Gearbox Problem Code P1938 | FerrariChat

Gearbox Problem Code P1938

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FranzGT500, Aug 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FranzGT500

FranzGT500 Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Franz Müller
    Hello together,

My 458 has sometimes the problem that when I want to start it when its hot the dct lamp stays on after turn the ignition and stays in first gear.

When I try a few times with ignition off ignition on its normal. When the car is cold is always normal. While driving its always normal.

The Code is P1938 but the Ferrari program has no solution for this Code. Does somebody know anything about this Code?

2. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    What Node are you getting that error from? If that is in the NCR then it is indicating a calibration error in the gearbox computer. On several occasions I have seen pressure sensors cause that. When you say this occurs hot have you started the car and engine is running or you turn the key on and the car will not crank?
    The car should not be able to get into or display 1st gear without the car running as there is no hydraulic pressure. If you are getting a first gear displayed without the car running you need to look into that. The first step I would perform is a full calibration cycle on the gearbox, from there I would suspect a gear position sensor or a bent broken shift fork or detent.

3. FranzGT500

FranzGT500 Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Franz Müller
    Ferrari read the Code out with their Computer.

The problem sometimes occurs just when you turn ignition when the car is hot. The dct lamp stays on. When you start the car after that you can switch from p to n oder to 1 or to r. But you cant shift higher than first gear. When you turn on and off the ignition a few times the dct lamp goes off and you can start the car and drive without issues.

While driving the car the problem never occurs.

4. FranzGT500

FranzGT500 Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Franz Müller
    I found out that the problem occurs without driving. The car was the whole day in the sun and the light occured after the first start..

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    What does your dealer say ?

6. FranzGT500

FranzGT500 Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Franz Müller
    The car is there, but till now we havent found a solution.

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    A gearbox (gb) repair may cost you up to K$20 ….. keep your fingers cross ...

8. FranzGT500

FranzGT500 Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Franz Müller
    I know this... But when it shows up just from the sun without driving then it should be something else .