
    * Did you get it back a few months ago and now have this noise?
    * Was this the first drive since the engine out?
    * What fluid did he put in the gear box?
    * Is there fluid in the gear box?
    * Did you check fluid level in gear box?
    * What kind of noise is it.. Whining? Chatter?
    * Do you feel it in the shifter?
    * Is she difficult to shift?
    * Stop driving her or safety sake...
    * How do you drive her?
    * Have you side stepped the clutch at all?
    * Roasted the tires?
    * Has your mechanic roasted the tires when he had it?
    * Drain the gear box and see if any metal particles are in there..

17. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Are you being sarcastic. Lol. I know I'm all over the place sometimes.

R

18. twsii

twsii Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    Birmingham,AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy Stinson
    thanks for all the help, ive put 300 miles on it since the service the noise was not there to start and ive never dumped the clutch or anything that would stress the diffs at take off, but i have run her in the upper rpm's. I had the service truck pick it up friday and later that afternoon we had some answers, first we checked the gear oil and it was fine there was no metal to be found and full. While the car was on the lift I turned the wheels and the tec listened with his stethoscope and we agreed the noise was coming from the driver side in the area of the diff, the noise was more outside the gearbox than inside. So monday the axle is coming out. Ill keep posting info as i get it. Thanks Tommy

19. Testarossa1

Testarossa1 Karting

Jun 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Lets hope it's an easy inexpensive fix :)

Best
    Tr boy

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    No, I'm not being sarcastic (at least not this time.;))
    The questions you pose demonstrate the correct thought process to systematically eliminate possible causes.

Not everybody has the ability or knowledge to do this.

I could probably add a few more just to round out the list.
    :)

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    You are on the right track.
    I don't want to be a downer but the first indications of an issue with the differential carrier appear at the driver's side carrier bearing, around where the axle bolts up.

Total failure manifests itself as cracks & breakage of the transaxle case around the axle flange area as the left hand bearing disintegrates from expansion of the carrier itself.

If this hasn't happened yet you may have "just" a bearing failure so far, possibly the beginning of a carrier split.

Best of luck.

Don't forget to check those links up above if you haven't already.

22. 512BLU

512BLU Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Spring Texas
    Full Name:
    G F O
    When my diff housing failed a number of years ago, it started whinning first. I did the drain the oil... check for metal... steps etc, and all was seemingly OK. I had a FOH look at it and they said likely the diff housing had failed. THEN sure enough, it suddenly had a gearbox oil leak as the housing at the CV joints on the drivers side finally cracked and broke. All 512 welded diff housings will eventually fail...

23. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Anytime you always have cart blanc with anything I write brother.

Be well

R

24. twsii

twsii Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    Birmingham,AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy Stinson
    Guess what members it's the diff that's gone, big surprise right. Should I do both at the same time? Need some direction from the experts here, thanks Tommy