Gearbox filter (182100) | FerrariChat

Gearbox filter (182100)

Discussion in '360/430' started by AmoCS, May 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AmoCS

AmoCS Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Amo
    Hi, Do people replace this on an 18k service as it's not listed in the service schedule.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #2 tazandjan, May 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    one4torque likes this.
  3. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Wow, a lot of metal shaving

4. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Is that METAL?!?!

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, in this case likely aluminum from initial machining of the transaxle case and something you would like to remove asap. Looks like the one in the photograph was never cleaned since the car was new.

6. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    And to think that a mechanic at Newport Beach Ferrari told me it does not
    need to be cleaned and they never do......
    This after I asked him if they remove the bumper to get to it.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #7 tazandjan, May 6, 2013
  8. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    Wowzers!

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That is really below average to hear from a dealership that has been around so long. I guess there is some explaining to do on their part if they are missing the WSM pages!

10. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    This is why I want to tackle it myself, so I can see what it looks like and to be sure it is done.
    Does not instill confidence in having any work done there.......

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Should have said there is a magnet in the filter and the screen picks up everything else.

12. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    good information.

13. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #13 alex360S, May 7, 2013
    Very big PITA removing bumper to access a small filter, not to mention the damage one could cause! Quite ashamed of this Fine Italian engineering! I punched out a hole on the side of the bumper which gives me instant access to the gearbox filter and covered up with a rubber grommet when I'm done. Impossible to notice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's funny that you did that. I was going to ask about that exact modification, but I thought everyone would freak out!! I was considering the same!
    How did you line it up? Where did you get the plug? I was thinking of using a hole saw. I just didn't have the guts to possibly ruin a very expensive bumper. It really would make service in the future a breeze though.

15. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I used a 90 deg hole saw on an airtool to take up less space. Lining up the hole was a little bit of a pain, but with the undertray removed it is possible to do it all by measurement. Once a center measurement is found, pre-drill with a small bit and insert a thin rod of your choice to see if it lines up with the center of the filter cap. Once the center is found you can proceeed to drill the hole with the holesaw. I purchased the grommets from alliance-express in Canada, but I believe they have a US office. I've included the link. I'll have to get back to you with the diameter but I believe it was in the order of 1 1/4".

Wire Management | Grommets | Diaphragm Grommets

16. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    great idea.

17. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    My Brother is a genius.... :)

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to seriously consider doing this mod. The plug in the photo looks a little bigger than 1 1/4", but obviously it could be an illusion. It appears very tight to work in there, especially if it's only 1 1/4" diameter. Do you work from the space under the car, and use the drilled hole, just to have room to slide the filter screen out? Or do you grab the filter screen from the new hole?
    Sorry for the ignorance, I haven't changed the gear box fluid yet, and I haven't even removed the belly pan to look there yet.
    I would also greatly appreciate if it's possible to let me know exactly which plug was used because there is specific dimensions for panel thickness. By you doing it first, and sharing this with us would save us a ton of measuring, and/or trial and error.
    I guess the smartest thing would be to get the grommet first, then trial fit it into another material that a hole was cut into, such as cardboard, etc.?
    Thanks again!

19. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #19 alex360S, May 8, 2013
    The grommet used was the following;GRD21625375PA from alliance-express. It's a 42mm but I used a 41mm, or 1 5/8" holesaw and filed the opening to properly fit the grommet. I use the hole to remove the retaining bolt on the filter and slide it out completely through the new hole. It is not possible to remove the filter with the rear bumper in place without this opening. I've included pictures of the tool used. There is plenty of room to work with this set up. I've done this to my brother's 360 as well and service on the gearbox is a joke now. I'm sure that many people don't bother to clean the filter due to the poor design of having to remove the entire rear bumper and hence decrease the gearbox life or even cause damage.

20. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to do the same. One has to ask why Ferrari hasn't done this from the factory? Are they trying to force us to go to the dealer?
    I'm willing to bet that when the gearbox fluid was changed by the dealer before they sold me the car, they probably ignored the screen so they can save an extra hour or two labor.

21. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    Excellent photos Taz!
    Dealers should know this needs to be done but looking at your image of all those pieces is scary. I guess not all dealers follow the WSM

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stolen from a pro friend of mine.

23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Alex,
    Thanks for all the info, I ordered the plug, and I also found and ordered a 42mm hole saw on line (from China). The US hole saws seem to jump over the 42mm size. Hopefully it is a good fit without having to file it for a proper fit. I will do a test hole before it touches the car!
    I have one more question:
    I know that the bolt can be unscrewed through the hole, and the screen can get pulled out through the hole, but from looking at the service manual, I'm suspecting that it will be a little stuck. The manual says that you will have to gently pry it out if the hole. Is there enough room to work through the hole, or do I have to pry it from between the bumper and the gear box while under the car? I'm sure I'll figure this all out once I have the car on the lift, but I like to have all the knowledge that I can acquire before I dive into something. I'm sure after the first time I do the service on this car, it will all be an easy routine.
    Thanks again

24. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yeah I was wondering what they are doing too. You could always get or make a screwdriver with a 90 degree bend. If you want to make one...Torch it hot and bend in vice and then stick it in cold water to quench (harden) it again.

25. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #25 alex360S, May 9, 2013
    With the undertray removed, there is room between the bumper frame and the gearbox housing, allowing room to pry the filter. See picture attached top right where the filter is.