Gearbox position sensors read on 599. | FerrariChat

Gearbox position sensors read on 599.

Discussion in '612/599' started by omulec, Dec 17, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi there,

Is there anyone here with diagnostic that could read the position from 599 on each gear? Or at least R, 1st and 5th?

I have one with strange behaviour, problems with selecting 3rd and 5th only during the drive, and no errors at all. I suspect that someone messed up with the actuator.

On mine it's:
    N 725/494
    1 588/237
    2 586/787
    3 725/219
    4 721/780
    5 854/222
    6 852/785
    R 354/225

2. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Following. On mine I have the dash saying N while car is actually in gear due to a F1 pump failure while car was in gear. So the gear box needs to be set to N . Trying to borrow a friends computer to see if its possible to reset to N using a DIagnostic computer. ANy tips welcome too.

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Data from my 612 from before its 3 pedal days. Same gearbox and actuator though.

Gear / Max Sure Engagement Threshold / Min Sure Engagement Threshold / Minimum Engagement Threshold / Maximum Engagement Threshold
    N 463 / 543 / 329 / 842
    1 100 / 289 / 439 / 624
    2 747 / 950 / 442 / 621
    3 100 / 263 / 626 / 755
    4 754 / 950 / 623 / 752
    5 100 / 264 / 757 / 950
    6 751 / 950 / 754 / 950
    R 277 / 950 / 100 / 440

virendra likes this.
  4. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Can you shift gears using a diagnostic tool with ignition on and engine off? I need to bleed my f1 pump and clutch too.

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Well I definitely can, because I converted it from F1 to manual last year. :D But yes, I seem to remember you can do this. The TCU has a permissive on the starter turning, so it wont let the engine start if you're not in neutral, but otherwise you can shuffle through gears when the engine is off. I have heard of people using the "door opening" method to bleed the system. This is using the opening of the door, which triggers the F1 pump to activate, to pump F1 fluid whilst you open the various bleed ports. I never tried this, but I cant see why it wouldn't work in principle.

6. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    I guess i need to figure out what Gearboc ECU has stored as dash says N but car in gear. I was able to start car on hoist using a jump cable from starter directly and wheels started spinning, so it means the dash sign is not what physical position is and the display shows gear unavailable . But for past week im now getting an Immobiliser malfunction sign and cant start it. Need to wait for diagnostic tool.

7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The gearbox sends out a signal over CAN for gear indication, so certainly it would be worth checking int he live data if the indicated position matches the gear displayed. If not, then this would suggest a fault with the gauge cluster. The gauge cluster is also part of the hand-off for the immobiliser, so if you are getting immobiliser faults, then this maybe ties in?

The immobiliser functionality is built into the engine ecus, so you wont get any spark if the car is immobilised even if you do power the starter directly. 360Trev developed an immobiliser defeat ecu flash which I tested out, so there is means now by which you can bypass the immobiliser if thats becoming an issue. If needed, its also quite easy to bypass the TCU from prohibiting the stater from turning.

8. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Many thanks for the tip. Guess I first need to bleed the F1 pump, then the CLutch followed by using the Diagnostic to bring the physical gears into N. Since the wheels spin when cranked, its definitely in gear. However, the F1 pump having lost oil meant that the low oil light was on and suppressing the gearbox operation. So the Paddle shift had no effect on the gears as the signal going to the F1 pump likely doing nothing due to air in the F1 pump. I replaced the F1 pump and pushed the oil through the lower rubber hose as I did not have the tool to open the reservoir cap from the top. Done the door open and close operation many times and now the pump does turn off after a few seconds which was not the case initially when it kept running for a long period before turning off. WIll get in touch with Trev360 re the ECU flash. Tks

9. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    Thanks a lot. But this is real engagement position, or more an acceptable map?

10. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    Thanks brogenville a lot.

Even if it didn't look odd and the selected gears were in acceptable ranges, I replaced the sensors and now is working fine.
    A worning to everyone. If your F1 has strange behaviour on selecting the gears, check the sensors. This car was making the self adaptation without any problems, but had issues only on 3rd and 5th during the drive.

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Great stuff.