Gearbox Oil Choices | FerrariChat

Gearbox Oil Choices

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Schumi, Feb 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Ok, I've done searches and read threads without a definitive answer. What gearbox oil is the best for our 5 speed cars? Red Line Lightweight Shockproof, Heavy Shockproof, Red Line 75W90, or something else? I don't really have any issues, but want the best I can get. Suggestions?

2. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Ok, so I'm very new here but I did just run the same question by a few 'experts' and digested a mountain of oil threads. I'm going to use Redline MT 75w90, a GL-4 oil. I think the key is not the brand or even the weight but GL-4 vs GL-5 or 4/5 oil.

Rifledriver likes this.
  3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    FWIW:
    I called redline tech line a long time ago to inquire about trans oils. I was told for a 308, "DO NOT use anything but GL-5 rated oil". I recall the shock loading was the property to be most concerned about. Also, I recall that it's bearings that are most affected as opposed to gear faces and I thought this was unintuitive because bearings either require thin film protection for high loads, or heat removal properties for high speed (dental drill etc) but shock loading - interesting? Also they were opposed to putting MTL in a Ferrari trans. I do use redline in my cone synchro trans and SWEPCO in Porsche thrust synchro (Dino) boxes.

Anyway, I was glad they had a solid opinion which I'd expect to come from real testing & data and would recommend calling them directly.

4. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I purchased the Red Line MT-90 for the gearbox as it is a GL-4 and safe for brass parts. Do the 400i 5 speed cars have brass synchros or other brass parts? Should three quarts be enough as per the manual?

5. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    From my research and experts the 400i 5 speeds have brass synchros and therefore need the GL-4 spec manual transmission oil. It takes .60 gallons - so you'll need almost three quarts. You will need two of the copper crush washers, part #10263460 - one for drain and one for fill.

The rear limited slip differential gets a different oil, Red Line 75W90 Hypoid Gear Oil GL-5. It takes .44 gallons. Copper crush washer for the drain plug is part #10265160. You will need one part #10263460 for the fill plug.

You will need a hand pump to get the oil into the diff. and transmission holes. The fill plug for both requires a 12mm Allen wrench. The gearbox drain plug is 19mm. The diff. drain plug is a 42mm.

I can definitely tell the difference after I changed the oil in the gearbox. Thanks to all those who helped me and I hope this helps someone in the future have all the info in one spot to do these two simple jobs.

Paul C Cain likes this.
  6. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    My gear lube of choice in manual transmission and differential is Mobile 1 synthetic LS 75w-90. You can buy at your local auto parts store. My company makes gearboxes. A good synthetic gear lube seems to run much cleaner than a comparable petroleum gear lube. We have 1000's of testing hrs on both types. Cost seems to be the biggest factors for OE's choosing petroleum. There is nothing wrong with petroleum gear lube it will function fine a quality synthetic is my personal choice. NOTE: DO NOT USE EP 80-90 in your manual transmissions the EP additive is for extra pressure and will corrode your expensive/unabtainium bronze synchros. The EP additive is fine and is specifically for your differential.

7. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Does the Red Line product I used for the gearbox have this EP additive in it? I understood GL-4 was safe for our bronze synchros. If it is not safe, please let me know.

8. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    I don't know. Redline is a good company. Call them tell them the oil you used they will tell you. I haven't used their products since the sportscar racing days.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You made the right choices for your model's configuration. The EP (sulferus) additive is in the GL-5 gear oils as the hypoid gears have some sliding action under high load in their meshing.

10. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    RETRACTION/CORRECTION Steve is correct. I was of the understanding that the GL5 additives in the 75-90 Mobile gear lube was compatible with bronze. The spec sheet says so. Just got off of the phone with the Industrial Mobil Tech and he said NO. Guess I won't be using it in my manual transmissions any more!

11. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    That is good to know and thank you for the response. I am going to use the GL-5 Hypoid gear oil in the rear differential. Same question as before - is this safe/good/best for my car's differential?

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for the info guys.

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #13 Steve Magnusson, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    Your 250/82 OM specifies a GL-5 gear oil (AGIP ROTRA MP SAE 80W90: http://www.uleiauto.ro/phpeuri/oiluri/agip/ROTRA%20MP%2080W-90.pdf) for both the gearbox and the differential -- so no worries there. And using a GL-4 in the gearbox is no sin -- I've noted on other F models, with separate lubricant reservoirs like yours, that they use a slightly less viscous GL-4 in the gearbox and GL-5 in the diff (but that was before the days of multi-range viscosities so using a straight 90W GL-5 may have not shifted as well as a 80W90 or 75W90 GL-5 would today).

14. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    That is great information. Thank you.

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you mean on your 365GT4 2+2, I don't think that you have to worry about it as your 75/73 OM shows using the same GL-5 gear oil (Shell Spirax HD 90: http://aglayne.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Spirax-HD-80w90.pdf) in the gearbox and diff. Your syncros might be a sintered steel alloy rather than a bronze alloy (but I don't know for sure). You might try a GL-4 in the gearbox next time to see if you notice any difference in the shifting feel -- just a thought...

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I have seen a syncro and it didn't look bronze in color.

17. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
  18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I have tried several different gear oils in my transmission. I have had the best results with a GL4 not a GL4/GL5 oil. I currently have Amsoil 75-90 GL4.

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    GL4/5 is mostly marketing hype. It is not GL4. GL5 is appropriate for differentials and is counter productive to the needs of syncros, brass or not. Get GL4.

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I could tell an improvement with GL4.

21. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Kernite oil is(/was) nice on gearboxes with fragile synchro, it (for sure) gives a better grip and (presumably) reduces wear. This is what the Subaru guys were using here in France. This oil is not used a lot any-more, as the rules do impose stock oil now on many classes, but it is still a good choice for vintage cars.

Side note: obviously not tested on my 400i auto, but made quite a difference on my refurbished R5 alpine gearbox: oil additives do provide similar results on worn synchros, but Kernite feels better when the oil is hot.

Kernite now belongs to NCH.

22. heinz_r

heinz_r Rookie

Mar 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Henry Miller
    I use "Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W90". Works perfect…..