Gearbox fill horror | FerrariChat

Gearbox fill horror

Discussion in '206/246' started by Tycho, May 8, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tycho

Tycho Rookie

Mar 11, 2008
    OK, Dino lovers of a challenge.

The fill plug on my ‘69 is impossible to remove. Not a unique problem. A socket hits an aluminium fin kind of thing and will not go on straight and so slips. I have yet to try a crescent wrench. I have on order from NAPA a 23 mm wrench. Now I fear that it should be a 24mm as someone suggested.

The P.O. has rounded the plug as well.

I have been informed that there is an additional fill plug accessible under the air filter. I have seen a photo, an Allen wrench is to be used. I do not have that fill plug on my L.

Then there is the transfer case. Atop this case is a fill plug. Oh, yeah?! Not on my car.

And so ? What do I do ? My latest thought is to make a slot across the fill plug head and then try a long flat head screw driver and a vice grip to turn it.

I did think of heating it, as with a torch. Of course, that scares me. What would a torch do besides the obvious frightening possibility ?

Thanks for any inspiration.

Oh, can the Dino be driven for 3.5 miles without gear oil ? That relates to another idea. I’m desperate.

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi,
    Do you mean the drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox? This has fins around it.
    The main gearbox fill plug is on the rear face of the gearbox housing between the rear engine mounts. There are no fins around it.
    On the transfer gear case/bellhousing there are also drain and fill plugs for the intermediate gears.

Don’t drive it, if not sure post a photo.

Regards, Andrew

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Buy an impact wrench/ hammer. Irreplaceable getting bolts and nuts off that have lovingly grabbed onto adjacent ferrite...

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I had the same problem last year.

Impact wrench stripped the fill plug.
    Heat did nothing and might ignite gas fumes!!

A friend finally used a hammer and chisel to knock/cut the copper washer out of place. That released the pressure and the plug unscrewed.

I feel your pain....

19633500GT likes this.
  5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Driving the car for 3.5 miles with no gear oil in the transmission will most likely damage it. I would not even consider it. The 206 and early "L" series cars have no fill plugs on the transfer housing for the drop gears. You need to remove the fill plug in order to refill the transaxle. Since the fill plug is already rounded off, you can use a long chisel and hammer or air chisel to catch the edge of the hex in order to unscrew it. You can generate a large amount of force on the plug with this method, just be very careful to not damage the transaxle housing. A new fill plug is only about $50, so I would get one before you start on the removal process.

NYC Fred likes this.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Many ways to get that off. Not all tools need to be automotive. Possible something like this will fit.
    http://perfectoproducts.net/right-angle-pipe-wrench/

cutting the nut and big screw driver
    Bigger slot make nut slot sized screwdriver
    Impact driver
    Cutting and welding a box wrench in a new angle
    Heating aluminium case then going after nut
    Hammer chisel
    Air chisel

NYC Fred likes this.
  7. Tycho

Tycho Rookie

Mar 11, 2008

8. Tycho

Tycho Rookie

Mar 11, 2008
    Oh, yes, I know the problem. Have you changed an alt belt yet ?

After an agony of more common attempts I finally used an air chisel placing the blade on an edge of the nut and off it came right off. A socket in an air gun should work.

9. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    Back in the 70s, I brazed a socket onto my fill plug. Never had a problem since.

UroTrash, Skippr1999 and NYC Fred like this.
  10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hammer and chisel. Period

Regards, Alberto

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Why not to just avoid over-tightening and apply other common sense preventive measures/techniques ?

12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    This is nice advice if you in fact installed the fill plug in the first place. Reading through the initial post it looked like it was installed by the P.O.

13. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
  14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, like with many or most of my online comments/replies, I wasn’t addressing just the OP, but rather any and all who read this thread, including those in the future, so they can try to prevent themselves or future owners of their current cars needing to resort to any of the aforementioned harsh removal methods/techniques already suggested by others.

swift53 likes this.