Gear Swings are always scary | FerrariChat

Gear Swings are always scary

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by f4udriver, Jun 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    NbyNW, NürScud, Jaguar36 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I see no problem if you have the proper jacks under the airplane. I witnessed a gear swing on the No. 1 747 that did not have the proper jacks under it and it was a near disaster. Five jacks were required and two of the outboard wing jacks were not adequate. The head sheared on one and the airplane came down with two jacks puncturing the wing structure. Repairs were quickly made and just as quickly covered up. The F4U is an incredible looking machine!

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    It really is amazing to see how much an aircraft structure moves when doing gear swings on jacks as opposed to video shot in air for testing.
    We require a minimum of 10 full swings and a left system hydraulic reservoir bleed and service to ensure function and that there is no air in the left system. The Nitrogen blow downs are fun if you have the proper recovery drum. We use Skydrol LD4 in our aircraft and the system vents a nasty cloud of 800 PSI (we measured it!) nitrogen and Skydrol out the right side overboard port when the emergency handle and dump valve is reset.

4. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    We just did our two T-28 YCIs and I was the designated noo dood that got to man the hand hyd pump to bring those bastards up. I'll manage to be elsewhere next year...

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I can see the wing tip of a PT-19 in the foreground and the tail of a UPF-7 in the background. I can't quite make out what that big thing is that they are working on in the center.

6. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Lucky for us the dash 5 Corsair has an electric aux pump. So no hand pumping 60 to 100 times. PT-19 is to the right of the Corsair. Wings on the floor to the left are to my Fleet Model 9. It is almost done, hopefully it will be flying in the spring of 2020. Previous owner took it apart in the mid 50's so about 65 years since it last flew.

Hannibal308 likes this.
  7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The hardest part about jacking an aircraft is centering the tripods. The spring-loaded casters always bind one way or another.